GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

2018 GLS 450 incoming

Old 03-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 GLS 63 AMG
Want to take it out for a drive just now, found this broken already, lol... When closed, everything is good. Open, only goes half way back then will stop, this bar on the driver side just hang like that, completely loose. Taking it back to dealer next Monday.... But anybody know what's wrong? easy or a trouble to fix? I know it will be covered under warranty but just don't want them tear a brand new car apart, makes me feel uncomfortable...

Last edited by opelrsx; 03-24-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Looks like the sun shade for the roof? Should be a pretty straight forward fix.

How how does it drive? Can you post some pics?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
Yes the sunshade. That metal bar, is loose on driver side end. Broken out of the track maybe? Don't know how it works. Passenger side end is attached not loose at all.

I will take couple pics later.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450
Congratulations on the new vehicle. We’ve had ours less than a month and my wife absolutely loves it. Hopefully it will be a win win for you as well. You saved some money and your wife will not complain about driving around a hot-rod SUV! 550 is freakin cool though
Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 PM

GLS450
Originally Posted by opelrsx
Yes the sunshade. That metal bar, is loose on driver side end. Broken out of the track maybe? Don't know how it works. Passenger side end is attached not loose at all.

I will take couple pics later.
Sounds that way. I have never had a problem with mine. I don't recall anyone mentioning this problem here either. Take it back in Monday.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 AM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
A picutre of picking up and arrives home. Sorry I am not good at taking photos

Other than the sunshade, we are happy with this SUV so far. Very comfortable and easy to drive. Power wise, the V6 is not too weak as I worried, good enough for us. Saved money goes towards my toys, plus, the V6 may save some gas money too. Damn Vancouver gas price now is already eye popping at $1.769/L.. reported to be over $2/L this summer

Thinking to put on 10mm/12mm hub-centric wheel spacers to make it looks "meaner". Who makes good stuff for benz?

Last edited by opelrsx; 01-02-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:56 PM

GLS450
Very Nice ride! I love the GLS in black.

If this makes you feel better, we here in the US do not get the body kit on the 450 so even though you don't have the added power and V8, you have the look!

Enjoy it! And, tomorrow you should have a bigger smile once they fix the sunshade, it's just a minor annoyance you should not have to experience.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:47 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
Back from the dealership, shop foreman said each end has a hook, somehow driver side got disconnected. They can try to hook it up but better to replace the sunshade assembly as a whole. Don't sound like an easy fix, 2 hours job quoted...

Anybody know what has to be taken apart in order to do so? Shop foreman said not much, but 2 hours job seems not so. Kinda disappointed happening on a brand new car...
Old 03-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450
Being superstitious this is a completely reasonable way to Christen the car.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Back from the dealership, shop foreman said each end has a hook, somehow driver side got disconnected. They can try to hook it up but better to replace the sunshade assembly as a whole. Don't sound like an easy fix, 2 hours job quoted...

Anybody know what has to be taken apart in order to do so? Shop foreman said not much, but 2 hours job seems not so. Kinda disappointed happening on a brand new car...
I know exactly how you feel about having your new car taken apart, I'm the same. I wonder if your car really left the manufacturing plant like that or if something happened after wards. I used to go to a local hand car wash because I didn't want the harsh brushes from automatic car washes to give my paint swirl marks until I repeatedly noticed that my car had scratches coming from that hand car wash, so now I'm washing it myself with a waterless car wash system.
A few days ago I got an oil change at my Mercedes dealer and I let them do the "complimentary" car wash... I paid $116 for the oil change. When my car was ready for pickup I wondered why it was parked so close to the car in front that I had to walk around the back to get in, the service hall was otherwise pretty empty. When I got home I saw that my front license plate was bent so badly that I had to take it off to get it straightened, so that was apparently why the guy who washed the car parked it the way he did. I'm really starting to trust nobody including the expensive Mercedes dealer!
Old 03-26-2018, 10:34 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
They cannot explain how did that happen. Blamed the guy who did interior & paint protection job at last Sunshade was closed on the delievery day, looks all good nothing wrong. I never bothered to open it up untill the second day. Anyways, I will see how's their fix job. I don't know much but seems like at least they will have to take off the rear section roof glass. Dealer sure won't take the car back but I also don't want a brand new teared car... feels bad.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 PM

2017 GLS 450
They cannot explain how did that happen. Blamed the guy who did interior & paint protection job at last Sunshade was closed on the delievery day, looks all good nothing wrong. I never bothered to open it up untill the second day. Anyways, I will see how's their fix job. I don't know much but seems like at least they will have to take off the rear section roof glass. Dealer sure won't take the car back but I also don't want a brand new teared car... feels bad.
Are you sure about taking off the rear section roof glass? I thought that they may have to loosen the ceiling which is annoying enough. I just watched some videos on youtube where people had their car serviced and the dash cam recorded what really happened...seriously I don't want anyone to touch my car! My sister in law just got hit in the side with her 6 month old Tesla Model X. You may have heard that Tesla has issues making the doors fit properly when they make the cars, imagine how they will fit after an accident?! Well, my sister in law won't find out for the next 5 months because that's how long the repair will take due to Tesla not having spare parts in stock. By the time she gets her Tesla back it will be almost a year old and I'm pretty sure the insurance company will not pay for a rental car even remotely comparable to a 100K car. When I got hit with my C350 the insurance was willing to pay $20/day which was just enough for a little Nissan. That's one of the nice little differences between Mercedes, one of the oldest car makers and innovative new companies like Tesla, Mercedes plans ahead and has spare parts even for cars that are 30 years old or more.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:31 AM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
Not 100% sure but most likely. Sunshade rail seems sandwiched, I don't see any ways other than from top (glass and sun roof removed) or bottom (headliner/trim removed). 2 hours quote is about right for this much work. Whatever way it is, very bad luck Sure it can be fix and won't cause damages (if they do a good job), but just don't like the feeling. If this happens after even one month, i wouldn't be so sad... At least you can say ok it's just the quality sucks. This is more like a defective product from factory to me. Haven't told me when the part will arrive. Parked until then. In case I really feel bad about it I can still sell it as new for minimum loss.

Last edited by opelrsx; 03-27-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
S550
There’s a lot of speculation here. I’m not trying to minimize the situation with your 450 and you’re right you shouldn’t have to go through this with any new vehicle but these things happen with many automobile manufactures. You should’ve asked the shop foreman more questions. He or she are in the best position to answer your questions. If I were you I’d pick up the phone and start asking questions.

Last edited by tate16t; 03-27-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
I think I fixed it!! in my garage...

The fact that it closes no problem but only failed to open made me think "the disconnected hook" makes no sense. If it is disconnected from the rail then it should fail both ways. Turns out the problem is the bar on passenger side end got stuck! Push, pull and wiggled the bar a bit, you know what, it's working!! tried 10+ times open/close, no more problem! Thanks god I thought it over twice didn't just sit on shop foreman's conculsion and let them tear it apart!!!!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I know exactly how you feel about having your new car taken apart, I'm the same. I wonder if your car really left the manufacturing plant like that or if something happened after wards. I used to go to a local hand car wash because I didn't want the harsh brushes from automatic car washes to give my paint swirl marks until I repeatedly noticed that my car had scratches coming from that hand car wash, so now I'm washing it myself with a waterless car wash system.
A few days ago I got an oil change at my Mercedes dealer and I let them do the "complimentary" car wash... I paid $116 for the oil change. When my car was ready for pickup I wondered why it was parked so close to the car in front that I had to walk around the back to get in, the service hall was otherwise pretty empty. When I got home I saw that my front license plate was bent so badly that I had to take it off to get it straightened, so that was apparently why the guy who washed the car parked it the way he did. I'm really starting to trust nobody including the expensive Mercedes dealer!
I don't trust the dealer for washing. I have learned a hard lesson as well. Dealerships hire people at low wages and they are horrible in terms of how they drive your car and somehow manage to put scratches on the car.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe

The fact that it closes no problem but only failed to open made me think "the disconnected hook" makes no sense. If it is disconnected from the rail then it should fail both ways. Turns out the problem is the bar on passenger side end got stuck! Push, pull and wiggled the bar a bit, you know what, it's working!! tried 10+ times open/close, no more problem! Thanks god I thought it over twice didn't just sit on shop foreman's conculsion and let them tear it apart!!!!
That's great news. I was getting worried for you. I hate them ripping a new car apart. Dealership is not as knowledgeable as people think.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[2017 GLS63]
Awesome, glad it's fixed. Keep your experiences coming. Need more insights on the GLS! :-)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:04 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by sam9187
I don't trust the dealer for washing. I have learned a hard lesson as well. Dealerships hire people at low wages and they are horrible in terms of how they drive your car and somehow manage to put scratches on the car.
Good to know I'm not the only (crazy) one thinking like that. I'm convinced that they scratched my car with their belt buckles when leaning over to reach over the hood, windshield, roof.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 AM

2017 GLS 450

Great, I'm glad for you!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:47 AM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
Thanks guys. So far no more problem, looks like the "wiggling" fixed it! LOL...
Old 04-11-2018, 12:28 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
One more question guys, when you press the button to spray water (windshield wiper), is there a "ticking" sound coming from passenger side footwell area? like a clock ticking, not very loud, but I can hear it without the music on. Used that function first time yesterday, I thought there's a bomb ticking

Last edited by opelrsx; 04-11-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,046 Likes on 693 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
One more question guys, when you press the button to spray water (windshield wiper), is there a "ticking" sound coming from passenger side footwell area? like a clock ticking, not very loud, but I can hear it without the music on. Used that function first time yesterday, I thought there's a bomb ticking
havent noticed any strange noises with the wipers. I love magic vision!
Old 04-11-2018, 05:21 PM

2019 GLS 63 AMG
Bad relay? Sounds like one, but there is water coming out of the wiper as far as I can see. Maybe designed to make such a sound? but then you guys should have it all.... The ticking sound is coming from passenger side fuse box or around it I think. I will open the fuse box take a look tomorrow.

Another trip to the dealership maybe, guess I am not very lucky
Old 04-12-2018, 08:32 PM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
Are you sure about taking off the rear section roof glass? I thought that they may have to loosen the ceiling which is annoying enough. I just watched some videos on youtube where people had their car serviced and the dash cam recorded what really happened...seriously I don't want anyone to touch my car! My sister in law just got hit in the side with her 6 month old Tesla Model X. You may have heard that Tesla has issues making the doors fit properly when they make the cars, imagine how they will fit after an accident?! Well, my sister in law won't find out for the next 5 months because that's how long the repair will take due to Tesla not having spare parts in stock. By the time she gets her Tesla back it will be almost a year old and I'm pretty sure the insurance company will not pay for a rental car even remotely comparable to a 100K car. When I got hit with my C350 the insurance was willing to pay $20/day which was just enough for a little Nissan. That's one of the nice little differences between Mercedes, one of the oldest car makers and innovative new companies like Tesla, Mercedes plans ahead and has spare parts even for cars that are 30 years old or more.
Sooo... I happen to have quite a bit of 1st hand knowledge in this area and want to point out a few things I had to learn the hard way. 1st, no, Mercedes does not plan ahead and have plenty of parts on hand. With parts that they do have in stock, they can decide to allocate them only to new vehicles in production and none to shops for repairs. For example, my '12 ML350 had a defective front shock and I only had it for a few days at that point. I had to wait a month before it was replaced. The ML was traded in for the '16 GLE350 in Jan '16. In May '16 I needed a new windshield (rock chip). MB was not releasing any windshields for repair. I had a Tahoe as a rental for 2.5 months. A manager at Safelite glass had to approve the rental for that long.

As for what you get for a rental and for how long, a common misconception is that you should get something comparable to your car getting fixed, and have it as long as the repair takes. This is not the case. Your insurance policy is your contract and the terms are laid out in the section for substitute transportation. The poster above said his insurance company covered $20/day. Depending on your insurance company, you can elect to change that to $30, $45, or $60/day. It may also say only for 30 days but you can change that as well. I have mine at $45/day for 30 days. Of course, your premium may change as well. The key is that it will also say the maximum that your policy covers. So no matter how long the repair takes, they will stop paying once that max is reached. Their contractual amount is fulfilled, even if the shop has not finished your car yet. If you know in advance, like the above poster's sister w/ the Tesla, or are getting close to that limit, talk with the shop and the insurance co to get it settled beforehand who is going to pay for the rental. Both of my cars were in the shop last fall. The GLE was finished right at the 30 day mark. The shop dropped it to my house on Friday and I took it back to them on Monday for some things that weren't 100%. The shop covered the rental at this point. The BMW took a few more days and the shop that was at wouldn't cover anything so I returned the rental, and used Uber to get to work.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2018 GLS 450 incoming