GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

GLK250 P261f coolant / vacuum issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2023 | 11:00 AM

2013 GLK250
GLK250 P261f coolant / vacuum issue

Hi All, looking for some advise. I have a 2013 GLK250 ... my wife loves it ... 118k. We have a P261f ... I'm a BMW guy, worked in shops in my past, etc. Unfortunately I'm inbetween homes or I would have worked on this in my garage. My understanding is this coolant code is not straightforward. It correlates to the vacuum system, and diagnostics should be done by someone with experience with this configuration - it's not a simple water pump replacement.

I am in the northern VA area. Anyone have suggestions as to who has experience with this motor in the area? Sprinters have this same setup, correct? I asked my local Mercedes independent, and they can do basic service (obviously) but they don't seem to know this platform. I need someone that knows how to work through the vacuum system related to coolant system - or this is going to be a trail of tears where someone changes parts, doesn't solve problems, and everyone's not happy.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2023 | 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 250
That's always a possibility, so be mentally/emotionally prepared... I would start with the changeover valve which is very close to the water pump and part of the cooling system. I've read stories of it going bad and causing all sorts of problems.

There was also a software update for the cooling system released not too long ago, it was a free recall item that you might want to check into if you haven't been to the dealership in some time.

Lastly, if you're on the original water pump, drivebelt, tensioner and rollers - you might want to go ahead and get all that changed out. The new water pump design was updated to a metal impeller (rather than plastic) and I'd also flush/refill the coolant with new MB stuff at the same time.

For reference, here's a thread on this same issue: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...lk-250-bt.html which was resolved with a new OEM Mercedes (not aftermarket) WP installed.

As I said, if you're on the original parts, it's more than time for them to be replaced.

Last edited by andreigbs; 08-31-2023 at 04:30 PM.