GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

2010 GLK - AC blower motor keeps running after car locked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4matic
2010 GLK - AC blower motor keeps running after car locked

Hi everyone, I found quite some information about the following issue in my 2010 GLK 350 4matic (120,000 miles) in the forum, but couldn't solve it. Maybe you have additional ideas.
The original issue is that I have to recharge my battery about once per week since something is draining power from it. I had it in two workshops (OEM and independent) and both couldn't locate the problem.
The battery has been tested several times and is fine.
Since the shops couldn't help, I got some tools to measure power drain and check fuses as well as read error codes (multimeter, clamp meter w/ bluetooth and recording function, fuse buddy, icarsoft MB).

After driving any distance, stopping, and locking, the car shuts off after a few minutes and the amperage on the battery drops to about 100 mA.
This seems like the supposed behavior. Unfortunately after about 45 minutes, the amperage goes up to either around 2.8 Amps or 6.7 Amps and keeps constant. I used the clamp meter to measure and record at the minus of the battery for a few hours.
I located the source as the AC blower motor. It starts running and keeps going, but is very silent. It works fine when the car is running, no issues with AC or blower.
So I started diving deeper:
- I checked fuses and leaks around those
- I replaced the blower motor resistor, but that didn't change anything.
- I checked for moisture around the dash, footrests etc. (unlikely since we don't have much rain or humid air in the SF bay area)

The next step for me would be to replace the evaporator sensor and check the evaporator itself. After that, blower motor and control panel would be my guesses.

Since this is a bit more work, I wanted to check if there are any other suggestion what I could do.

Thank you in advance.