GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

GLS 450 cannot start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLS
Question GLS 450 cannot start up

Hi all! Newbie here. My GLS 450 cannot start up - no crank. I've replaced the battery but no use. Here is the story: last December I hit a deer with the front. MB-authorized body shop has repaired it and things seem to be working except for some occasional error messages related to the headlight, etc. I have it checked and MB charged me $200 for it, only to find that the battery was bad. Before I was able to change the battery, the car won't start up. I jump-started the car and I was able to drive it back home, then it won't start anymore. I replaced the battery (it turns out the old battery was working fine), no use. I ran a test on the vehicle, and the report is attached. Can someone help me to see what the potential issue could be?

Thank you very much! I would appreciate any help.
Attached Files
Old 06-16-2024, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
MB-authorized body shop has repaired it
Body shops are notoriously bad with anything electrical. Probably one or more bad connections somewhere. It could be from the accident, or it could be something they unplugged then painted over the plugs, or filled them with Bondo dust.

This code will keep it from starting:
U042700 Stored&Current Implausible data were received from the electronic ignition lock.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLS
Originally Posted by John CC
Body shops are notoriously bad with anything electrical. Probably one or more bad connections somewhere. It could be from the accident, or it could be something they unplugged then painted over the plugs, or filled them with Bondo dust.

This code will keep it from starting:
U042700 Stored&Current Implausible data were received from the electronic ignition lock.
Thank you very much! This is very helpful. I will look into it. I tried to test today with a circuit probe, and I think I might make it worse - the car now is giving me an error message "Service Required: Do Not Shift Gears, Visit Dealer". The computer couldn't ready transmission and engine codes .... I'll take another look, but I might have to take it to the dealer to see