GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Upgrade lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2020 | 11:31 AM

2018 X253, 2017 X166
Upgrade lighting

Hello all,

New member here. I just purchased a CPO 2017 X166. Unfortunately I did not do my due diligence and I didn't realize the importance of the lighting package. I've been looking for ways to upgrade the poor halogen lights and came across 2 possible solutions. There seems to be a number of good experiences from users who used the kit from AznOptics (Hylux/XTR HID system - H7). I also found LED bulbs sold by Lasfit. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with just changing to LED bulbs. Is there a performance difference? It seems like the install is simpler and cleaner without significant mods other than using aftermarket dust caps. It looked like for the HID system, while also plug and play, you would have to mount a number of things (canbus ballst) in the hood.

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-2020 | 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Go with the HID kit. Even AznOptics will tell you that's your best bet or in the not so distance past that's been their recommendation. They are active on this forum so reach out to them.

Yeah, the stock halogen bulbs are horrible in the GL/S. MB should be embarrassed to put those in such a nice vehicle. Upgraded lighting should not have been an upgrade in a GL/GLS. I remember when I picked up my 164GL from the dealership and drove it home - didn't think I was going to make it since the headlights were so bad. Literally, the first thing I did to the car was the HID upgrade kit. Made all the difference in the world. My advice, get the best kit you can afford so you are not constantly changing bulbs/ballasts.
Old 06-22-2020 | 08:59 AM

2013 GL450
some two years ago, i tried about 4 different types of LEDs, but not bright enough and doesn't project light far enough; tried a few HID kits until i settled on Morimoto's 50w bulbs and AznOptics hylux 35w ballasts ... no problems as of date (wish the hylux made a 50w ballast as they hylux brand for me appear to be the most stable and no error codes) ... most will outfit the 50w bulbs with 35w ballasts (logic is longevity of the bulbs, for me, i don't really care since it's lasted me more than 2 years, be happy to buy another pair of bulbs even if it means a 2year life as I would gladly pay for the little "extra" brightness of a 50w ballast) ... that said, the HIDs are brighter for the overall cast and has a further projection than any of the LEDs I've tried some two years ago (i've been told that the stock halogen lens projector is not ideal as if they were original HID lens projector) ... BUT not as bright as OEM HIDs with the corresponding projector housing ... but far better than any Halogen ... and i put LEDs in my High Beams ... that said, LED retrofits may have come along way since some two years ago ... the biggest thing i've been told is that LEDs inefficient heat displacement is it's downfall ... unlike modern day OEM LED (which are multiple LED chips spread out into different areas), retrofit LEDs have to squeeze them, usually just two and hence not as bright, into a relatively small single housing and cannot dissipate heat well enough and hence shortening the life ... but do let us know if you've come across new LED retrofits that surpasses HIDs and lasting longer than one year ... if not HID is the way to go ...

Last edited by vivaitalia; 06-22-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2020 | 09:50 AM

2018 X253, 2017 X166
Thank you both. Looks like I have my answer. Will go with the kit recommended by AznOptics. Hopefully the install isn’t too challenging.
Old 06-22-2020 | 01:29 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by csong825
Thank you both. Looks like I have my answer. Will go with the kit recommended by AznOptics. Hopefully the install isn’t too challenging.
Shouldn't be ... not sure about the 2017, but for my 2013, i did need to get an adapter ring (and more importantly, JB weld the adapter ring to the bulb metal flange base of the H7) and most people drill a hole through the plastic dust cover plate as the kit you're getting should have a rubber seal ... and a little hand contortion-ing and some blind-finger feel to get the new bulb in ... the rest is just plugs and fittings ... ALSO, i forget the technical term (calling it "reset"), but when i first powered the car on and turned on the lights, NOTHING, then power the whole engine off and powered everything off, waited a few seconds, then started the car and engine again and voila (some sort of resetting thing)
The following users liked this post:
csong825 (06-22-2020)