GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

3,000 mile update; GLS450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
'21 M5Comp, '17 GLS450,'17 Range Rover, '08 Carrera 4S
3,000 mile update; GLS450

I just passed 3,000 miles today and thought I could summarize my thoughts so far.

I bought the truck new on a Friday; I test drove it at 9, then met my wife and ran some errands together. We came back to the dealer at 2; I was out the door with a clean, new truck by 5.

The history behind my purchase is losing a 2003 Land Rover Discovery ski truck to a collision. I needed another ski truck and test drove a number of potential replacements. Cayenne S & Turbo, X5M, F-Pace, Range Rover Sport & Range Rover. I didn't ever think about a GLS until I was heading home and saw the Mercedes dealership. I didn't stop but went home and let my fingers do the research.

Now, after buying the truck, I took it over Loveland Pass in a blizzard the next day. It did great! So, I did it again the next day. Then I took it to Steamboat for a week, then back to Summit County for a few more trips.

I was worried about the Conti tires but they surprised the heck out of me. Granted, conditions weren't terrible, but the tires held their own.

No faults or warning lights. The seat covers are a bit baggy but I don't notice while I'm driving.

As far as efficiency, I got 26 mpg on the last fill up. Granted, it was all highway driving, but basically 2 trips from Castle Rock to Vail.

The cool thing is the low fuel light came on at 600 miles!!!!!!!

I easily exceed the highway MPG rating. I don't know about the city rating 'cause I haven't driven in town much yet.

Tony
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
How did u like the other trucks you tested?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Well, I liked 'em all, except I only liked one enough to buy it. Honestly, what won me over was the way the GLS rolls. This vehicle seems made for long distance travel.

I had 4 grown men with a week's worth of luggage and ski gear, and had room to spare. None of the other vehicles came close in terms of capacity.

I didn't mention I drove a Denali XL and the big Escalade. The solid rear axles really let them down.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
Same happened to me. Went to the Brussels autoshow and looked at every single model and range. Didn't bother with the GLS because I didn't want one.

Took off with the wife for a round of the dealerships a few weeks after to look at the shortlist, but we never got beyond 'meh' and 'maybe'.

Passed the local MB shop on the way back, and went in on the afterthought.

Sat in one and both went 'yeah' instantly. Test drove one the day after (on a Sunday!) and bought one the same day.

Mine's made to order, though...and a diesel

Pete
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 PM

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Another ski trip today over Loveland Pass and back. It's cool when the trip is as much fun as the day on the snow.