GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Advice on Possible GLS 550 Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 GLS550 (current), 2019 Lexus RX (wifeys), 2008 GL450
Thought I'd just throw in an update for anyone that's interested. Still trying to finalize the deal this morning. I'm 6 hours away from the dealership so I have to make sure all my ducks are in a row before making the trip. They came down $1K off the list price originally, and haven't budged since. The list is above fair market range according to pretty much everywhere you look, so I'm trying to get another $500 knocked off.

I had a call from the sales guy late yesterday and he said I needed to send him a copy of my license in order for them to send me a pricing break down sheet. He said it was to make sure they get the correct information for taxes, docs, etc., and then he said it's a policy. I didn't feel like arguing with him so I just said okay, I'll send it in the morning, but the more I thought about it, the more shady it all seems. There is no reason they would need my drivers license unless I was there and doing a test drive and then they could say it was for insurance or safety reasons. The other reason is if they were trying to check my credit, which I don't approve of because I already have an approved loan through my bank (doing a Business Auto Loan).

I sent the guy an email this morning asking for CPO Ext Warranty price (I've already been quoted on from other places), Service/Maintenance Packages prices, and told him I didn't like his explanation for why they needed my drivers licenses when I'm 6 hours away.

I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar request for a drivers license to get a cost break down on a car? I've 2 or 3 other dealers send me the sheets without a second thought, so I find this very odd.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any input you can provide.
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 AM

A follow up to that last post. I just got off the phone with the sales guy and he insists that it's an ownership policy and they use a company called Title Tech that requires a license number to work out the numbers.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE300d
I think it is now pretty standard. I'm in San Antonio and purchased my GLE in Dallas, and the GLS in Houston. Both dealerships wanted DL before I showed up, but I was pretty much committed at that point. For the GLS, I used the dealer's financing to get the car, and then refinanced it with my credit union as they wouldn't accept a check from my credit union. The GLS was purchased from a large BMW dealership in the Houston area. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
Let us know if you purchased the 550 and post some pics!
Old 12-07-2020, 06:55 AM

I pulled the trigger Saturday and purchased the ‘17 GLS 550 Black/Beige with 16K miles! I had to drive from Charlotte NC early AM in a rental to GA, about a 4hr trip. Finally finished up around 5PM and drove it home. Traffic was terrible, but it aloud me some time to get my seat settings right and take full advantage of the massage feature, which is the greatest thing EVER!

Thanks to everyone’s input on here, I was able to get CPO extended warranty and wheel coverage for cost. The finance manager was surprised when I told her I wasn’t worried about the extended warranty because I already spoke with someone who could get me a better price. They tried to get me to spill the beans on who was giving me the price, but I wouldn’t tell them. When they realized I wasn’t bluffing, they caved and gave me their cost. After that, they pulled their cost sheet and said they might as well give me the wheel coverage at cost as well since I was probably going to just get it from my “friend” anyway, haha. Out the door price after everything was honestly more than I was wanting to spend, by a lot, but I got a GLS 550 that I’ve been wanting with only 16K miles, still has original warranty up until mid-year, and 3 additional years after that, so I’m telling myself it was worth it. Haha

Now I need to decide on some all weather mats and also get a cargo cover that I didn’t think about until I got back. A dealer friend of mine said he could get most stuff for cost, so I’m going to see what he’s able to do. I’ve always bought Weather-Tech in the past, but curious what everyone’s opinion is on here.

I’ll post some photos ASAP. It’s still dark outside right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by jasonatri:
chassis (12-07-2020), wyatt88 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 E400, 2017 GLS550
Congratulations! I hope it serves you well and wish you many good years of enjoyment.
jasonatri (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 152 Likes on 135 Posts
2023 AMG GLE63s, 2017 AMG SL63, 2024 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
Congrats on the Excellent Purchase ... will be watching for pics ...
Old 12-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jasonatri
I pulled the trigger Saturday and purchased the ‘17 GLS 550 Black/Beige with 16K miles! I had to drive from Charlotte NC early AM in a rental to GA, about a 4hr trip. Finally finished up around 5PM and drove it home. Traffic was terrible, but it aloud me some time to get my seat settings right and take full advantage of the massage feature, which is the greatest thing EVER!

Thanks to everyone’s input on here, I was able to get CPO extended warranty and wheel coverage for cost. The finance manager was surprised when I told her I wasn’t worried about the extended warranty because I already spoke with someone who could get me a better price. They tried to get me to spill the beans on who was giving me the price, but I wouldn’t tell them. When they realized I wasn’t bluffing, they caved and gave me their cost. After that, they pulled their cost sheet and said they might as well give me the wheel coverage at cost as well since I was probably going to just get it from my “friend” anyway, haha. Out the door price after everything was honestly more than I was wanting to spend, by a lot, but I got a GLS 550 that I’ve been wanting with only 16K miles, still has original warranty up until mid-year, and 3 additional years after that, so I’m telling myself it was worth it. Haha

Now I need to decide on some all weather mats and also get a cargo cover that I didn’t think about until I got back. A dealer friend of mine said he could get most stuff for cost, so I’m going to see what he’s able to do. I’ve always bought Weather-Tech in the past, but curious what everyone’s opinion is on here.

@jasonatri Congratulations! Let's see some pics. Weather Tech are the OEM Mercedes mats. Weather Tech also offers aftermarket non-MB branded mats. I have WT mats in my 2017 W166 and they work well, very rugged.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:21 PM

@chassis Thanks! My interior is Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown, so I'm trying to decide if I should get the cocoa or black floor liner mats. I'm guessing the cocoa would be the right way to go. Did you get the MB branded ones or direct from Weather Tech? I'm also having trouble finding a matching retractable cargo cover. I've only seen black, grey, or beige. About to call one of the local dealers to see if they can assist.

Sorry I haven't posted photos yet. It was cold and raining out this morning. Photos are coming, I promise!!!
chassis (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Do not get Weathertech. There are better products available. My problem with Weathertech mats is that the foot well and foot rest does not go up high enough so you have debris that drops in behind the mat. The 3d Maxpider have much better coverage and look nicer. 3D Maxpider Elegant Floor Mats - Precision Fit Contoured Carpet Mats - AutoAnything I had the Weathertech's and replaced them with the 3d Maxpider mats.

AmazonSmile: 3D MAXpider - L1MB03901509 Complete Set Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class/ GL-Class Models - Kagu Rubber (Black): Automotive

Last edited by BlownV8; 12-07-2020 at 07:58 PM.
DaveW68 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@chassis Thanks! My interior is Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown, so I'm trying to decide if I should get the cocoa or black floor liner mats. I'm guessing the cocoa would be the right way to go. Did you get the MB branded ones or direct from Weather Tech? I'm also having trouble finding a matching retractable cargo cover. I've only seen black, grey, or beige. About to call one of the local dealers to see if they can assist.

Sorry I haven't posted photos yet. It was cold and raining out this morning. Photos are coming, I promise!!!
I have the M-B branded mats, they came with the vehicle.

mercedesbenzstarparts.com shows only gray, beige or black cargo roller covers. You can call your nearest dealer and ask if other colors are available.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
AUDI Q7

it is niiiice! I like! 🙌 !
looks like there's a lot of fine older young ladies hiding on the East Coast.
picked 17GLS550 with only 25k miles. Pristine in and out! God bless the original owner for maintaining the car so well for us! I baby cars also, so we 👍.

Chirz,
Bob
PS: cocoa WTechs matches leater.
chassis (12-08-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:09 PM

AUDI Q7
And also, initial thoughts after couple of months(and 5k miles&#128514, indeed you gotta get the into 100k$+(when new) vehicle to get the 🔑 to the Merc Kingdom. All you need/want, and then some. For those thinking 450or550(like i did for few good months).

Chirz,
Bob
Old 12-08-2020, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 477 Likes on 364 Posts
2015 S550
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Do not get Weathertech. There are better products available. My problem with Weathertech mats is that the foot well and foot rest does not go up high enough so you have debris that drops in behind the mat. The 3d Maxpider have much better coverage and look nicer. 3D Maxpider Elegant Floor Mats - Precision Fit Contoured Carpet Mats - AutoAnything I had the Weathertech's and replaced them with the 3d Maxpider mats.

AmazonSmile: 3D MAXpider - L1MB03901509 Complete Set Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class/ GL-Class Models - Kagu Rubber (Black): Automotive
I second this notion. WeatherTech mats look more at home in a Honda or Chevy. They are bulky and super slippery when wet. The Maxpider mats on the other hand look much nicer, less bulky, are very light, and they grip your feet very well, even when wet or slushy. They will also never slide around on your carpet as they grip like glue. I don't even use the regular carpeted mats and leave the Maxpider mats in all year.

Last edited by DaveW68; 12-08-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Interesting views on the floor mats. I've never had an issue with Weather-Tech personally. Had them in my 08 GL450 and they lasted all this time and still looked pretty good. I actually kept them because I didn't want to just give them away with a car that I knew was probably going to auction.

Looking at the Maxpider, I don't see any brown options, just tan, black, and grey, from what I can tell. I don't know how black would look with the beige/expresso brown combo. I would give them a try if I knew they'd match. Has anyone put the black with the brown?
Old 12-08-2020, 12:50 PM

I snapped a quick photo on my way out. I will share some more later. Been super busy last couple of days.

I’m already wondering why I decided to torture myself with another black car. 😂

My “new-to-me” GLS550!
The following 2 users liked this post by jasonatri:
DBMC (01-13-2021), wyatt88 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:46 PM

GLE300d
Congrats!Great looking car!
jasonatri (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:45 PM

AUDI Q7
Originally Posted by DaveW68
I second this notion. WeatherTech mats look more at home in a Honda or Chevy. They are bulky and super slippery when wet. The Maxpider mats on the other hand look much nicer, less bulky, are very light, and they grip your feet very well, even when wet or slushy. They will also never slide around on your carpet as they grip like glue. I don't even use the regular carpeted mats and leave the Maxpider mats in all year.
Hello Gents,
I see the Maxspiders have a cult following here 😄, so it must be something. To be precise, we're we talking about the WTech Liners(laser cut, stiff plasticky kind) that you guys put down (literally &#128513? They're indeed slippery (a bit), thin, and stiff and pricey. WT hubris won't give you any discount. On the pos side, i like they snap off right away to be cleaned. I had an open coffee mug fell into passenger side, no problem.

Willing to consider Maxspider if it has Spider-Man powers also.

Chirz, boyz,

Bobbi Quattro(4Matic)
Old 12-08-2020, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
I snapped a quick photo on my way out. I will share some more later. Been super busy last couple of days.

I’m already wondering why I decided to torture myself with another black car. 😂

My “new-to-me” GLS550!
Congrats! Personally I think the X166 550's are one of the best looking SUV's. Much nicer and more substantial looking than the new generation for sure.
jasonatri (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 03:33 PM

I'm curious how they hold up over the years. I'm also unsure of the color options since they don't have a match for my interior.

Why can't there be a clear and obvious pick! I thought this was going to be easy. 😂

While I would like to try the Maxspiders, I don't think I'm going to be happy if they don't match the interior color. I'd love to see some picks of someone that has them with the same color combo as my own (I haven't searched on here, but will now).
Old 12-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by places
Congrats! Personally I think the X166 550's are one of the best looking SUV's. Much nicer and more substantial looking than the new generation for sure.
Thanks @places ! I agree, the new generation looks a bit softer, in my opinion. They actually had a new GLS 450 parked right next to mine at the dealership, and my 550 definitely looked grander, like it could take on a challenge if I were to take it off the beaten path. With that being said, the interiors of the new models are extremely nice, and I'm sure the exteriors will grow on me over time.

I like my SUV to look like an SUV. I don't want it to look like minivan hybrid like a lot of the Japanese companies have done. Look at what they did to the Pathfinder and Pilot. I'm just waiting for Toyota to ruin the 4Runner. That will be a sad, sad day.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Yes, black will look just fine in your ginger beige expresso brown interior. There are lots of black plastic pieces so the black mats will blend right in. Yes, the Maxpider mats are much nicer in every respect, in my opinion, than the Weathertechs. As stated, I have both and the Weathertechs feel and look low quality as compared to the 3D Maxpider product.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:04 PM

Thought I should update this thread since I did go ahead and purchase the 3D Maxpider mats for all 3 rows in black, and they look good. The 2nd row lifts up a little in the center when first installing, but I'm going to give it a little time to see if it goes down. I'll post some photos after I vacuum them so they're not all leafy, haha.

Anyone have a suggestion for cargo liner that covers with the 3rd row down? I did a search on here and saw some threads but nothing that really leaned one way or another. Looking online, it looks like WeatherTech is really the only option I'm seeing that I feel comfortable buying. Seems like the MB stores all show "Boot Tub - Shallow - Black / Polypropylene" Part # 166-814-01-00 as being the only option, and it doesn't say if it's for the cargo space with the 3rd row down or not. The MB one also says it fits GLE, which I found odd. Guess it's probably going to be WT, but I'll have to decide whether to go Black or Cocoa. The struggle is real.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
MB GLS450
Thought I should update this thread since I did go ahead and purchase the 3D Maxpider mats for all 3 rows in black, and they look good. The 2nd row lifts up a little in the center when first installing, but I'm going to give it a little time to see if it goes down. I'll post some photos after I vacuum them so they're not all leafy, haha.

Anyone have a suggestion for cargo liner that covers with the 3rd row down? I did a search on here and saw some threads but nothing that really leaned one way or another. Looking online, it looks like WeatherTech is really the only option I'm seeing that I feel comfortable buying. Seems like the MB stores all show "Boot Tub - Shallow - Black / Polypropylene" Part # 166-814-01-00 as being the only option, and it doesn't say if it's for the cargo space with the 3rd row down or not. The MB one also says it fits GLE, which I found odd. Guess it's probably going to be WT, but I'll have to decide whether to go Black or Cocoa. The struggle is real.
I have the canvasback liner in mine and very happy with it. Works with third row up or down. You can also get side pieces to protect the side.

https://www.canvasback.com/mercedes-...rgo-liner.html

https://www.canvasback.com/mercedes-...de-pieces.html
The following 2 users liked this post by JaTe:
barsaec (12-19-2020), jasonatri (12-22-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 03:08 PM

GLE300d
I have a canvasback on my GLE for my dogs. I haven't got around to getting one on the GLS yet. Theirs works with the 3rd row up, or down, a huge benefit.
jasonatri (12-22-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice on Possible GLS 550 Purchase