GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Strange cable in glovebox, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4MATIC 12/2009
Question Strange cable in glovebox, any ideas?

Hi Everyone!
2 weeks ago, I got a 2009 GLK 350 4MATIC and so far, it's been pure bliss. However, there's this strange cable in the glove compartment I've been obsessing over. I asked the previous owner and he could only tell me it was for a navi system but he couldn't give any other useful information. The car has the COMAND system with the 5.8" screen with no navigation system. I've been thinking of getting one of those Carplay/Android Auto addons but wanted to find out any more info I can about this cable before proceeding. I've attached images of the cable below. The end of the cable fits into the headphones jack on my Android phone but nothing happens. Any help will be much appreciated!

Closeup

Old 09-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 GLK 350 4Matic
Looks like a power adapter plug. I would use a voltmeter on the end of the cable before trying to insert it anywhere. Some of those add-on Nav boxes like Garmin have a similar plug. Be careful not to short the center to the outside of the case or you will quickly notice a burning smell. I would trace the cable and see what it connects to. Hopefully it is fused. In the meantime, throw a piece of electrical tape on the end to prevent bad things from happening.
The following users liked this post:
digispinner (09-13-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by ZZGlk
Looks like a power adapter plug. I would use a voltmeter on the end of the cable before trying to insert it anywhere. Some of those add-on Nav boxes like Garmin have a similar plug. Be careful not to short the center to the outside of the case or you will quickly notice a burning smell. I would trace the cable and see what it connects to. Hopefully it is fused. In the meantime, throw a piece of electrical tape on the end to prevent bad things from happening.
Good advice!
The following users liked this post:
digispinner (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4MATIC 12/2009
Originally Posted by ZZGlk
Thanks, great advice indeed! I have taped it as you said and will most likely have it removed when I install another navi system.