GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Windshield wiper force

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 03:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLS
Windshield wiper force

Does anyone have a problem with their (non magic vision) windshield wipers bumping across the windshield? My car has 700 miles on it and I've only driven it in rain 3-4 times thus far. Each time it rains I get the same problem. The wiper blades are obviously brand new. It seems that there might be too much downward pressure on the blades as they try to go side to side. Doesn't improve much in heavy rain (maybe a bit better). They clean the windshield well but they appear to get stuck and slide with resistance across the whole windshield (both sides) Is there any adjustment for this or just go back to the dealer?

Thank you
Old 06-03-2020, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E300 Luxury Package 2020 GLS 450
My GLS (without Magic Vision Control) has the same issue in both light an heavy rain. I brought it to the dealer before the lockdown in February and the service techs claimed to have "fixed" it. It was a few weeks before there was rain again and the wipers were still jumping and making an irritating noise. I find it strange that Mercedes has let a basic issue like this arise in the "S-class of SUVs". I have had no issue with wipers in my E-class so the fact that a brand new model has this issue is confusing to me since Mercedes does not have this issue in its other vehicles. If it makes any difference, I purchased the windshield warranty that came with a water resistant coating. Perhaps that could have a role in the issue? My car has roughly 2500 miles on it and has had this issue since new.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 Chevy SS, 2018 GLA250, 2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by Bayern
Does anyone have a problem with their (non magic vision) windshield wipers bumping across the windshield? My car has 700 miles on it and I've only driven it in rain 3-4 times thus far. Each time it rains I get the same problem. The wiper blades are obviously brand new. It seems that there might be too much downward pressure on the blades as they try to go side to side. Doesn't improve much in heavy rain (maybe a bit better). They clean the windshield well but they appear to get stuck and slide with resistance across the whole windshield (both sides) Is there any adjustment for this or just go back to the dealer?

Thank you
Your description makes it seems like you've rode in my car because it sounds that familiar. The only thing I'd add is that for me I also had "slapping" at highway speeds in heavy rain (auto wipers on) where the driver wiper blade seemed to travel outside of the windshield area near the top at max range.

I'm at almost 2300 miles today and I can say that the "chatter" that I think you're describing as bumping has largely smoothed out for me, but the range of motion at high speed still seems to be at least a bit of an issue. I dropped mine off for a couple unrelated issues today and also mentioned this and they are going to check to see if it can be adjusted. I suggested to them that a slightly shorter wiper might cure the problem in hopes that they better understand the problem I'm seeing without having to try to reproduce it in real world conditions.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
New Cowl Photos

The new cowl appears to have a replaceable cover that fits over the nozzle.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLS
Does this improve the wiper function in any way?