Spare wheel compartment waterproofing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes GLK 300 / Audi RS6
Spare wheel compartment waterproofing

Hi,

Since I owned a BMW X3 that was getting water from everywhere so bad (I ended to sell it) I became a bit a water leak paranoid...

So today, after a high pressure wash, I started to look everywhere for make sure that my GLK wasn't leaking...

And as often when we look for something weird... We find something weird...

In the boot, there is like a door that I can lift and there is the place where the spare wheel should be if the car had one... Instead, I have like a plastic / fabric isolation with some kind of storage in the wheel compartment.

If I lift this isolation, there is some holes. One big in the middle with a rubber plug, probably for remove the water in case of leak, and some other smaller oval holes without plugs. In one of them, I noticed by putting my finger in that it was a little bit wet.

It's not really bad, the hole isn't filled with water, and the spare wheel compartment is dry, but it's just a little bit wet in this hole.

Is it how it's supposed to be? Should it be wet there? This place directly links to underneath the vehicle? Or maybe should an another plug be there?

I also noticed a few little stones and sand there, so I suppose elements can enter from outside, but is it how it should be?

I attached a picture of the location with the isolation and one of the hole after removing the isolation.

Thanks for your feedback