GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Booming sound from the back/Spare tire cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 2014
Booming sound from the back/Spare tire cover

Hi everyone, I have a problem with a booming, low-frequency sound, that seems to be coming from the back of the cabin. Did anyone experience something similar?

It's heard from the inside, it seems to be a reverberation/resonance problem of the cabin. From what I've read, the vibrations of the cabin make the air inside vibrate in low frequencies — it is better when I open the windows and/or the sunroof. The booming happens when driving, can be heard best at low speeds where any imperfection on the road is causing the car to vibrate, and when driving faster it seems to be less present, but my ears get tired after a while. The suspension seems to be fine.

I'm wondering what is causing the vibrations? First thing I will have to eliminate is the engine, as I know the engine mounts are bad and need to be replaced.

One thing that I should mention — I've started to hear it after the mechanic replaced the rear shock absorbers. He told me that he had to disassemble half of the trunk to replace the shock absorbers, and after that, the spare tire cover seems to be a little too tight.

That is the cover I'm talking about, I have to use more force to close it and make sure the part in the green circle is properly closed. I think that because that cover is placed tight, it might be squeezing c pillars. Any thoughts? Does anyone know how to disassemble the trunk?

Last edited by michaln; 08-05-2023 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:17 AM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
Sounds likely that your mech didn't get all the plastic bits aligned correctly when he put your back end back together. You just need to push around the edge of the cover when it's not latched to find the "high spot", and then figure out what you need to do to fix it (most likely re-install a bit of plastic trimm underneath that spot).

If the noise you mentioned started just after the installation of the new shocks, I'd suggest that the mech didn't get something right.

Otherwise, there are several possible culprits, including bad wheel bearings, differential, bushings, sway bar / links, etc. Without hearing it, it's hard to say.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 GLK250
Did you get a new suspension alignment after the shocks were replaced? The rear tires may be worn or are misaligned, which could be creating more noise.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 235 Likes on 217 Posts
2013 glk 350
Ok “ it started After the mechanic worked on it “ go find a different mechanic, but try the control arms or whatever the suspension points are , when tires are On the ground. , not lifted