Silencer/Muffler Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2024, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 4Matic Petrol
Silencer/Muffler Replacement

Good morning,

This past weekend as I was driving, my GLK decided to become a Harley Davidson. I took it to the garage Monday and was informed the intermediate silencer/muffler needs to be replaced.

The Mercedes garage provided me with a quote of 1500 for parts and labour while also informing me that they couldn't order the muffler anymore. Which means they can't do it anyway...

I also went to an independent garage to see if they can do something and he emailed me yesterday informing me that unfortunately he also can't get the parts.

I was wondering if there are any aftermarket online dealers (or second-hand Mercedes part dealers) that work in the EU/CH that I could look at, as I've had no luck so far with dear old Google. Also is this a job I could potentially do myself (I'm DIY savvy generally) if I buy a second-hand one.

I found a couple on ebay and the like but it is never from the same engine as mine, are they universally the same or are they petrol/desiel, engine size different?

I'd appreciate any hints, tips or advice!

Mercedes GLK 350 4-Matic Petrol 2009 (EU/CH)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 234 Likes on 216 Posts
2013 glk 350
Fcp Euro , try them
Old 06-14-2024, 01:22 PM

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts
yes
Originally Posted by GLKCH
Good morning,

This past weekend as I was driving, my GLK decided to become a Harley Davidson. I took it to the garage Monday and was informed the intermediate silencer/muffler needs to be replaced.

The Mercedes garage provided me with a quote of 1500 for parts and labour while also informing me that they couldn't order the muffler anymore. Which means they can't do it anyway...

I also went to an independent garage to see if they can do something and he emailed me yesterday informing me that unfortunately he also can't get the parts.

I was wondering if there are any aftermarket online dealers (or second-hand Mercedes part dealers) that work in the EU/CH that I could look at, as I've had no luck so far with dear old Google. Also is this a job I could potentially do myself (I'm DIY savvy generally) if I buy a second-hand one.

I found a couple on ebay and the like but it is never from the same engine as mine, are they universally the same or are they petrol/desiel, engine size different?

I'd appreciate any hints, tips or advice!

Mercedes GLK 350 4-Matic Petrol 2009 (EU/CH)

Maybe you could try getting the muffler replaced with a straight piece of pipe and see if it will pass the strict Swiss noise regulations (and your personal sound tolerance level). Or, maybe someone could repair the old one with some metal patches welded on.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:00 PM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
2006 Alfa Romeo Brera, 2010 GLK350, 2018 BMW 640i GT, 1997 Subaru SVX, 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V
A competent muffler shop should be able to make one up for you for not too high a price.
Various gas engines may be similar but diesels would be different.. Check the part numbers to be sure.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 391 Likes on 332 Posts
W204 2010 C300 4matic Sport M272
The part in the middle? That looks to be one piece with the right side muffler, not a simple unbolt and replace unless you get the entire section.

It should be the same for a C300 W204. Im finding them on ebay but im in the states. Can find one and have a shop weld it on.

Im assuming you have this: