GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK-250 BlueTec - 7 year Owner Review - Don't Buy One of These!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fj cruiser 2014 GLK250
Sorry to hear of your issues, we also have a 2014 GLK250 (bought new) so far we has 3 issues with the NOX sensors (all fixed under warranty). We also had the inter cooler hose crack (the new one is a much better design ) and the drivers seat covering cracked, I did have the delete done and so far no more issues no NOX, DPF or any other issues to worry about while we do only have 150,000 klm on the car and hope to have this car until it dies hopefully far into the future.
The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 12-15-2022, 10:38 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Cwdawson
Sorry to hear of your issues, we also have a 2014 GLK250 (bought new) so far we has 3 issues with the NOX sensors (all fixed under warranty). We also had the inter cooler hose crack (the new one is a much better design ) and the drivers seat covering cracked, I did have the delete done and so far no more issues no NOX, DPF or any other issues to worry about while we do only have 150,000 klm on the car and hope to have this car until it dies hopefully far into the future.
Wow this sounds like me! 2014 GLK 250 140,000 KM
1)Nox Sensor issue, did the delete: 1800$
2) Drivers seat cracked, replaced with new one from dealer, 200$ changed myself
3) Had a whistle coming through the dash area at highways speeds, found the cabin air intake pipe deformed and sealed the leak

Still need to put the blutech system back in to do the warrant claim... delaying until early next year

The following users liked this post:
100Pyatt (02-12-2024)
Old 12-15-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
glk
any tips on storing the GLK250 when its hardly in use? Thinking of buying an EV, but thinking of keeping the diesel around(to rarely use) since its still working great and the resale value is a bit low
Old 12-16-2022, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 228 Posts
GLK 250
Maybe air up tires to prevent flat spots (or place on lift).
Fresh fuel in tank with an additive.
Hook up battery tender.
Everything else should be fine as is.
Old 12-16-2022, 07:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
GLK250
I'll go with some fresh new oil for the engine.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 W204 & GLK250 X204
Originally Posted by kenjraustin
Just a quick note here for anyone thinking about buying one of these.

Don't do it.

We've had ours for 7 years...it's honestly been a great vehicle. With the exception of the notorious DPF filter issue that MB is unwilling to cover under the 10 year mfg emissions warranty - we'd likely be MB customers for life.

Unfortunately, I'm now going to have to sell my 7 year old vehicle with less than 65k miles on it - a MB DIESEL...that should go for hundreds of thousands of miles - at well below blue book value because of this ridiculous Bluetec emissions system that they seemed to want to wash their hands of leaving their customers holding the bill.

Quick backstory....

About a year and a half ago we got a check engine light. Car drove fine - no issues. Take it to our local place that specializes in MB and they check the codes and tell me it's the DPF filter and warn me how expensive it is (~$4,000) and advise me to take to the dealer to see if they'll cover it under the 10 year mfg emission warranty. Well, of course they won't. And what's even more interesting is that their diagnosis wasn't even the same as my local shop - they seemed to indicate that it wasn't the filter itself but some kind of a sensor on the AdBlue tank. They still wanted almost $5,000 for parts and labor to cover the whole thing. I declined and even my service advisor said if it were him he would just leave it as is since it didn't affect the drivability or performance of the car.

Now here we are - last month my wife started telling me the car was driving strange - like a transmission issue. So, I go drive it and realize quickly that it's likely not a transmission issue as the car would shift through the gears - but it had no 'pep'. If you floored it it would perform as if you were doing a usual start from a stop. Interestingly, the paddle shifters wouldn't work anymore either. I figured that the ECM might need to be reset as this is one of those vehicles that 'learns' how you drive. Perhaps that got out of kilter over the years and needed to be reset.

So, we take it back to our local shop who hooks it up and calls me with new error codes. I'll paste what they sent me here for reference in case anyone searches through forum looking for this stuff:

This alone is almost $1k worth of labor and the part is $2,800.

This is another $600 in parts and labor -most likely due to the fact that the DPF is likely full or contaminated and the MAF sensed that and throttled back the performance of the car to protect the engine.

My wife and I are bummed - this car is paid for and we were hoping for at least 3 or 4 more years of service from it before moving on to something else - perhaps even longer if the car was still running well. We love just about everything about this vehicle except that MB seems to want nothing to do with working with Bluetec customers who are dealing with issues that they've know about for some time and then decided that they weren't going to cover them under any kind of extended warranty.

I remember when I bought this car and the salesperson asked me if we'd ever owned a MB before, and I answered No. He said, "Well you'll be one for life now...".

Nope. We're done.

Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one of these used. We decided not to spend the $6k primarily because this is just going to happen again. I'm not a fan of throwing good money after bad. We'll go look elsewhere and MB has lost our business for life.

Late now but unfortunately this sounds exactly like the common boost leak from ruptured rubber intercooler hose problem
Old 02-19-2024, 01:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 GLK250, 2022 Tesla MYLR, 1997 Correct Craft Ski Nautique
Originally Posted by kenjraustin
Just a quick note here for anyone thinking about buying one of these.

Don't do it.

We've had ours for 7 years...it's honestly been a great vehicle. With the exception of the notorious DPF filter issue that MB is unwilling to cover under the 10 year mfg emissions warranty - we'd likely be MB customers for life.

Unfortunately, I'm now going to have to sell my 7 year old vehicle with less than 65k miles on it - a MB DIESEL...that should go for hundreds of thousands of miles - at well below blue book value because of this ridiculous Bluetec emissions system that they seemed to want to wash their hands of leaving their customers holding the bill.

Quick backstory....

About a year and a half ago we got a check engine light. Car drove fine - no issues. Take it to our local place that specializes in MB and they check the codes and tell me it's the DPF filter and warn me how expensive it is (~$4,000) and advise me to take to the dealer to see if they'll cover it under the 10 year mfg emission warranty. Well, of course they won't. And what's even more interesting is that their diagnosis wasn't even the same as my local shop - they seemed to indicate that it wasn't the filter itself but some kind of a sensor on the AdBlue tank. They still wanted almost $5,000 for parts and labor to cover the whole thing. I declined and even my service advisor said if it were him he would just leave it as is since it didn't affect the drivability or performance of the car.

Now here we are - last month my wife started telling me the car was driving strange - like a transmission issue. So, I go drive it and realize quickly that it's likely not a transmission issue as the car would shift through the gears - but it had no 'pep'. If you floored it it would perform as if you were doing a usual start from a stop. Interestingly, the paddle shifters wouldn't work anymore either. I figured that the ECM might need to be reset as this is one of those vehicles that 'learns' how you drive. Perhaps that got out of kilter over the years and needed to be reset.

So, we take it back to our local shop who hooks it up and calls me with new error codes. I'll paste what they sent me here for reference in case anyone searches through forum looking for this stuff:

This alone is almost $1k worth of labor and the part is $2,800.

This is another $600 in parts and labor -most likely due to the fact that the DPF is likely full or contaminated and the MAF sensed that and throttled back the performance of the car to protect the engine.

My wife and I are bummed - this car is paid for and we were hoping for at least 3 or 4 more years of service from it before moving on to something else - perhaps even longer if the car was still running well. We love just about everything about this vehicle except that MB seems to want nothing to do with working with Bluetec customers who are dealing with issues that they've know about for some time and then decided that they weren't going to cover them under any kind of extended warranty.

I remember when I bought this car and the salesperson asked me if we'd ever owned a MB before, and I answered No. He said, "Well you'll be one for life now...".

Nope. We're done.

Please do yourself a favor and don't buy one of these used. We decided not to spend the $6k primarily because this is just going to happen again. I'm not a fan of throwing good money after bad. We'll go look elsewhere and MB has lost our business for life.
You might be like me in California and can't do a smog delete that it seems everyone else is doing. That said, I had the emission campaign done (sounds like VW's dieselgate but not advertised) with extended warranty probably a year or so ago. Our car wasn't acting up when I had iut done; I wanted the new parts and the extended warranty. The replacement didn't affect the drivability/fuel economy. Then about eight months ago I got the def tank level 'full' sensor error (which seems like a dumb sensor to have; I only need a near-empty sensor, I know when it's full since I fill it--and doesn't impact drivability, so stupid it doesn't pass the state smog check just because of an irrelevent code). Anyway, I was paranoid the tank/sensor wouldn't be covered under warranty but it seems the whole tank would need to be replaced (not impossible for DYI but a pain and I wasn't 100% it would solve the problem). I kept postponing it but I finally was coming due for registration and it required a smog check. I was running out of time so I finally I called the local MB dealer; they said I can bring it in, pay $250 for diagnostics, and if it's covered under warranty, they will waive it (and both the person on the phone and the person doing the paperwork were quite snooty about it). But lo and behold, it was covered under the extended warranty and I got my registration renewed (next smog check in two years). Most of the components were replace during the campaign, so if anyone hasn't done it and can still do it, I'd get it done since at a minimum it extends the coverage an additional (3-5 years? Can't remember). With the extended warranty going beyond when my next smog check is due, I figure I'm good for at least four years, and then at that point, it might be time to retire it depending on whether I've got another issue not covered by warranty. It's a great car; I love the torque of the diesel (pull a 3500# trailer all the time) so don't want to get rid of it anytime soon.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZX10R
Originally Posted by 100Pyatt
Late now but unfortunately this sounds exactly like the common boost leak from ruptured rubber intercooler hose problem
Hi,magic 8 ball online
Have you checked your intercooler hoses for any signs of ruptures or leaks? It sounds like your issue might be a common boost leak problem associated with damaged rubber intercooler hoses.

Last edited by nora10; 02-24-2024 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZX10R
Hi Guys,
Could you elaborate on specific issues or experiences that led to your recommendation against purchasing the GLK-250 BlueTec?
Old 02-26-2024, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLK 250
Love my Bluetec

I bought mine with 77k. Have 129k now. 2015 model needed a water pump and has tranny flushed. Otherwise it has been a champ