GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK Roof Tent in action

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK350
GLK350 Roof Tent in action

after extensively researching the options for rooftop tents I went with a cascadia vehicle tent mount baker. the Mount Hood is similar but there's no way you're going to store anything inside of it since it's so thin it's also heavier, almost exceeding the dynamic weight limit of the GLK.

I'm sleeping in it for a fourth night on my travels around the country since I can work from anywhere. having my own place to sleep allows me to be socially distant and also travel with my cat. I wouldn't be able to afford hotel stays and sleeping in the car with the cat is not great with the stuff that I have for the trip in the car.

the CVT Mt Baker lists for $2,500 but they had 30% off during Black Friday and after 10% Chattanooga Tennessee tax I got out of there for under $2,000 for the tent. sadly I didn't have rails so I bought rhino rack rails for a little under 500 bucks.

the rhino rack rails are tall enough so you can open the sunroof for air if you'd like.

I'm not a camper. never really been my thing but I do like the idea of being on top of my car. i always wanted a platform for my previous Subarus to put a tent on or just sit on or be up there like a safari truck.

the tent is awesome. it sets up so quickly, I am slowed down because I remove two snowboards with flow bindings {they fold fairly flat}, a folding REI chair and also adding to my time is putting the cat blanket and his litter box {hasn't been it yet while in the tent!} and food and water up in the tent so it takes me a little longer to set up than most.

while I like to sleekness of the mount hood model, the Mount Baker gives me the storage which I really wanted period it was a small walk for me cuz I was considering the roof box made by thule, I think it's called the vector? and that's 1600 bucks has lights in it and so on... but I can't sleep in that!

I looked at pretty much all the other brands and they are all slightly different customized from China. so if you have the patience you might be able to order one from Alibaba and get it for less. there is a company in Portland I think {go fast campers superlight} that's making tents for $1700 but they're similar to the mount Hood although about half the weight...but a waiting period of months... and also super flat so no storage.
so that was my target price and with the sale the CVT made sense and I figured I could just sell it if I didn't like it. Jane Baroud is very similar but almost twice what i paid.

the mileage per gallon is less of course, however I also got bigger tires so I'm not sure how much less exactly. seemed to be maybe 2MPG or so. at 80 you certainly notice it at the pump as opposed to 55MPH. and yes wind noise is now something you hear. I get used to it and it reminds me of my Forester honestly. and yes your center gravity is a bit higher but it's not like the car is going to tip over super easy you can feel it if you jerk the wheel. it does reduce my hard charging of exit ramps where I don't typically use the brakes, but that might not be a bad thing.

so far I'm enjoying it and wanted to share that's possible.

if you want to see pictures of the travels they are here::
https://www.instagram.com/moteltippy/

Last edited by smudgeTHEcat; 12-12-2020 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-12-2020, 03:13 PM

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts
2006 Alfa Romeo Brera, 2010 GLK350, 2018 BMW 640i GT, 1997 Subaru SVX, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V
How do you get up into that thing?
Old 12-12-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK350
Originally Posted by Silver Shadow
How do you get up into that thing?

good question!

comes with a ladder i inconveniently left out of any photos. it can hook to the sides or the back technically, but not on the GLK, sides only due to back gate.

The following users liked this post:
andreigbs (02-25-2021)
Old 12-13-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2009 E63
Originally Posted by smudgeTHEcat
after extensively researching the options for rooftop tents I went with a cascadia vehicle tent mount baker. the Mount Hood is similar but there's no way you're going to store anything inside of it since it's so thin it's also heavier, almost exceeding the dynamic weight limit of the GLK.

I'm sleeping in it for a fourth night on my travels around the country since I can work from anywhere. having my own place to sleep allows me to be socially distant and also travel with my cat. I wouldn't be able to afford hotel stays and sleeping in the car with the cat is not great with the stuff that I have for the trip in the car.

the CVT Mt Baker lists for $2,500 but they had 30% off during Black Friday and after 10% Chattanooga Tennessee tax I got out of there for under $2,000 for the tent. sadly I didn't have rails so I bought rhino rack rails for a little under 500 bucks.

the rhino rack rails are tall enough so you can open the sunroof for air if you'd like.

I'm not a camper. never really been my thing but I do like the idea of being on top of my car. i always wanted a platform for my previous Subarus to put a tent on or just sit on or be up there like a safari truck.

the tent is awesome. it sets up so quickly, I am slowed down because I remove two snowboards with flow bindings {they fold fairly flat}, a folding REI chair and also adding to my time is putting the cat blanket and his litter box {hasn't been it yet while in the tent!} and food and water up in the tent so it takes me a little longer to set up than most.

while I like to sleekness of the mount hood model, the Mount Baker gives me the storage which I really wanted period it was a small walk for me cuz I was considering the roof box made by thule, I think it's called the vector? and that's 1600 bucks has lights in it and so on... but I can't sleep in that!

I looked at pretty much all the other brands and they are all slightly different customized from China. so if you have the patience you might be able to order one from Alibaba and get it for less. there is a company in Portland I think {go fast campers superlight} that's making tents for $1700 but they're similar to the mount Hood although about half the weight...but a waiting period of months... and also super flat so no storage.
so that was my target price and with the sale the CVT made sense and I figured I could just sell it if I didn't like it. Jane Baroud is very similar but almost twice what i paid.

the mileage per gallon is less of course, however I also got bigger tires so I'm not sure how much less exactly. seemed to be maybe 2MPG or so. at 80 you certainly notice it at the pump as opposed to 55MPH. and yes wind noise is now something you hear. I get used to it and it reminds me of my Forester honestly. and yes your center gravity is a bit higher but it's not like the car is going to tip over super easy you can feel it if you jerk the wheel. it does reduce my hard charging of exit ramps where I don't typically use the brakes, but that might not be a bad thing.

so far I'm enjoying it and wanted to share that's possible.

if you want to see pictures of the travels they are here::
https://www.instagram.com/moteltippy/

looks good - what tire size did you go with?
Old 02-24-2021, 09:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GLK250
Looks good! How's the mounting system, is it something you'd likely take off in winter? And do you leave your bedding etc in there all the time?

I'd like to be able to take mine on and off with some kind of quick disconnect system, but haven't found anything yet. 8 bolts, with 4 in awkward locations is enough for me to just leave it on year round so far.

I got an OVS Nomadic 2 Extended. Sometimes wish I went with a hard shell for better aerodynamics, but this one's been great even in 6" of overnight snow, and was way cheaper up front.

The following users liked this post:
andreigbs (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Probably looks like a snack wrapper to a bear.