GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Gauge Cluster Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK350 4matic, '16 F150
Gauge Cluster Problems

I have a 2010 GLK350 4matic that I bought person to person about a year ago. It had a relatively new inspection sticker on it and no CEL when I bought it. Now it needs a New York inspection and I find out there are multiple codes and the CEL is not working.
The car has always had an issue with the odometer reading 6 dashes instead of a real mileage. When I looked at it the first time it had a reading, but when I went back to complete the transaction, it was dashes. I figured that I would be able to fix it.
The codes were crank position sensor and failure to reach operating temp (thermostat). I replaced both and cleared my codes. Shop says that it wont pass inspection with the CEL not working.
I suspect the previous owner or his shop installed a non-original cluster. MB dealer service rep (most unhelpful dude ever) says that couldn't happen.

So, I have questions.
1. Can you install a cluster from a JY car into my car and have it work?
2. If you did manage a JY cluster, would the odometer and CEL not work, but everything else does work?
3. If the cluster is original, what causes the odometer to go 6 dashes and how do I fix it? More on this below.
4. If the CEL is a "burned out bulb" can I access it, replace it?

In my search for the 6 dash fix, about the only thing that sort of worked was ignition on 30sec, ignition off 30sec for 5 repetitions. This brings up a mileage of about 72k which is not congruent with the car's mileage. The car's mileage should be in the 110k range based on the VIN records and the PO's statements.
This procedure showed the 72k mileage until I turned the car off and back on again. Then it would revert to 6 dashes.

Anybody know about this stuff? MB dealer wants me to pay for diagnostics which is going to be spendy.

Thank you for any help.
Sean
Old 09-07-2022, 02:34 AM

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
A used instrument cluster can be easily installed and programmed to the car with the right tools. The mileage will automatically be transferred from the EIS when performing the programming.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 GLK350 4matic, '16 F150
Fantastic news!
I've got my new cluster with a working CEL. I've also just got a sweet new openport 2.0 cable/adapter.
I've got to get software next and procedures.
Main goal now is getting an inspection sticker on it before the fuzz gets mad... so many codes!