GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Anyone with Bang and Olufsen in a 2017/2018 GLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017 | 08:40 AM

NA
Anyone with Bang and Olufsen in a 2017/2018 GLS?

I am hoping someone who selected this option can confirm one way or the other if you lose the spare wheel? The dealer was pretty vague about it when I asked.

Assuming you do lose the spare wheel, I'd love to see a picture of the B&O equipment installed in that space. I'm curious how much space it really takes up.

I listened to the HK system in a GLS 63 briefly. I wasn't overly impressed but then it was pretty hard to judge as I literally had only a few minutes to spare after a test drive to have a quick listen and the dealer was fiddling with the controls.

The B&O option is obviously expensive, that's not the biggest concern, it's whether it sounds great and whether I would lose the spare wheel space. Unfortunately they had no vehicles at all with the option installed. I'd love to hear any feedback from those who have the option. I've tried searching but most feedback I've found is somewhat mixed and for models other than the GLS.

Thanks
David
Old 09-07-2017 | 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Yes... and not really

Yes - with B&O system you lose the spare...

Great front separation - tweeters are awesome and fantastic detail.

Unfortunately - lower mid-range thru to bass is not impressive - as well as a lack of user control over true EQ and no control over Time Delay..

There are some very interesting Geerman/Austrian gear come out from - German Helix - and others - which some in the W205 section have been got into - in Germany/Europe it's becoming a big deal for audio upgrade.

In short form integrated DSP/amp units that take the output of the head - allow you to customize DSP profile with your laptop/notebook + and provide clean/upgraded power to the speakers and/or upgraded speakers - real slick - not for the faint hearted but heck still under B&O
The following users liked this post:
australisblue (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017 | 06:46 AM

NA
Thanks for the feedback. Losing the spare wheel is a bit of a turn off, and I think the B&O upgrade would have to be pretty amazing to warrant it. I don't like the sound of (haha) the less than impressive mid-range to bass. For that price, I would have hoped for nice clean punchy bass when it is called for...

Do you own a GLS with the option or have just listened to one? I'd love to see pictures of what equipment gets installed in the spare wheel space. I'm surprised they couldn't have found somewhere else to mount it in such a large vehicle.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2017 | 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Let's not waste effort here

Let me put it to you this way - any one who has had it - will not be re-ordering it for their next Benz - OK ?

You can go AudioTec Fischer Helix external PP 86DSP + add Helix plug-n-play subwoofer

It will take a specialty shop and about USD$3K to sort it out for you mate
australisblue (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017 | 05:09 AM

NA
Thanks for the reply - that sounds like some feedback Mercedes-Benz needs to be reading too.

I found this interesting video of a custom sound system installation into a GLS when I searched for GLS and Helix

Scott2016 (06-07-2021)
Old 09-21-2017 | 11:17 AM

2020 GLE450 / 2003 BMW M5

Originally Posted by australisblue

Do you own a GLS with the option or have just listened to one? I'd love to see pictures of what equipment gets installed in the spare wheel space. I'm surprised they couldn't have found somewhere else to mount it in such a large vehicle.

Thanks
I have an ML550 with B&O - I believe the layout is the same for both GL/ML chassis. There is a tank for the Air Suspension in addition to an amplifier for the B&O system in the spare wheel well.

It gave me pause initially to not have a spare, but truth is most newer MBs are doing away with them anyways. Without the spare, vehicle comes equipped with Run Flats and a Tire Repair Kit / Compressor in the floor compartment. Honestly, I have two sets of wheels and for long trips where I am concerned I throw an extra wheel in the back. Otherwise I’m around town and truthfully it isn’t a big deal to me.

As for sound - if you only listen at lower volumes, then H&K is absolutely fine. The difference between the two systems is really only noticed at higher listening levels. I drive alone most of the time, so I enjoy my music. At higher volumes, H&K will be unbalanced and actually hurt the ears a little with strong vocals. With the B&O system it is way more balanced, with clear highs and very crisp and punchy low-range bass. The bass can really pound at higher volumes.

I also compared between the lower level Burmester system in the new E300 and had the same observation. At lower volumes (like when your spouse is in the car and you might need to hear them), there is no discernible difference between them. However, at higher sound levels even the lower-tier Burmester breaks apart and sounds too harsh for a higher volume. I always turned it back down and just settled for less volume to keep the sound in balance.

The other notable difference is in the sound stage - again, it’s really only noticed as you increase volume, but the tweeters do a great job of delivering crisp sound comfortably to the ears and especially with classical or a strong vocal solo it’s really quite a big difference.

So, is it worth $5k? Only you can answer that. If the dealer can scrub down the price it may be worth it because an after market install will always mess with something in the door and will cost you time. I’ve had $2k-$3k aftermarket systems before, and this one is better in almost every way and it is an OEM install. The exception is bass at lower volumes (if you listen to EDM or Hip Hop) may not satisfy, but when at a better volume...I love it. It’s one of the few systems where I can actually experience chemical release from some great classical while on the road. Most systems can’t do that for me...too noisy. I absolutely love the system - but I drive solo most of the time and love to listen to a huge variety of music.
australisblue (09-28-2017)
Old 09-29-2017 | 09:16 AM

NA
Originally Posted by OldMerc94

I have an ML550 with B&O - I believe the layout is the same for both GL/ML chassis. There is a tank for the Air Suspension in addition to an amplifier for the B&O system in the spare wheel well.

It gave me pause initially to not have a spare, but truth is most newer MBs are doing away with them anyways. Without the spare, vehicle comes equipped with Run Flats and a Tire Repair Kit / Compressor in the floor compartment. Honestly, I have two sets of wheels and for long trips where I am concerned I throw an extra wheel in the back. Otherwise I’m around town and truthfully it isn’t a big deal to me.

As for sound - if you only listen at lower volumes, then H&K is absolutely fine. The difference between the two systems is really only noticed at higher listening levels. I drive alone most of the time, so I enjoy my music. At higher volumes, H&K will be unbalanced and actually hurt the ears a little with strong vocals. With the B&O system it is way more balanced, with clear highs and very crisp and punchy low-range bass. The bass can really pound at higher volumes.

I also compared between the lower level Burmester system in the new E300 and had the same observation. At lower volumes (like when your spouse is in the car and you might need to hear them), there is no discernible difference between them. However, at higher sound levels even the lower-tier Burmester breaks apart and sounds too harsh for a higher volume. I always turned it back down and just settled for less volume to keep the sound in balance.

The other notable difference is in the sound stage - again, it’s really only noticed as you increase volume, but the tweeters do a great job of delivering crisp sound comfortably to the ears and especially with classical or a strong vocal solo it’s really quite a big difference.

So, is it worth $5k? Only you can answer that. If the dealer can scrub down the price it may be worth it because an after market install will always mess with something in the door and will cost you time. I’ve had $2k-$3k aftermarket systems before, and this one is better in almost every way and it is an OEM install. The exception is bass at lower volumes (if you listen to EDM or Hip Hop) may not satisfy, but when at a better volume...I love it. It’s one of the few systems where I can actually experience chemical release from some great classical while on the road. Most systems can’t do that for me...too noisy. I absolutely love the system - but I drive solo most of the time and love to listen to a huge variety of music.
Hello and thanks for taking the time to reply and take some pictures, very much appreciated!

I'm interested to see there is a tank for the air suspension in there? I assume that this is not normally in this space for an ML without B&O? If that's the case, I'm curious as to why the tank has appeared there (unless some other equipment of the B&O took the space the tank is normally situated in?).

If it wasn't for the tank, it looks to me as though the electronics could have been mounted in the middle and have a wheel sit around it... I'm surprised they couldn't have found somewhere else to fit it really as there is not that much installed there (that's easy to say without having blueprints to see what other spaces are available )

I'll admit that I've never (ever) needed to use a spare wheel in 20+ years of driving. The closest I've come is a puncture that resulted in a *very* slow leak. In reality I don't think a missing spare would be an issue, it just somehow makes me feel uneasy not having it. Putting a spare in the back for longer trips is an option but the car is for our family (3 very young children) and long trips are the one time we'd be wanting all the cargo space we could get.

Having an after market system installed would make me nervous to be honest and I would probably never venture down that route, having an OEM installed system is a definite plus.

Thanks also for the detailed description of how you find the sound from the system, I had almost ruled it out before your reply so it has made the decision somewhat harder now If I could find a dealer who had one to listen to and I really liked it, then I could probably convince myself I could live without a spare. Without being able to listen it makes it a tough call. I'm expecting to have this car for a long time so want to make sure I option it just right and not have any regrets.

Thanks
David
Old 09-30-2017 | 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
As compared to the Helix or Audison electronics with DSP - the B&O is like Middle Ages.. really

The Electonic's tap of existing head unit's and run seperate channels to each speaker & subwoofer..

Adjsut and compensate for poor factory sound profiles - DPD adjustable each channel using laptop..

It comes down to situation... if purchasing, installer upgrade to Helix/Audison - if leasing order B&O
Scott2016 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021 | 08:05 PM

2015 Mercedes GL63
Originally Posted by australisblue
Thanks for the reply - that sounds like some feedback Mercedes-Benz needs to be reading too.

I found this interesting video of a custom sound system installation into a GLS when I searched for GLS and Helix

Mercedes GLS Helix Installation
exactly what I’d like to do with my 2015 GL63
Old 06-14-2021 | 08:32 PM

2020 GLE350 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by OldMerc94

I've driven 2 mercedes with the HK7 logic system and my current has the burmester system. If your GLS is already equipped with the Logic 7 system, then i would say the difference between the logic 7 and the BO is negligible. I would say its negligible to the effect that you
dont even need to add aftermarket subs. From my experience the difference between HK and burmester is not that much, you get great performance.