GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Is asking for 5-6% off MSRP reasonable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX
Is asking for 5-6% off MSRP reasonable?

Hi, I'm new to the whole Mercedes buying experience and trying to buy a new GLS 450, unfortunately nothing they have in stock is configured the way my wife and I want it and they have been unsuccessful in trying to do a dealer trade with the only one option the fit the bill that seemed to be available in NC. I live in northern VA.

They were offering me 5000k off a car that had a MSRP of 87000. I am considering now custom ordering one, but I don't know if they would offer me the same deal (which I literally did not do a thing to negotiate, the sales manager just happened to remember me from an acura dealership where we met some years ago).

To the most experience buyers here I would ask, what would you say to them to try and give you the same deal on the custom order?

I have been reading the thread in this forum that talks about deals people get on their custom orders and some people are getting as much at 10% off, that sounds insane but maybe it is not that crazy for mercedes? I have bought cars in the past but never seen such a high discount rate. Maybe I just don't know how to ask, but I like saving money as much as anyone else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I would suggest for your order that you ask for the deal that makes you happy and add the mutual agreement "plus any additional Mercedes incentives at time of delivery"... if you order today - with delivery let's say end-Aug - I don't think there will be MB money floating around for GLS at that time - but if there is - then fairly you want that to go into your pocket and not the dealers.

At 5.75% off - on dealer 7% margin (plus they get later holdback money on their side) for most small/medium dealers would be OK deal on GLS purchase or lease.

If it was me - I would look at 3yr lease - but that's me..
Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I would suggest for your order that you ask for the deal that makes you happy and add the mutual agreement "plus any additional Mercedes incentives at time of delivery"... if you order today - with delivery let's say end-Aug - I don't think there will be MB money floating around for GLS at that time - but if there is - then fairly you want that to go into your pocket and not the dealers.

At 5.75% off - on dealer 7% margin (plus they get later holdback money on their side) for most small/medium dealers would be OK deal on GLS purchase or lease.

If it was me - I would look at 3yr lease - but that's me..

Many thanks, is 7% the profit margin for a dealer a standard or does it vary by vehicle? I did not know about holdback money. I looked into it and it seems to be 2 or 3% not too bad for them I suppose.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - there is some dealer/margin variation - shorter margin on lower model - some additional margin for top tier dealers in intense areas.

I guess my perspective is your guy's are being square/straightforward with you - and frankly that's a plus that you should know.

Keep the beat !