Front control arm question Re: Slotted bolt use Vs Non-slotted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK350
Front control arm question Re: Slotted bolt use Vs Non-slotted

GLK350 4matic 2010:
I installed new front control arms (Febi/Bilstein). It did not come with hardware so I ordered a new bolt kit which comes with a slotted bolt, 2 washers and a nut. I could not find a non-slotted bolt anywhere online. I ended up using the slotted bolt and reuse the old round washers with the new control arm. I know the slotted bolt is to make adjustment to camber/caster but I'm just using it straight through without trying to make any adjustments. Also the new upper control arm (torque strut) has

Slotted bolt "Repair Kit"

Original arm with oval opening vs new arm with round opening
just a round hole for the bolt vs my old arm that has an oval opening for the bolt. So I guess I'm just asking is that a problem using the slotted bolt and round holed arm? Its all torqued to 120nm so it isn't going anywhere.
Old 06-08-2024, 01:10 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
It must be an optical illusion, but the new arm looks shorter than the old one.

My "project" 2012 didn't have a slotted hole in the compliance bushing end, either. So I just bolted the new one in and called it a day. I used the original hardware as well (since I wasn't trying to adjust caster). Was there a problem with the old hardware? Those bolts look like they could hold a battleship together, so unless they're horribly rusty or otherwise damaged, I can't imagine replacing them, particularly with a new set of hardware that will likely make it possible to mess up the front end alignment.

I can kind of visualize how the "kit" allows some slight caster adjustment, by rotating the "notch" against the corresponding "notch" in the chassis, with the slot in the bolt riding into the opposite notch. That would - if I'm visualizing correctly - allow for two slightly different caster angles - one slightly higher, one slightly lower. I suppose if you're not going to adjust caster, you just use flat washers instead?

FWIW, I created the video below for a similar thread, just last night. It shows the attachment of the arm to that point, which might be helpful for others to understand how those "notches" in the chassis might work...

Old 06-08-2024, 05:14 PM

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 Alfa Romeo Brera, 2010 GLK350, 2018 BMW 640i GT, 1997 Subaru SVX, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V
The control arms on my 2010 did not have an oval hole. I think they wore that way. Notice how thin the metal is on the ends of the hole. You must have had a lot of noise and movement in that arm.

Last edited by Silver Shadow; 06-08-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 05:33 PM

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts
2014 GLK350 base model (active) ; 2001 E320 base (retired)
Originally Posted by habbyguy
Agreed. I would use a bolt long enough to feed thru BOTH the new and old arm thru-holes, then check they are of even length, to the swivel bolt (ball and socket) end.

Last edited by calder-cay; 06-08-2024 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:51 PM

GLK350
Good idea, I'm waiting on the left side to arrive by USPS so I'll double check but in the meantime I verified the fitment at RM European where I ordered all the parts.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:54 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by habbyguy

My "project" 2012 didn't have a slotted hole in the compliance bushing end, either. So I just bolted the new one in and called it a day. I used the original hardware as well (since I wasn't trying to adjust caster). Was there a problem with the old hardware? Those bolts look like they could hold a battleship together, so unless they're horribly rusty or otherwise damaged, I can't imagine replacing them, particularly with a new set of hardware that will likely make it possible to mess up the front end alignment.

I can kind of visualize how the "kit" allows some slight caster adjustment, by rotating the "notch" against the corresponding "notch" in the chassis, with the slot in the bolt riding into the opposite notch. That would - if I'm visualizing correctly - allow for two slightly different caster angles - one slightly higher, one slightly lower. I suppose if you're not going to adjust caster, you just use flat washers instead?

FWIW, I created the video below for a similar thread, just last night. It shows the attachment of the arm to that point, which might be helpful for others to understand how those "notches" in the chassis might work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5uUqhspb_c
I didn't reuse any of the old hardware as I was concerned about doing that. I don't know if MB directly instructs replacement of hardware but I guess I felt better using new.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 248 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Just replaced the same parts on my 4-matic. You RWD guys don't know how easy you have it! It's a whole different ball game with a half shaft and CV joint in the way...
Old 06-08-2024, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 282 Likes on 242 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
I personally have and do re-use hardware, unless it is not in obvious good condition. Though it probably is a good idea to buy new, im cheap.

They have the regular bolts at the Mercedes dealer $10.50 each if you want. I go to my local MB parts dept frequently since the prices arent bad on the small items and dont have to pay for shipping.

Old 06-09-2024, 04:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
GLK350
Pretty sure that bolts stretch when tightened to the correct setting (includes the correct torque plus the extra degree setting). I usually get new bolts to avoid a bolt being over stretched.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 248 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by KanataSteve
Pretty sure that bolts stretch when tightened to the correct setting (includes the correct torque plus the extra degree setting). I usually get new bolts to avoid a bolt being over stretched.
The issue is when it gets stretched beyond its elasticity limit. If it isn't then it should (will) return to its original length when loosened. Just because they specify angle torque doesn't mean it's a "torque to yield" application. If it is, they will always specify a maximum length measurement, or always require replacement. The advantage of angle torque is that the measured torque is much lower than the final torque, where the introduced errors from friction are lower, so the preload on the bolt is much more consistent.

Oh, just one more thing... Before you reach the elastic limit, the torque required to tighten the bolt further continues to go higher. Once the elastic limit is reached, the torque required to further tighten the bolt begins to level out or even decrease (then you've gone too far...)

Last edited by John CC; 06-09-2024 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Comes down to what you are comfortable with. I've bought new bolts for a job and not ended using them since the old bolts looked fine. I also torque everything down, so I feel comfortable I'm not over tightening anything down.

Granted I have 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" Pittsburg torque wrenches from Harbor Freight so I dont think they are 100% accurate. I bought the 1/2" one and it never worked right out of the box and finally recently exchanged it for another one. I keep that one in my trunk for my wheels.

Speaking of wheels, I'm pretty sure they are the original lug bolts and they still hold the wheels on fine.

When I get around to replacing a leaking front cv axle boot I have a new axle bolt i'll use. I know those things are really on there and take alot to remove, so figure a new bolt wont hurt. Suspension hardware in general I replace if theres any rust or corrosion.
The following users liked this post:
Silver Shadow (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 09:59 PM

GLK350
Originally Posted by TimC300
I personally have and do re-use hardware, unless it is not in obvious good condition. Though it probably is a good idea to buy new, im cheap.

They have the regular bolts at the Mercedes dealer $10.50 each if you want. I go to my local MB parts dept frequently since the prices arent bad on the small items and dont have to pay for shipping.

Thanks for parts #'s. I called the local MB dealer and they didn't have any of the bolts but they did have the nuts for 16.00 each. I was like dude what?
Old 06-10-2024, 10:51 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts
2011 GLK 350 4Matic
IMHO, those nuts, bolts and washers could outlast five cars. Serious hardware that I wouldn't be able to hurt without a six foot breaker bar (and room to swing it). I honestly can't imagine ever having a problem re-using the hardware unless it's a rust or accident issue.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:15 AM

GLK350
I found this kit that has the regular non-slotted bolt and required nut and spacers.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...540003#fitment
Old 06-12-2024, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That MB dealer is a rip off. The nuts are $5.50 and the washers are $3.50 at the one near me. If the part isnt in stock I just pay for it then they get it within a day or two.

I was under my car yesterday and from the looks of the hardware I would probably re-use the front control arm bolts, but the rears are another story and covered in rust.

https://www.mbpartsource.com/ has good prices with reasonable shipping cost.

The following users liked this post:
PaulEdisto (06-13-2024)