GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

ABS, power steering, run flat fault FYI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK350
ABS, power steering, run flat fault FYI

I recently had a set of three error messages appear. This is well documented elsewhere but I wanted to add something new to hopefully helpful others.

The "EBD, ABS and ESC inoperative", "Power steering inoperative" and "Run flat indicator inoperative" error messages all come on at the same time, only when driving over ~ 20 km/h. It drove fine, power steering worked, I just had the ABS light on and those error messages. ABS was not activating. Others have had similar problems, though fewer seem to have the message regarding run flat. Some have problems where ABS is activating without reason, or power steering is actually inoperative.

Common things being common, I checked the wheel speed sensors. I did not have a code reader or multimeter with me that day so I just removed and cleaned all 4 wheel speed sensors. They were awful. I expected that if this was the problem then the message would not come back. It persisted. Battery load tested fine. I figured then it would be a bad sensor or bad reluctor ring. ABS scanner showed a bad right front wheel speed sensor plus a low voltage and internal fault of the control module. Common. Prior to ordering and replacing this sensor I cleared the code and drove off. It has not returned in over 1000 km.

All this to say, before replacing the sensor it may be worth just clearing the code. It may be that it was dirty and needed to be properly cleared, or it may come back tomorrow. Regardless, worth a shot and may be helpful to someone in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by ad642254:
andreigbs (03-31-2021), Fagunza (04-02-2021)