GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Anyone put a CANOE on the roof of their GLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
GLK 250
Anyone put a CANOE on the roof of their GLK?

My GF's enjoyed this 2015 GLK350 for half a year now, and it's been PERFECT. Just bought some OE MB cross-rails for the roof hoping we can take our canoe around to various lakes around our camp, maybe even the 3 hour drive back home. The canoe's light but long, so my concern is keeping it straight by strapping down the nose and tail. Posting here to see where and how anyone's done that without the straps pulling away, or rubbing on the chrome or body. Would help if she had a hitch, but it doesn't yet.

Here's a pic of our camp north of Toronto where it snowed opening day in May. Don't expect to be towing our vintage Airstream with the GLK LOL but may throw on a hitch once I get my trailered speed boat done, that's a question for later. Right now I'd just like to get a canoe up on the roof and confidently maintain highway speeds with no damage.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:42 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
I was thinking about this myself just this morning. I live near a lake and it would be great to be able to take the kids out for a canoe ride.

Another question: What is the best way to store the key to keep it secure and dry while out in the water.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350 4matic
It’s pretty straight forward. I regularly take two sea kayaks or two SUP’s to Georgian Bay/Muskoka from Toronto.

first. Buy the roof racks for MB.

second. Buy aset of Thule quick loop tie downs for either side of the hood. (They sit inside) https://www.thule.com/en-ca/winter-a...strap-_-530999

third. Have the straps going in opposite directions (front in back) and tighten. ie. the ratchets should be on opposite sides of the car

fourth. run a rope through the front bow of the canoe, then each end of rope through the quick loop. Then take the rope ends tie a series of half hitches to itself to secure it. If you don’t want the ends flapping wrap in black tape

When do those two things above there’s zero need for a rear tie point.

I’ve had used this method for countless trips on the highway storms and all and never had an issue.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
GLK 250
Originally Posted by BalaJake
It’s pretty straight forward. I regularly take two sea kayaks or two SUP’s to Georgian Bay/Muskoka from Toronto.

first. Buy the roof racks for MB.
second. Buy a set of Thule quick loop tie downs for either side of the hood. (They sit inside) https://www.thule.com/en-ca/winter-a...strap-_-530999
third. Have the straps going in opposite directions (front in back) and tighten. ie. the ratchets should be on opposite sides of the car
fourth. run a rope through the front bow of the canoe, then each end of rope through the quick loop. Then take the rope ends tie a series of half hitches to itself to secure it. If you don’t want the ends flapping wrap in black tape
When do those two things above there’s zero need for a rear tie point.
I’ve had used this method for countless trips on the highway storms and all and never had an issue.
Thanks VERY much Jake!

Didn't know about those quick loop tie downs. Appreciate the link!
Makes perfect sense and since the GLK hood latches seem pretty stout (plus as you said you've done this countless times) it's certainly worth a try. Our 16 ft Prospector canoe isn't very heavy (kevlar/fiberglass mix) but it will catch the wind if not kept pointed straight.

Curious though about your comment on putting straps going in opposite directions (front in back.) Are you referring strapping to the rooftop crossrails in an X pattern instead of directly over? I think I'll ratchet them down across the upside-down canoe. I do have the MB crossrails. They have a good, snug fit and I'm space them apart as far forward and aft as they can go, which will also keep the canoe from jackknifing on the roof. You're right, I don't think I'll need a tie-down at the rear, at all!

Looking forward to giving it a try when we go up to our camp in the Kawarthas this long weekend. (Will post pics)
Hope you have a well-enjoyed weekend too!
Old 07-28-2020, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350 4matic
My pleasure.

re. the strapping.

on the front crossbar have the tie down/ratchet part on the left or right side of the canoe (I put a piece on an old yoga mat to protect it or a piece of an old blue foam camp mat has worked in the past)

on the rear crossbar have the tie down/ratchet on the opposite side of the canoe.

In a bad cross wind, having opposite anchor points will prevent jackknifes

For the quick loops, here’s an image that illustrates what I do.

***make sure you tape any excess ends. The sound will be deafening and worse, it will mar the finish on the paint on a highway run.

Last edited by BalaJake; 07-28-2020 at 02:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TorontoGLK (08-03-2020)