Questions Re: the OEM iPad kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL450
Questions Re: the OEM iPad kit?

Hello all,

I'm likely going to pull the trigger on a 17' GLS550 that is prewired for rear entertainment system. I have the factory system in our current GL and its good, especially for smaller kids, but our daughter is 9 now and she's more into the ipad.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mercedes kit (A1668200676). It runs approx. $350 from getmercedeparts.com for one side. I wonder how much a dealer would charge to install, if the dealer is even necessary. I believe it taps into the cars electrical since the literature notes that it requires the factory prewiring option. If anyone has the installation manual, it likely suggests the appropriate shop time for install. I'd love to know what that is. I generally am a sucker for oem branded products. If it breaks its under warranty at the dealer. etc... But $350+ install seems steep if there is no more functionality than you'd get with an aftermarket universal iPad headrest mounting kit.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
DRP
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Your candidate 2017 GL550 is "pre-wired" - so that if you choose to add the original factory DVD system to it ($3500+) that system can communicate with the front head unit - and play off the front head unit - like the original factory systems does.
The "prewiring" literally does nothing for either the Accessory Accessory Rear DVD System or installing another system other than you can cut the 12V power and 12V ground wire from each rear connector plug.

Frankly - get a good set of aftermarket iPad mounts that clip onto the headrest rods if you daughter wants it - and a couple of 12V adapter cords - or extra 110V charger for 2nd row - to much thinking - frankly its low tech stuff