GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Random Issues - New purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
Random Issues - New purchase

Hello all, long time member, recently back in a Benz… Picked up a 2018 GLS550 as a daily, and noticed a couple small things that I’d like to figure out.

1) Side Bolsters & Massage Function… Massage seems to be not working, or working but very very weak. I could swear I felt it one day very faintly, but most times, I don’t feel anything. I also tried to adjust the side bolsters, and the first time, they adjusted, and when I got in the car next time, the were at 0 again, so I went in to adjust and as soon as I select any number, it just goes right back to 0 on the display. It seems to be intermittent, but any time I adjust, if it does hold, within a few minutes, I can feel them going back to 0.

2) Very faint clunk in the front end that I can feel in the steering wheel, mainly at low speeds over bumps, or at higher speeds over consecutive smaller bumps. I looked underneath as best I could with the car raised all the way up on a slight incline, and all swaybar ends and tie rod ends seem to be solid, but the car was still on the ground, have not had a chance to get it on a lift yet.

Anyways, still glad to be back in a MB, and it definitely compliments my other toy well… Thanks for the help in advance!
Old Today, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLS550
What is your mileage? Chances are good that you may be due for lower ball joints.

The first thing I would do after an oil change and air filter change is get it to a reputable independent euro repair shop for a four-wheel alignment. I would have them set the rear camber as close to zero as possible and have them advise about ball joints at that time.

Welcome back!
Old Today, 02:27 PM

2018 GLS 550
Thanks! It’s got about 76k miles. I know the dealer replaced one of the front struts as well before I bought it.
Old Today, 02:30 PM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by clarkpittman
What is your mileage? Chances are good that you may be due for lower ball joints.

The first thing I would do after an oil change and air filter change is get it to a reputable independent euro repair shop for a four-wheel alignment. I would have them set the rear camber as close to zero as possible and have them advise about ball joints at that time.

Welcome back!

Since you’re close to me, any recommendations on a shop? Was thinking Modern Mercedes?