GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Night Package Discoloration Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Yes, MB does have some ground to make up. I think I'm done with MB's for some time if/when my current cars need to be replaced. Not because of their customer service as my local dealer is pretty good; rather, for quality issues and their 48v systems.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 MB GLS550, 1985 MB 500SEL Grey Market
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Yes, MB does have some ground to make up. I think I'm done with MB's for some time if/when my current cars need to be replaced. Not because of their customer service as my local dealer is pretty good; rather, for quality issues and their 48v systems.
I'm not knowledgeable on the 48v system, other than what I googled. Can you tell me what difficulties you've experienced with it? Would be good to know for future purchase consideration. Thanks.
Old Today, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,188 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Nightbird
I'm not knowledgeable on the 48v system, other than what I googled. Can you tell me what difficulties you've experienced with it? Would be good to know for future purchase consideration. Thanks.
2020 cars had batteries that were sourced as a kind of emergency.
Tesla bought Mercedes' battery supplier and partner in research on 2019, including manufacturing facilities, which they refused to honor. They also stole the advanced battery technology and fired the founder.
So, yes, Mercedes played catch up that year because of Tesla.
Since then there hasn't been a proponderance of 48 volt issues. No more than other brands, as far as I can tell.
Old Today, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 MB GLS550, 1985 MB 500SEL Grey Market
Originally Posted by mikapen
2020 cars had batteries that were sourced as a kind of emergency.
Tesla bought Mercedes' battery supplier and partner in research on 2019, including manufacturing facilities, which they refused to honor. They also stole the advanced battery technology and fired the founder.
So, yes, Mercedes played catch up that year because of Tesla.
Since then there hasn't been a proponderance of 48 volt issues. No more than other brands, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for the info. I’m not surprised Tesla did that. I once considered buying one due to its outstanding crash safety results, until I saw how behind the times it was in passenger comfort -no ventilated or massaging seats, a cramped interior, an inadequate and odd ventilation system, and outrageous replacement parts prices. Adding to that is the nutjob running the company, and I’m glad I didn’t give them a cent.