GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Rear View Camera cuts in and out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
Exclamation Rear View Camera cuts in and out

Anyone know why or how to fix the rear camera? When I put the car in reverse, it works for the most part but sometimes it'll cut in and out or it won't even activate at all. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2023, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 199 Posts
2013 glk 350
It could be the camera , a connection, the head unit, I would take to a place that only does stereos and alarm systems, not your MB dealer. If you can reach the camera see if the connection is loose or if moving the cable while someone is looking at the screen to see if the cuts in and out.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:19 PM

Received 138 Likes on 105 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
The first thing I'd do is to park where you can see if the reverse lights are coming on when you're in reverse (whether against a wall / garage door at night, or somewhere you can see the reflection of the back of your GLK). Then put the car in reverse, wiggling the shifter just a bit forward and backward, and see if the reverse lights are going on and off. If so, verify whether the camera is "following the lights" or if the lights are solid on during the time when the camera is intermittent. The reason for this test is because the reverse light circuit is used to power (or sense) the car being in reverse, triggering the camera to come on.

If the above test doesn't show the issue, the other thing you might try is to put the car in reverse (probably engine off, ignition on) until you can induce it to fail. Then, try tapping on the hatch in the vicinity of the camera and see if that causes it to come on (or off). If so, you're looking at a bad camera, or connection / cabling issue in the hatch. With any SUV, the cabling that runs from above the headliner, around the hinges, and down into the hatch (camera, etc.) are prone to breaking over time. I haven't ever had to work on my GLK in that area, but have previous vehicles (including a BMW wagon). Not difficult, but you have to have a clue what you're doing. ;-)