GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

How can you tell?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
How can you tell?

I saw this question asked in the GL forum and I'm wondering as well ... How can we determine if Active Curve is installed and active? My window sticker has it listed but is it shown via a menu within the vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
glscoming (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
The manual does not mention of a menu for the Active Curve System. It does mention two possible alerts if the system would malfunction on page 262.

Active Curve System - page 187:

If you have selected the Comfort drive program:
- rolling movement is reduced in the event of changing surface undulations
- the roll angle when cornering is reduced
- the driving is dynamic

If you have selected the Sport drive program:
- the roll angle is reduced significantly
- the driving is even more dynamic
Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 AM

GLS450
Yes, I saw this mentioned in the manual. I think its unusual to have such a significant costly option with no way to validate its installed and actively working other than changes in driving characteristics which can be very subjective. This is like not having indicators that your in drive(D) or Park (P) modes.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
Search your VIN and I think option 468 or 486 is Active curve system code.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by jerome8283
Yes, I saw this mentioned in the manual. I think its unusual to have such a significant costly option with no way to validate its installed and actively working other than changes in driving characteristics which can be very subjective. This is like not having indicators that your in drive(D) or Park (P) modes.
Active Curve wasn't included on our previous GL's but I can definitely feel it working in the GLS in tight turns, even when I'm in Comfort mode. I haven't really tested it while in Sport mode.

As for an indicator, I don't feel its needed. It is always on and keeps the GLS level through turns or when encountering heavy cross winds. It would be like adding a guage to the dash to indicate when the turbo's are being used, not really needed. For what its worth, that is my 2-cents.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Active Curve wasn't included on our previous GL's but I can definitely feel it working in the GLS in tight turns, even when I'm in Comfort mode. I haven't really tested it while in Sport mode.

As for an indicator, I don't feel its needed. It is always on and keeps the GLS level through turns or when encountering heavy cross winds. It would be like adding a guage to the dash to indicate when the turbo's are being used, not really needed. For what its worth, that is my 2-cents.
Most first time GL/GLS buyers like myself cannot tell the difference since we have nothing to compare. Turbos are not an option you add during the buying process. Anyway, it is something I'm curious about and thus far it appears there's no way to validate this. My VIN doesn't show up on any of the sites mentioned in other threads. I guess 2017's are not listed yet.

I'm fine with the driving experience. In fact, more than fine.

Last edited by jerome8283; 05-09-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If your Window Sticker shows option 468 - then you have Active Curve - not to be confused with Agility Select - and by-and-large 468 is a feature Special Ordered on a specific build - and NOT common to dealer orders placed for inventory.

Active Curve is ALWAYS ON - and the way it works - and it's dramatic impact on turns - is very/very impressive - since it places counter force on the suspension side on the "inside" of the turn - countering the forces that normally lead to "dipping" or "lean" during a curve.

If you do a Google - you should catch a couple of impressive videos.

If you drove a MB SUV without Active Curve into the same curve - you would notice the difference.

If you "have it" - hat's off to you - it's one of those special features few have - and a difference in the daily driving and handling...