Do not shift gears take to the dealer (intermittent) 13 x166

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X166 2013 GL450
Do not shift gears take to the dealer (intermittent) 13 x166

Hey all,
I have a 2013 GL450 with 133K. It rides smooth and has no issues starting. It does have an issue shifting at times. Occasionally, it will take 2-4 tries to get the car into drive. I had an issue last month where it would not go into drive at all and needed to be sent to a repair shop to replace a "defective" electronic shift module. I have a third electronic shift module in place. Prior to the changes, I was receiving a message every time I started the car stating "do not shift gears take to the dealer. After the third module was put in, it only happens every 5-8 starts. I took it to mercedes to get their perspective. They think the issue could be the valve body and not the module without doing a full diagnostic. I'm trying to determine what it is to see if I'm going to just buy a 2018 GLS 550 or just stick with old faithful until these rates drop for a few more years. I just simply don't like the risk of my vehicle randomly being stuck in park one day. Has anyone had an experience like this?
Old 11-17-2023, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
had this happen last week on my X164 its the Little Black Box (ISM)
on the Side of the Transmission needs to be replaced. and its an anti-theft item.
Old 11-18-2023, 12:03 PM

X166 2013 GL450
That's what's so puzzling. I had that replaced 2 months ago and still experienced issues so I returned it to the shop. The part was under warranty with Mercedes so they sent another one. Now it has been replaced twice. I even bought a break light switch thinking that could be the case. I am taking it to another repair shop on Tuesday. I am hoping the first shop did not do something right bc the new shop said it could be the valve body or oil getting into places it shouldn't. If it is the ladder then I will probably trade it to Mercedes to have it auctioned and just get a new one but I would love to not have a payment and keep this one going. It's just frustrating to put money into a car that keeps needing attention.
Old 11-18-2023, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
maybe they didnt Clear The fault Codes after installation.., also make sure your Main Battery is Not Dying. under voltage can cause problems..
Old 11-19-2023, 08:51 AM

X166 2013 GL450
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
maybe they didnt Clear The fault Codes after installation.., also make sure your Main Battery is Not Dying. under voltage can cause problems..

That's what I'm hoping and I did take my battery to autozone and they saw it at 59% charged. I could replace it. I am hoping it is something small. I really love the car and see no need to get rid of it aside from constantly fixing a problem no one can pinpoint.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Something Slow
i would replace the battery first you can get a decent battery from Walmart for $180 same as anyone just a Different Label everstart h8 agm battery platinum 4 year warranty