GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Test drive review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2019 | 07:08 PM

Merc one day I hope
Test drive review

Had the chance to test drive one for 15 minutes today. Zero options GLS 450, I think it was $76K sticker. So really just evaluating the base vehicle.

1. MBUX is great ... So many nice features, and so easy to control from the wheel, touch pad, and screen. Hey Mercedes is as annoyingly hit/miss as any voice recognition systems out there. Only slight criticism was that I struggled to get the dash visible behind the wheel.. but that's a driving position preference thing and there's plenty of adjustability of seat and wheel

2. Really nice quiet and smooth ride.... Didn't get chance to really evaluate how smooth as the drive was pretty smooth anyway, but it seemed really nice, especially in front seats. Quietness was impressive

3. Decent performance... Pickup was good throughout the range.. I think the vast majority of drivers will be more than happy with this much power in this sort of car. Significantly better than my Infiniti JX35. Nice and subtle engine cut off at stops. I didn't get chance to try Sport mode or anything other than comfort (I should have but forgot)

4. Blind spot indicator (red in mirror... beep if you turn on turn signal) works as well as it should

5. General feel was not "I'm driving a huge SUV" ... more just like a substantial saloon, than a minibus

6. Drivers seat is really adjustable, up to a super high truck style position

7. I was happy that the second row is adjustable, but really a bit disappointed that the second row seats couldn't go further forward. At their furthest forward position, the first and second row still have PLENTY of room, but the third row was pretty tough for my legs unless the second row had the seat back more vertical than most would want. I am trying to make sure I can cover three rows of 6 foot (or more) and this limits what the third row can offer. Probably be ok for young adults though, and for second row passengers that are prepared to sit more upright. If I remember correctly the current GLS doesn't have an adjustable second row at all, which seems frankly stupid in a car this size, so at least it's an improvement

8. Don't get this without the panoramic sunroof. The back is much nicer with that (I have sat in one with that, before I was driven around today in one that doesn't have it).

9. Aside from the MBUX, there isn't that much in the interior that is really feeling "S-class" or any other such super high end. It's all very nice, but I hope the upgrade options on interior and exterior will pop compared to the base, for those that want and are willing to pay for that

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I'm interested to know what others have experienced with any test drives
The following 2 users liked this post by univ0298:
bos31337 (10-05-2019), wyatt88 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019 | 07:10 PM

Merc one day I hope
One more point... the seats were really excellent for comfort
The following users liked this post:
bos31337 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-05-2019 | 11:12 PM

G
I drove a 450 today too. It was a sub-base one that my dealer uses for demos, lacking some standard features because of the supplier issues that have been plaguing MB this year.

I spent the first part of the drive in the third row, because I’m six feet tall and wanted to see how that would be. It was a little cramped but basically okay, in part because the captain’s seats gave one of my legs some freedom. Headroom in the third row is also tight but manageable. I’d definitely think twice about the usability of the third row if you have any passengers much taller than 6 feet.

One really bad thing about the third row: the bottom of the headrest sticks way out and rubs between my shoulder blades. This was the one piece of physical design that I think is 100% idiotic.

Driving was very quiet and pleasant, and the suspension did well on San Francisco’s crappy pothole-filled roads. The turning radius is also very good, easily making a U-turn. I’d frankly get rear-wheel steering if it was an option even so

On the freeway, there was plenty of power, and the sport mode tightened everything up pleasantly.

I found MBUX voice control to be as hit-or-miss as you did, and the augmented reality turn directions were cute but a gimmick. The car also forgot it was supposed to be giving directions when I deliberately went off-route. Oops, I guess?

One surprise: the rear view camera makes an impressive amount of noise when it emerges from its little hidey hole.

I also agree with the recommendation of the pano sunroof. The demo vehicle didn’t have it, and being in the back was a bit like sitting in a cave.

The build quality inside is very nice, about on par with an E-class, but nowhere near as plush as an S-class. I kind of don’t care, but if you’re looking for Brabus levels of insanity-ward padding, this ain’t your baby.

Overall, with the exception of the slightly tight third row and the stupidest headrests in the history of headrests back there, I really liked the car, and look forward to getting mine. I double-checked this by testing a BMW X7 today, and the GLS beats it by a small margin in my estimation.
Old 10-05-2019 | 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by bos31337
One really bad thing about the third row: the bottom of the headrest sticks way out and rubs between my shoulder blades. This was the one piece of physical design that I think is 100% idiotic.
The headrest of the 3rd row are flush with the seat. Sounds like you didn't pull the headrest upwards before leaning back. That would be incredibly uncomfortable. I suggest to try again with the headrests up. Should go much better
Old 10-06-2019 | 12:48 AM

G
The headrests weren’t in their lowered positions, but they noticeably jutted out in front of the seats. I definitely hope I had them adjusted incorrectly, as I was genuinely baffled by how uncomfortable they were!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
The headrest of the 3rd row are flush with the seat. Sounds like you didn't pull the headrest upwards before leaning back. That would be incredibly uncomfortable. I suggest to try again with the headrests up. Should go much better
Old 10-06-2019 | 12:52 AM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The headrests weren’t in their lowered positions, but they noticeably jutted out in front of the seats. I definitely hope I had them adjusted incorrectly, as I was genuinely baffled by how uncomfortable they were!
They are flush with the seat when fully extended but they flex a little. Either way I think the third row is for kids or emergency but not full adult seating for trips

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-06-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2019 | 08:38 AM

Merc one day I hope
I slid the third row headrest up to max height , and still found it uncomfortable. It is a really tall headrest and extends down into the shoulders too much on a tall person (I’m 6 foot).

we don’t plan to use the third row too much, but one of the reasons we are looking at the GLS is that it’s so large, that we want (and expect) the third row to be really great compared to competitors or a much cheaper three row GLE
Old 10-07-2019 | 10:45 PM
mbn

none
just test drove the GLS and I agree the 3rd row headrests are springy and tend to push forward. What did you think of the leather quality of the seats, I found the leather to be hard and not of great quality?
Old 10-08-2019 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by mbn
just test drove the GLS and I agree the 3rd row headrests are springy and tend to push forward. What did you think of the leather quality of the seats, I found the leather to be hard and not of great quality?
Did you test one with full leather or the standard MB Tex? MB Tex is hard but very durable.
Old 10-08-2019 | 11:48 AM

Merc one day I hope
This is how those third row headsets behave. I tried them again and they are really pretty stupid in my opinion, but I don’t see a better alternative car so shrug
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (3.74 MB, 154 views)
Old 10-08-2019 | 11:50 AM

Merc one day I hope
I should have emphasized that it takes quite a lot of pressure to push them in like that. As you lean back against them, depending on your height, it’s likely that this will be pushing against your shoulder blades pretty uncomfortably, but some may not mind it I guess
Old 10-13-2019 | 06:32 AM

2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by thenew3
Did you test one with full leather or the standard MB Tex? MB Tex is hard but very durable.
I was actually impressed with the MB-Tex in the 2020 GLE. Not too bad for texture and softness, and doesn't require killing animals.

Note that there are four kinds of leather MB offer: "Leather", Nappa, Exclusive Nappa, and Semi-Aniline.
Old 10-13-2019 | 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
MB should offer more color options in the exclusive Nappa leather instead of just one. This time they didn't even offer an all black exclusive Nappa option. I have seen option choices get less and less with MB over the years.
Old 10-13-2019 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Upholstery choices

Originally Posted by sam9187
MB should offer more color options in the exclusive Nappa leather instead of just one. This time they didn't even offer an all black exclusive Nappa option. I have seen option choices get less and less with MB over the years.
Agreed. Saddle tan or some variation is a must in my book.
Old 10-13-2019 | 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Upholster choices

Originally Posted by sam9187
Here is an option in the forthcoming GLE Coupe:

The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
bos31337 (10-13-2019), marchgroupinc (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019 | 10:31 PM

2016 S550
I drove a 450 today too. It was a sub-base one that my dealer uses for demos, lacking some standard features because of the supplier issues that have been plaguing MB this year.

I spent the first part of the drive in the third row, because I’m six feet tall and wanted to see how that would be. It was a little cramped but basically okay, in part because the captain’s seats gave one of my legs some freedom. Headroom in the third row is also tight but manageable. I’d definitely think twice about the usability of the third row if you have any passengers much taller than 6 feet.

Driving was very quiet and pleasant, and the suspension did well on San Francisco’s crappy pothole-filled roads. The turning radius is also very good, easily making a U-turn. I’d frankly get rear-wheel steering if it was an option even so

On the freeway, there was plenty of power, and the sport mode tightened everything up pleasantly.

I found MBUX voice control to be as hit-or-miss as you did, and the augmented reality turn directions were cute but a gimmick. The car also forgot it was supposed to be giving directions when I deliberately went off-route. Oops, I guess?

One surprise: the rear view camera makes an impressive amount of noise when it emerges from its little hidey hole.

I also agree with the recommendation of the pano sunroof. The demo vehicle didn’t have it, and being in the back was a bit like sitting in a cave.

The build quality inside is very nice, about on par with an E-class, but nowhere near as plush as an S-class. I kind of don’t care, but if you’re looking for Brabus levels of insanity-ward padding, this ain’t your baby.

Overall, with the exception of the slightly tight third row and the stupidest headrests in the history of headrests back there, I really liked the car, and look forward to getting mine. I double-checked this by testing a BMW X7 today, and the GLS beats it by a small margin in my estimation.
What made you give it the nod over the x7 then? I’m curious as I considered waiting and ordering a gls 580 as I found our previous gl to be a solid family suv. Ultimately I chose an x7 M50i after being really underwhelmed by the styling of this new model. I felt like the x7 was much closer to a 7 series in terms of luxury than the gls compared to the sclass. (I’ve had an sclass and a 7 series). I’m younger and prefer a really sporty feel to my suv and felt bmw did a much better job here.
Old 10-17-2019 | 10:52 AM

--
Originally Posted by gatordent2007
What made you give it the nod over the x7 then? I’m curious as I considered waiting and ordering a gls 580 as I found our previous gl to be a solid family suv. Ultimately I chose an x7 M50i after being really underwhelmed by the styling of this new model. I felt like the x7 was much closer to a 7 series in terms of luxury than the gls compared to the sclass. (I’ve had an sclass and a 7 series). I’m younger and prefer a really sporty feel to my suv and felt bmw did a much better job here.
im with you on all that but I’d say that after tossing around the x7 as sported up as you can buy one, I think the 580 gls comparably equipped will be capable of being a sportier drive. just basing this on my experiences with 550 of last gen and assuming even a modest improvement of handling
Old 10-18-2019 | 03:17 AM

2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I’ve test driven the X7 a couple times now and unless it’s missing some performance option, it’s the most wallowing ride ever and shows how far BMW has drifted away from their sporty handling past.
The following 2 users liked this post by jbattan:
bos31337 (10-19-2019), Pachole (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019 | 11:05 PM

2016 S550
Originally Posted by jbattan
I’ve test driven the X7 a couple times now and unless it’s missing some performance option, it’s the most wallowing ride ever and shows how far BMW has drifted away from their sporty handling past.
mine is an M50i version of the x7 and put in sport mode drives like a high performance sedan to me at least. Honestly, it’s almost too sporty at times. I think any of these cars in base configuration are not going to drive that great or feel very impressive