MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   GLS Class (X167) (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x167-255/)
-   -   BMW X7 vs GLS test drive comparison (https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class-x167/758523-bmw-x7-vs-gls-test-drive-comparison.html)

bos31337 10-06-2019 12:19 AM

BMW X7 vs GLS test drive comparison

I took the time to drive both a 2020 GLS 450 and two BMW X7s today.

I already wrote up my GLS test drive notes in another thread, so I'll jot down some comparative observations about the X7 here, since the two are clearly in tight competition.

The X7 is priced slightly lower than the GLS by about $3000, and the difference persists even as you ladder up the configurations of each to similar levels. So the decision-making is going to come down to more subjective features.

The first X7 I drove was the xDrive 50i, which is the V8 that competes with the GLS 580. I wasn't interested in this but it happened to be the only X7 on the lot when I showed up, so I tried it out of curiosity.

THE INTERIOR

I should mention color options. One of the X7s I drove had seats that I can only describe as orange. An adult part of my brain wanted to be offended by the orangeness of the leather, but the kid inside won, and it looked awesome. The interior color options on the GLS look frankly geriatric in comparison. If you want to feel like a comfy retired proctologist, the interior of the GLS is for you. If you fancy yourself a coke-snorting 21st century Mad Men wannabe, then you'll be delighted to do a bump off the orange leather of your X7.

With both the GLS and the X7, the interior is a notch less fancy than the supposedly comparable sedan. Despite Mercedes's claims, the GLS is definitely not as slick as an S-class. And the X7 is less plush than a 7-series, by about the same amount. In each case, the interiors are very nice, don't get me wrong. They're simply cheaper vehicles than the sedans while also heavier, and some of your dollars are simply going into all of that extra metal and glass and SUV-making material, and therefore not into leather all over every squishy surface.

THE THIRD ROW

I start every SUV try-out in the third row, as my family runs tall and most third rows are suitable only for children. The X7 and GLS both barely fit my 6-foot frame in the third row. I'd strongly recommend speccing the captain's seats for the second row so your victims, I mean passengers, in the third row have a shot at stretching at least one leg out.

Notable about the X7 third row is that it has a little sunroof just above and in front of it. This probably makes it feel brighter than the third row of the GLS, but as the GLS I test drove didn't have the panoramic sunroof, I cannot be sure. A consequence is that the X7 feels like it has less headroom in the third row than the GLS, though.

The seating was comfortable and the headrests were designed by sane people. I cannot say the same for the third-row headrests in the GLS, which I assume were designed by ex-Stasi torturers due to the big ridge that digs into, I kid you not, the upper reaches of your back. Why, Mercedes, why must you spec these idiotic headrests?

Getting into the third row is a squeeze if you try to use the gap between the captain's chairs, as the gap between them is much tighter than in the GLS. If you're carrying an extra bunch of body weight, you can forget making it through that gap without some awkward acrobatics.

Meanwhile, if you want to electrically move the second-row seats to get into the third row, you'd better have a good show to watch on Netflix, or wait – did I mean a good season? The time it takes would try the patience of a geologist, we're talking tectonic speeds.

Finally, you get just one USB-C port on each side like some kind of peasant, instead of two in the GLS. And they're hidden under some covers, sharing the space with a few tie-downs.

THE SECOND ROW

The captain's chairs are comfy, no doubt, and pleasingly adjustable. Aside from the weirdly small gap between the seats compared to the GLS (the bigger gap is better, in my opinion), my one other complaint is that the arms on the insides feel flimsy, and are prone to sliding forwards and backwards under the slightest pressure. The panoramic sunroof is very nice. The vehicle I drove had soft-close doors, and I liked them.

One of the demo vehicles I drove had second-row infotainment. I poked at them for a minute but really don't care about them, so I couldn't tell if they're actually useful for anything beyond random info about the car. I can't imagine who'd want these when they could clip an iPad into place for probably less.

THE FRONT

The front seats are sweet, and in the car I drove very configurable. Every time you fiddle with something, the infotainment screen tries to helpfully offer you information and options.

One funny aspect is the glass shifter and other buttons available as options. I imagined these would be maddening reflectors capable of sending the sun into my eyes from all angles and at all times – and I was right. If you have an emotional need for this kind of bling, you'd better be living in Seattle or Anchorage, otherwise resign yourself to being blinded half the day long.

Speaking of the infotainment, the gauge cluster and infotainment screens are quite pleasant. Visually, I'd say they look more sophisticated than MBUX. MBUX reminds me of teen demo-scene UIs from the 1990s, too many attempts to look like shiny chrome instead of a 21st century computer. iDrive, on the other hand, is restrained and sophisticated in its palette. They both feel excellent and responsive to actually use, but iDrive is designed for sober Germans while MBUX has tasteless rich kids from Dubai in mind.

(Let us not speak of the RPM gauge that runs backwards to save space. Let us just... not.)

ACTUALLY DRIVING: the 50i

When I started the xDrive 50i (with the V8 engine), I actually turned to the sales guy and asked him if something was horribly wrong. It sounded like a tin bucket full of bolts being shaken. I couldn't believe the combination of engine and exhaust note. There is absolutely no way I would tolerate this noise. I still drove the damn thing, but as you'll see, I'd steer well clear of it.

I would describe the drive as lurchy, as if you had a smaller engine in sport mode and didn't realise it. In city driving, it was very difficult to get smooth accelerations out of the car. Also, because the front of the vehicle is incredibly well sound insulated but the engine is very noisy, it sounds weirdly like a mid-engine car: all the sound seems to come from the back! On the freeway, there was an obscene amount of power, but the air suspension kept body roll muted when taking bends at speed.

So if you don't mind a V8 that sounds like absolute garbage, and you need to pass people a lot, this could be the model for you.

ACTUALLY DRIVING: the 40i

Okay, this was more like it. Unlike the V8, the inline 6 doesn't make you think about the engine at all. I could barely hear it, even when zipping past yet another Prius on the freeway. It picked up and accelerated nicely, but is palpably less powerful than the GLS 450. Turn radius and handling were also less impressive than the 450. Sport mode is harsher in the 40i than the 450, if that's your thing.

In fact, speaking of harsh, the X7 just doesn't have as refined a ride as the 450. You feel more bumps. The difference isn't big, but it's there.

SUMMARY

I left my test drive feeling that the X7 is a very good luxury SUV. I don't think you'd be sad if you got one instead of a GLS. There's not much between the two, but I did find myself preferring the GLS for its small advantages in ride quality and power.

Wolfman 10-06-2019 12:48 AM

Couple of thoughts...
The experience with these cars always depends on the configuration of each model. My biggest letdown on the GLS is the interior quality and lack of luxury. This made me take another look at the X7 and I am in the process of configuring both to see which one I like better.

The X7 drives worse or better than the GLS450 with std. Air suspension. Can't talk about E-active yet. Why worse or better? Without any options, the X7 is a wobbly affair but with the Dynamic Handling package you get active camera-based dynamic dampening. Think of poor man's MBC of the S-Class. Plus Rear-Wheel steering. X7 with that package is better than the GLS.
Also, in terms of leather, if getting the full merino leather option, it is S-Class level. Upper, lower dash nappa leather, all door panel top and bottom covered with nappa, special cross-stitching on seats. Alcantara headliner. I personally feel the exclusive nappa leather on the S-Class is of much better quality but in terms of coverage, it's all there. Even like the glass controls. Fully equal to an upgraded 7 series.
The captain chairs on the X7 are quite a bit nicer than the GLS. More contoured, better made, better armrests. More like the MB's executive rear seat package. Too bad that is not available on captain chairs.

Third row on both are somewhat ok with more headroom on the GLS but I think you overlooked that the headrests on the GLS have to be pulled out for the seat to be usable...

bos31337 10-06-2019 12:57 AM

I have kids and a dog, so I don’t mind the slightly lower luxury spec. When I think merino or Napa leather, my mind’s eye pictures claws and shoe heels ripping right through it on day two 😱

There’s no doubt you can spec the X7 competitively and at a slightly lower price point than the GLS. I’ll stick with my GLS order anyway, but I will be interested to hear which way you jump!

Originally Posted by Wolfman (Post 7871250)
Couple of thoughts...
The experience with these cars always depends on the configuration of each model. My biggest letdown on the GLS is the interior quality and lack of luxury. This made me take another look at the X7 and I am in the process of configuring both to see which one I like better.

The X7 drives worse or better than the GLS450 with std. Air suspension. Can't talk about E-active yet. Why worse or better? Without any options, the X7 is a wobbly affair but with the Dynamic Handling package you get active camera-based dynamic dampening. Think of poor man's MBC of the S-Class. Plus Rear-Wheel steering. X7 with that package is better than the GLS.
Also, in terms of leather, if getting the full merino leather option, it is S-Class level. Upper, lower dash nappa leather, all door panel top and bottom covered with nappa, special cross-stitching on seats. Alcantara headliner. I personally feel the exclusive nappa leather on the S-Class is of much better quality but in terms of coverage, it's all there. Even like the glass controls. Fully equal to an upgraded 7 series.
The captain chairs on the X7 are quite a bit nicer than the GLS. More contoured, better made, better armrests. More like the MB's executive rear seat package. Too bad that is not available on captain chairs.

Third row on both are somewhat ok with more headroom on the GLS but I think you overlooked that the headrests on the GLS have to be pulled out for the seat to be usable...

Wolfman 10-06-2019 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by bos31337 (Post 7871258)
I have kids and a dog, so I don’t mind the slightly lower luxury spec. When I think merino or Napa leather, my mind’s eye pictures claws and shoe heels ripping right through it on day two ��

There’s no doubt you can spec the X7 competitively and at a slightly lower price point than the GLS. I’ll stick with my GLS order anyway, but I will be interested to hear which way you jump!

That makes perfect sense. Nappa leather is very delicate and I can see this easily damaged. I am sucker for nice interiors and struggle with the lack of choices. Personally I don't care very much for the X7 from the exterior design and prefer the GLS.

We have a configured order for the GLS and spec'd a X7. Both are in their lower to mid-nineties. The X7 is more expensive as configured but the lease will be about the same. BMW has a lower MF (3.1 vs 4.3 in %) but 1% lower residual.

swenzi 10-06-2019 10:17 AM

Thanks for the detailed review and comparison. I am sorta in the same boat as Wolfman in trying to decide between X7 and GLS, it would come down to the trade off between interior quality vs driving comfort. Note the M50i X7 that just came out would have even more insane power than the X50i so if you are into that.

jbattan 10-06-2019 12:37 PM

My GL has Exclusive Nappa leather, and after 90,000 miles with two dogs and a busload of kids, it is in great shape.

Wolfman 10-06-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by swenzi (Post 7871419)
Thanks for the detailed review and comparison. I am sorta in the same boat as Wolfman in trying to decide between X7 and GLS, it would come down to the trade off between interior quality vs driving comfort. Note the M50i X7 that just came out would have even more insane power than the X50i so if you are into that.

One other aspect to the deal are the discounts. The GLS is quite new so many won't see great discounts. BMW would be 10-12% off before incentives on a 2019, 8% or so on a 2020.
The M50 is great. My personal preference is still the 580 but the same issues/restrictions apply as the 450 and availability is worse. Ideally the best choice is to wait another 9-12 months ...

JoeMa 10-23-2019 08:30 AM

JoeMa 10-23-2019 08:40 AM

I personally think the 2020 GLS is a very nice looking SUV and has made a huge jump forward in terms of tech. I will most certainly test drive a 580 when they finally get around to building them. As for our X7, it's been a wonderful vehicle so far and I'm delighted with the tech it offers. Ours has the laser lights which look incredible at night. And the handling and braking are top notch. We get lots of nice comments from passers-by since there are so few of them on the roads in our area. To bad MB is still forcing owners to buy a V8 (580) to get the nicer-looking AMG styling. BMW offers their M Sport package on both the 40i and 50i models, smarter marketing IMO. We own the V8 but the inline six is all most would ever need and if we buy another X7 in the future, I'd opt for the 40i next time.

bkdc 10-23-2019 10:45 AM

It's cool to see how different people gauge cars. I know that both cars will perform adequately and a nice luxury interior is great, but my #1 criterion has to do with ease of mechanical service and reliability in the 50K to 150K range as I tend to keep my cars longer (no lease) and I perform my own service. In the past decade, Mercedes has spanked BMW in this area as BMWs are intentionally designed to be difficult to service (maybe to drum up business for their service centers) and seem to develop mechanical problems earlier or need replacement of non-wear parts very early. Under the hood, Mercedes parts are of higher quality. WTF BMW. Why is there no dedicated coolant drain at the radiator? Are you too cheap to design one in??? Right now, my hesitation with two new models is with newer drivetrains and parts. The new Mercedes inline 6 versus the new B58 BMW inline 6. The BMW has the slightly longer track record. From recent reports, BMW's cheapo water pumps are still failing early on the latest vehicles.

JoeMa 10-23-2019 06:06 PM

Just priced out a loaded 2020 GLS 450, only $106,500. Our X7 50i is fully loaded and MSRP's for the same amount. A loaded 580 is going to be pricy.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e5702c7e7e.png

JoeMa 10-23-2019 06:09 PM

This guy just took delivery on a 2020 X7 M 50i, looks good in Phytonic Blue. MSRP $115,245

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...de4f5068b2.png

BlownV8 10-25-2019 07:18 PM

Not a BMW fan but the X7 looks so much better than the new Chevy Equinox.....er, I mean GLS. Should be labeled the GLC+.

TeutonicCarFan 10-27-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7885182)
This guy just took delivery on a 2020 X7 M 50i, looks good in Phytonic Blue. MSRP $115,245

My guess is tanzanite blue II metallic?

carpersn 10-28-2019 03:16 PM

Beautiful X7, and i like the blue. I wonder why they don't offer a darker blue, since they have two...

bonboon 10-29-2019 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by carpersn (Post 7888735)
Beautiful X7, and i like the blue. I wonder why they don't offer a darker blue, since they have two...

carbon black also

gatordent2007 10-30-2019 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by bonboon (Post 7889477)
carbon black also

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...df0a13fb1.jpeg
Carbon black 😎

radeonboy 10-31-2019 07:52 PM

Finally got to see the GLS 450 in person last night with the AMG-Line package (not sure why they don't offer this combo in the US). The exterior design felt uninspired reminiscent of a GM product, however the interior and tech is a big step up from the previous generation.

Between the X7 and GLS this generation, I prefer the overall styling of the X7 as it seems BMW put in a bit more effort in making sure they got their large SUV right by incorporating a few design elements from their 7-Series (taillight shape, side 'hockey stick' vent, and that grille :D). Other nice extras such as the 3rd-row sunroof are also welcomed especially coming from a 09 GL which has the same feature.

I actually ended up ordering a X7 which is due to arrive soon (Carbon Black, M-Sport). Honestly both options are a huge upgrade and solid choices in the segment.

JoeMa 11-01-2019 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan (Post 7887815)
My guess is tanzanite blue II metallic?

The pic I posted is Phytonic Blue, Tanzanite Blue II is darker. Carbon Black (as shown above) is a very very dark blue so BMW has blue covered.

univ0298 11-04-2019 10:33 PM

Stat heavy comparison video

The two cars compared by numbers ...

Pachole 11-05-2019 04:44 AM

Here is a good one!

JoeMa 11-15-2019 09:00 AM

GLS 580 review (short but a nice looking GLS):

bonboon 11-15-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa (Post 7903473)
GLS 580 review (short but a nice looking GLS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfAqghPLuA

I saw a 450 in the flesh today and I was amazed at how much bigger they made behind third row cargo.

Walt166 11-16-2019 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pachole (Post 7894898)

This review is so so pitch sale from MB salesman. I completely disagree with a guy saying about disadvantage of 2 piece tailgate. I own gls450. I go to grocery store, do shopping and put them in a trunk. When I open the trunk they mostly fall down, has not happened to you? 2 piece tailgate is brilliant. You can use it as a seat to enjoy the view while parked.
Lastly you can pay for any kind of review but this one got me when the guy told: the one we sell (mb) Haha
Test drived both and went with new x7 m50i with 12% off msrp including all incentives for 2020 model. Good bye MB with your $1000 discount (sunny day) on $120k vehicle which by the way is still not available so you are buying it based on reviews and photo. Just hope they are not all paid be MB like this one.
Just my 2 cents

Pachole 11-17-2019 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Walt166 (Post 7904839)
This review is so so pitch sale from MB salesman. I completely disagree with a guy saying about disadvantage of 2 piece tailgate. I own gls450. I go to grocery store, do shopping and put them in a trunk. When I open the trunk they mostly fall down, has not happened to you? 2 piece tailgate is brilliant. You can use it as a seat to enjoy the view while parked.
Lastly you can pay for any kind of review but this one got me when the guy told: the one we sell (mb) Haha
Test drived both and went with new x7 m50i with 12% off msrp including all incentives for 2020 model. Good bye MB with your $1000 discount (sunny day) on $120k vehicle which by the way is still not available so you are buying it based on reviews and photo. Just hope they are not all paid be MB like this one.
Just my 2 cents

Well maybe it is, but I think he lifts up good points and I agree with most of them.

About grocery shopping I use the MB basket that comes with the car if I place them in the trunk and it’s plastic bags. In Sweden it’s not okay to use plastic we even get a tax fee of 50 cent per plastic bag, starts at 1 of January 2020... So often I use paper bags that are rectangular and stands up much better. So no issue for me to buy a car with split tailgate there.

I hope you get your car soon and you will be happy with it!
They are both really nice luxury vehicles and we are lucky people that can afford to buy them!

The only downside I see in the GLS is those awful plastics down on the doors. Not S-class at all, but suv...

X7 interior trims are much nicer!

Funny that you get 12% of of the X7, I got 6% of a X7 but 12% of the Benz. But it’s in Sweden...

GLS400d has arrived here, but MB Sweden has not approved them to be test driven yet... Hopefully soon!

Hope the handling of the x167 is better then x166 and a lot better then the X7. I think x166 is better then the X7, that surprised me with really bad handling, even the bmw salespersons said that, they were disappointed.

Cheers from Sweden