New Owner GLS 350d - dvd question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS 350d
New Owner GLS 350d - dvd question

Hi

Probably a really silly question but I am struggling here! I'm trying to get the dvd to play through the car's speakers so that all 4 kids in the back can watch a movie, rather than just the 2 with the headphones (want to avoid buying more headphones).

I know it can be done, in fact I've done it once already but can't for the life of me find the menu item again "Rear seat entertainment audio". I have selected radio and slid/pressed the controller as per the user manual but it's just not working for me.

Can anyone offer some some advice in plain english?

Many thanks
Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
are you playing from the front dvd player (head unit) or from the dvd player in the second row? i haven't tried playing from second row and feed it to all the speakers (not sure if that can be done), but when i play using the front head unit dvd player, audio is through the car speakers. you can feed the video to second row as well and second row can further feed to their headphones if needed. but the last row can still listen through car speakers
Old 11-23-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS 350d
Hi

Thanks for your response. I was playing from the second row, I hadn't even considered trying it from the head unit but have done that now and it works great so problem solved - just means Mum & Dad are on dvd duty but that's not so bad.

There is a way of controlling the audio for the rear seats through the head unit, I managed it once briefly in the radio menu but just can't seem to get back to it - I think the manual says it's a hidden menu and you have to do some special swipe on the mouse control but I clearly don't have the right touch.

So anyways, thanks again - I can get the dvd player to do what I need now which equals happy kids. If anyone else knows about how to control the speakers when playing the dvd on the 2nd row player then please share your pearls of wisdom.

Many thanks!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
no problem! the way i see it if the dvd is playing through the car speakers, the front head unit is "useless" for anything else anyway.

fwiw, even when you are playing the dvd up front (feeding to rear screens), up front you can still switch it back to navigation if you need to. it won't disrupt the playback in the rear (at least on my brief testing).

but yes, if anyone found a way on the trick to feed audio through car speakers from second row, do post up!