GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Are my parking sensors broken or deactivated?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gl550
Are my parking sensors broken or deactivated?

Hi all.

I traded my 2014 gl 550 for a 2018 gls550

on my gl the parktronic system was activated and all sensors worked well. This new gls seems to have the feature because it has the sensors on the dash and around the bumper. There’s no P button in the center console that suggests when the car can park itself. However It has the P button on the radio. When I press the button , the sensors on the dash light up and then turn off just as the P button. I’ve attached pics below.

they seem not to work or they are not turned on. I took car to Mercedes before purchasing and there were no codes for that.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by JAbinader; 08-29-2024 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
They should be activated every time the car is restarted. The P OFF button as the label says temporarily turns them off when you press it. If the P OFF button is lit, it means the parking sensors are temporarily off and will automatically turn back on next time the car is started or after P OFF is pressed again. It sounds like yours are malfunctioning.
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gl550
Seems like after getting a car wash the sensors and parktronic are not working. The guy used a power wash to clean car. Sensors were working great prior to that. I wonder if they got actually damaged due to the power wash pressure , or if the sensors are still wet. It’s been three days. Hopefully they dry up on their own and it’s not a damaged sensor.

QUOTE=superswiss;9024455]They should be activated every time the car is restarted. The P OFF button as the label says temporarily turns them off when you press it. If the P OFF button is lit, it means the parking sensors are temporarily off and will automatically turn back on next time the car is started or after P OFF is pressed again. It sounds like yours are malfunctioning.[/QUOTE]
Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,937 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by JAbinader
Seems like after getting a car wash the sensors and parktronic are not working. The guy used a power wash to clean car. Sensors were working great prior to that. I wonder if they got actually damaged due to the power wash pressure , or if the sensors are still wet. It’s been three days. Hopefully they dry up on their own and it’s not a damaged sensor.

QUOTE=superswiss;9024455]They should be activated every time the car is restarted. The P OFF button as the label says temporarily turns them off when you press it. If the P OFF button is lit, it means the parking sensors are temporarily off and will automatically turn back on next time the car is started or after P OFF is pressed again. It sounds like yours are malfunctioning.
[/quote]

They are likely toast now. Pressure washing them directly is a no-no. Should even say it in the owner's manual. Direct aim at them and at close distance can damage them.