GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Audio Upgrade/Subwoofer/HK System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Audio Upgrade/Subwoofer/HK System

What’s up guys I have a 2015 GLK350 and want to know if getting the Harmon/Kardon speakers worth it. If anyone has it, how good does it sound, how many speakers are there in total, and how much do you think the total would cost for everything? Also I know that the premium speakers come with the subwoofer if I’m correct and it goes under the spare tire and what’s the size of that subwoofer? I wanna know everything I would need to upgrade to the premium speakers. Including total price, how many speakers, and if I need to buy any harness/wiring kit. Please and thanks.

Last edited by rick223; 09-28-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 199 Posts
2013 glk 350
You want to know everything? That’s too time consuming to write . Get speakers compared at a car stereo place . What you want to spend determines overall quality. For very good you need an add on amp and processor and someone e to reprogram your radio (250). I spent a lot on Audison. Go talk to a few stereo shops and let them do it . In Chicago I know a Quality place . So many options .
The following users liked this post:
rick223 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz GLK 350
Originally Posted by Mmr1
You want to know everything? That’s too time consuming to write . Get speakers compared at a car stereo place . What you want to spend determines overall quality. For very good you need an add on amp and processor and someone e to reprogram your radio (250). I spent a lot on Audison. Go talk to a few stereo shops and let them do it . In Chicago I know a Quality place . So many options .
I mean basically I want to know if the HK audio upgrade is worth it and including the subwoofer. Spending wise, I just want to know what’s better than the stock audio I have for my GLK350 I don’t mind spending for better audio. How good is Audison compared to HK Audio? Also I know with the HK premium audio it comes with a subwoofer under the spare tire. Is there anything better than the HK subwoofer that can also go under the spare tire? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Go to Audison’s site they have equipment that could Cost 50,000$. I spent 3400 total . Your best bet is to go to a quality installer and listen to speakers and have them guide you . Just new speakers are a bit better. With the stock amp you have to be aware of speaker efficiency. Also there is a hidden EQ multi band in the Engineering menu . Google how to access it, it’s pushing 3 buttons at the same time on the radio. I never could get a sound I liked using the built in system. Best for you is to listen to a speaker display that has many brands hooked up, and talk to a few stores that install .
Old 09-29-2023, 06:24 PM

Received 138 Likes on 105 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
A few random thoughts on auto audio...

No matter how much you spend, the environment (a lumpy, small, odd-shaped "room" made up of soft and hard surfaces at various angles, without any good speaker placement options) is going to be a huge compromise.
New, efficient, high-quality (not necessarily expensive) speakers (aka "drivers") will make by far the biggest bang for the buck improvement
A true high-end system (new amps, eqs, subs, etc.) is a major undertaking, and might result in some less-than-spectacular results if the system isn't really tuned to that (horrible, compromised) environment
Adding a subwoofer can make a really big difference in the perceived system performance, by (obviously) boosting (hopefully not OVER-boosting) the bass, but also by taking the bass waveforms off the low-frequency drivers in the doors (making them much cleaner in the process).
Size matters, though try to avoid getting a huge subwoofer in a tiny cabinet (better to get a cabinet that's tuned properly to the driver for the best sound). I had a 70's Cutlass with a 15" sub using the trunk as an enclosure. Totally different than the "boom box sound" from so many modern subs.
Think long and hard about how you'll actually be listening to the system. I used to startle people a block away (and this was in the mid-70's) but have mellowed considerably. ;-)
Old 09-30-2023, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 glk 350
Get a subwoofer first, forget the built in if you can even find one, I have a powered JL sub in back bungied to the side . Get one with a control you can have up front, mine is Velcro to the mid consul where my hand rests . And check out speakers in a big display.