GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Is it too big as a DD in LA?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Is it too big as a DD in LA?

Looking to get a GLS for use in LA, but concerned it might be a bit too big and i'll have grief worrying about where each end is sitting at any given time, and trying to do lane changes in heavy traffic. Hoping to hear any experiences you guys have with it? Is it better for surburbia rather then a relativly dense place like LA?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,836 Likes on 3,023 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I don’t see an issue. Have you seen the size of lifted Toyota and Ford pickup trucks on the 91? A GLS is a compact car by comparison. How comfortable are you driving a mid size SUV, in general?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by darkus
Looking to get a GLS for use in LA, but concerned it might be a bit too big and i'll have grief worrying about where each end is sitting at any given time, and trying to do lane changes in heavy traffic. Hoping to hear any experiences you guys have with it? Is it better for surburbia rather then a relativly dense place like LA?

Thanks!
agree with the previous user, but the car has 2 features that will put your mind at ease. First is the blind spot assist, which is now part of the P1 package that comes with most US GLS450W4 vehicles, the blind spot is tricky since the left side and right side mirrors are at bit narrower than the mirrors on the C, E, and S class and it will tell you when you have a car on your side and the steering wheel will vibrate if you veer out of your lane. Second is the surround view camera, this will give you a birds eye view of the car, including the rear, front, and sides if you have to navigate small spaces. One piece of advice i'd also give you is try to get the LED front lamps, you wont regret it.
The following users liked this post:
darkus (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Originally Posted by chassis
I don’t see an issue. Have you seen the size of lifted Toyota and Ford pickup trucks on the 91? A GLS is a compact car by comparison. How comfortable are you driving a mid size SUV, in general?
I have a Toyota Highlander now as the practical haul stuff around kinda car and it seems like just the right size to me. Never any problems. Test drove a gls in OC and it seemed ok but I could feel the added length (about 10" longer) and reduced rear visibility. It was oc with big roads and no one around so wasn't sure how it would fare in la with all that brings including street parking and traffic merges

I'm loathe to test drive one in la as I don't want to deal with all the scummy salesmen. Might have to

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Actually - if you are open to getting the Parking Assistance Package - and the Driver's Assistance Package - you will have the "nicest" 7-Passenger Ultra-Luxury SUV for LA under $100K for sure !

It's your decision now for a 2019 - or wait till Fall for the "new" 2020..
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS450
I don't find it too big as a daily driver on freeway or city streets. It is a bit wider than many vehicle so you have to be careful where you park as you could get dinged in small space. It is also very tall and will not fit in some low parking garages if you have ski rack mounted. We drive mostly NorCal but the traffic is just as bad as SoCal and have driven there too. It has good pickup but obviously is not as nimble as some of the sportier sedans.

IMO the only reason I would not drive high miles commuting is the poor gas mileage, which tends to fall in the 17/23 range depending on speed. If it is just 1-2 pp commuting then there are many fun vehicles that get way better gas mileage. Also if you are one of those clowns who insists on weaving at high speed you will find that more difficult with any SUV.

Last edited by Boraxo; 04-15-2019 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GL 350d
I drive mine in EU cities and villages without problem. It’s squared of shape is an ally.