Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
Air Suspension?

Greetings,

I am a new guy, so if I violate any rules please forgive the transgression.

I have a 2018 GLS 450. I took it in for a B service. They told me I needed two things:

1. Air suspension on both sides (4500)
2. Spark Plugs (645)

Clearly I won't pay that. I have done air suspension on a Porsche, so this cannot be that difficult. I could use some help understanding parts though. Is there an issue using Arnott struts? They are ALOT cheaper. But sometimes there is a reason. Also, how would I figure out which part I need? Is there a site to look it up? Would Reman be an option? I used reman on the porsche and it worked fine, but that doesnt mean it will work here.

Old 07-23-2022, 09:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Mayback
Originally Posted by BeanCounter70
Greetings,

I have a 2018 GLS 450. I took it in for a B service. They told me I needed two things:

2. Spark Plugs (645)

Clearly I won't pay that. I have done air suspension on a Porsche, so this cannot be that difficult. I could use some help understanding parts though. Is there an issue using Arnott struts? They are ALOT cheaper. But sometimes there is a reason. Also, how would I figure out which part I need? Is there a site to look it up? Would Reman be an option? I used reman on the porsche and it worked fine, but that doesnt mean it will work here.
How many miles on the truck?

Why is still not under factory warranty and if not, how far out of warranty is it?

You did not purchase extended factory warranty coverage or extend CPO coverage if it was purchased as a Certified Pre-owned (recommended)?

Do you notice any symptoms of the failed air suspension (difference in ride)?

Finally, if this vehicle is out of warranty, why are you taking it to a Mercedes dealer for maintenance instead of a cheaper local German auto shop that specializes in Mercedes?
Old 07-23-2022, 05:41 PM

2018 GLS450
The car has 48k on it. I take it to the dealer because I am lazy and they are close.

they told me the car has an oil leak in one of the struts. I didn’t look though. I don’t notice any difference. I had a Porsche Cayenne lose a strut and there was oil all over the place. The ride hasn’t degraded in any case but it didn’t in the porsche either.

I bought the car cpo in November of 2020. No warranty purchases at the time.

it might be time to find a reputable third party shop. Or start doing this stuff myself. I can, but I am just lazy.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
I bought the car cpo in November of 2020. No warranty purchases at the time.
Which means there are 5 years (unlimited mileage) of warranty from the original "in-service" date (4 years for the original new car warranty and 1 year for CPO which does not kick in until original new car warranty expired).

Since the vehicle is 2018 (per the 1st post), its original "in-service" date is likely not earlier than August of 2017, which means there's still warranty for air struts and the oil leak (not plugs since its maintenance item).
The following users liked this post:
WillieMack (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 07:05 PM

Mayback
Originally Posted by threeMBs
Which means there are 5 years (unlimited mileage) of warranty from the original "in-service" date (4 years for the original new car warranty and 1 year for CPO which does not kick in until original new car warranty expired).

Since the vehicle is 2018 (per the 1st post), its original "in-service" date is likely not earlier than August of 2017, which means there's still warranty for air struts and the oil leak (not plugs since its maintenance item).
Exactly what I’m thinking as well.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:20 PM

2018 GLS450
Well that is interesting. I didn’t even stop to think that.

I will follow up with them on Monday. Very curious if they actually do it. If it’s a legit problem it should be covered.
Old 07-24-2022, 07:35 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2017 GLS 550
Well that is interesting. I didn’t even stop to think that.

I will follow up with them on Monday. Very curious if they actually do it. If it’s a legit problem it should be covered.
Air suspension is indeed covered under a CPO.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Plugs are due at 50k, so either DIY, pay the dealer or find an independent shop.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Greetings,

2. Spark Plugs (645)

I purchased an out-of-warranty 2017 GLS450 and was similarly told the rear air shocks were leaking by the dealer. Having done enough research, I knew the dealer (and even my Mercedes indy mechanic) would quote a ridiculous amount to replace (confirmed by your post). I e-mailed Arnott my VIN and confirm the part number for my vehicle, which was air spring A-2596 for the right or left rear of the GL/GLS-Class with AIRMATIC (with or without ADS) (https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...-left-or-right).

I'd say I was able to install these in about 1.5 hours. I'm decently mechanically inclined having worked on my own vehicles for most of my adult life, and I would rate this job a 4 out of 10 in difficulty (so not bad). The biggest hassle is getting the rear of the vehicle in the air and then unthreading the old nuts on the air lines (it's very tight and you need to use an open-ended wrench) - not hard just awkward. Installing the new air lines is super easy given Arnott's design is pressure fitted (does not require a nut).

I purchased my Arnott shocks from an eBay seller for $360 shipped (listing is still available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313186683281).

No issues with calibration after install. IMPORTANT NOTE: I did unplug the air shock fuse prior to install after watching a Youtube video.

I will also add, my old rear bags WERE SUPER WORN OUT. Very swollen and sagging. I was glad to be tackling the job.

The following 2 users liked this post by mrobinso:
hkny (12-22-2023), wyatt88 (08-05-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 10:04 PM

GLS350
My GLS350 2018 model has the same issue, only done 60000km on it. but bought as used from another dealer and took extended warranty but told the suspension wont cover under warranty as its classified as wear and tear. The bill to repair it is $4300aud, i have asked the mercedes dealer(service) to contact mercedes to see if they are willing to cover this. if not i need to find an after market air sping as the genuine parts are 1900aud per spring
Old 12-02-2022, 03:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by chassis
Plugs are due at 50k, so either DIY, pay the dealer or find an independent shop.
i have not done my plugs…I’m at 92k…no difference noticed, what’s the worry?
chassis (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 07:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by bakestein1
i have not done my plugs…I’m at 92k…no difference noticed, what’s the worry?
No worries. Changing plugs and coils makes a noticeable difference in smoothness. It's your call if you worry about such things.

Do you like to maintain your vehicle according to manufacturer's specifications? From your question, it appears you are indifferent to this. Do you agree?
Old 12-03-2022, 08:47 AM

2018 GLS 550
I’m quite upset with my inability to easily obtain “manufacturers specifications” at all. It should be in a book, given to me by my dealership. Instead I’m tied to Command telling me I need an A, B, or C. My system malfunctioned from the start (I bought my 2018 GLS 550 with ~9k on it). Never did tell me when to do the various checks and MX, other than ALWAYS stating 10000 to C. I brought this up with the dealership when I’d go there to replace a tire or wheel ( lots of potholes out in the country) but wasn’t fixed until about 1k ago. So I have to “find” the info from y’all. I do appreciate it!

BTW the wheel and tire warranty has been great!

In Christ alone!

Last edited by bakestein1; 12-03-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:09 AM

Mayback
I’m quite upset with my inability to easily obtain “manufacturers specifications” at all. It should be in a book, given to me by my dealership. Instead I’m tied to Command telling me I need an A, B, or C. My system malfunctioned from the start (I bought my 2018 GLS 550 with ~9k on it). Never did tell me when to do the various checks and MX, other than ALWAYS stating 10000 to C. I brought this up with the dealership when I’d go there to replace a tire or wheel ( lots of potholes out in the country) but wasn’t fixed until about 1k ago. So I have to “find” the info from y’all. I do appreciate it!

In Christ alone!
"Wheel and tire" warranty is just another money making tool for the dealer like paint protection.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC

In Christ alone!
Click the DIY link in my signature, and the maintenance booklet is the last item in the DIY index.
bakestein1 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:42 AM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by WillieMack
"Wheel and tire" warranty is just another money making tool for the dealer like paint protection.
It has gotten me, three rims replaced and 5 tires replaced…for a $50 copay each time.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:09 PM

Mayback
It has gotten me, three rims replaced and 5 tires replaced…for a $50 copay each time.
Tire coverage is totally unnecessary. Pretty much all online and local tire distributors include a FREE 2 or 3 year road hazard warranty on new tires. I’ve gotten plenty of road damaged/punctured Michelins replaced absolutely free from Tire Rack through road hazard warranty with no deductible. You even get reimbursement back on the prorated mileage warranty.

Hardly anyone ever needs a wheel replaced. Even severely cracked/bent/curb rashed wheels can all be repaired like new at around $150-$200 from a reputable wheel shop. My local Benz dealer outsources wheel repair to a local wheel shop.

I laughed at the dealer when they tried to sell me the $3000+ wheel and tire warranty on my GLS.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:06 AM

2019 mercedes gls450
Originally Posted by mrobinso
I purchased an out-of-warranty 2017 GLS450 and was similarly told the rear air shocks were leaking by the dealer. Having done enough research, I knew the dealer (and even my Mercedes indy mechanic) would quote a ridiculous amount to replace (confirmed by your post). I e-mailed Arnott my VIN and confirm the part number for my vehicle, which was air spring A-2596 for the right or left rear of the GL/GLS-Class with AIRMATIC (with or without ADS) (https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...-left-or-right).

I'd say I was able to install these in about 1.5 hours. I'm decently mechanically inclined having worked on my own vehicles for most of my adult life, and I would rate this job a 4 out of 10 in difficulty (so not bad). The biggest hassle is getting the rear of the vehicle in the air and then unthreading the old nuts on the air lines (it's very tight and you need to use an open-ended wrench) - not hard just awkward. Installing the new air lines is super easy given Arnott's design is pressure fitted (does not require a nut).

I purchased my Arnott shocks from an eBay seller for $360 shipped (listing is still available: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313186683281).

No issues with calibration after install. IMPORTANT NOTE: I did unplug the air shock fuse prior to install after watching a Youtube video.

I will also add, my old rear bags WERE SUPER WORN OUT. Very swollen and sagging. I was glad to be tackling the job.
I did the same replacement, on my 2019 I had to bend the metal back holding the ride height sensor to get my air shocks removed and replaced. Now I’m thinking the ride height sensor is not positioned correctly and my back is sagging more than the front. Not sure if you had similar issues??