GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Towing large loads with a GLS / Configuring a GLS for towing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2021 | 10:34 AM

2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by PhilipHanser
Fair question, we are in New Zealand and have the option to factory install the electric fold down style (all in one, none removable European style). If we do, it comes with “Increased Towing Capacity 557”. This has the 280kg downforce rating.

I can get the MB 50mm hitch style installed by the local dealer (installation is all approved by MB as well). However I am told if this is locally installed, the downforce rating reduces to 140kg. However no one can tell me why this is reduced, I wonder if the extra 557 is the key here ?? In NZ, I cannot order 557 by itself, and I cannot factory order the 50mm hitch style.

In Australia, I notice they can factory order the 50mm hitch, and it comes with 557 and has the 280kg downforce. Which adds to why I wonder if 557 is the key here. Does anyone know what 557 actually does ?

Even though the electric version is really tidy (and actually slightly cheaper), I like the flexibility that the 50mm hitch style offers. But I don’t like the 140kg downforce. I would rather have the higher capacity and accept the fixed bar style, than go with the lower downforce.
Sorry I cannot explain the differences. The best person I know of that I know of who is literally a towing expert and has installed and also modified thousands of Mercedes hitches is Andy Thompson of CANAM RV in London Ontario. He is known to many members of this forum. He may be able to answer your questions and does it this on a regular basis for the Airstream Forum airforums.com and can also be reached at andy@canamrv.ca.
Old 08-01-2021 | 06:00 PM

GL 350
Personally, I would stay away from anything coming from that shop. As the name suggests, it's an RV shop and not an engineering firm, and the owner is not an auto engineer. Even if he was, he has no idea what went into the design, development, and testing of all the vehicles he talks about (Thats proprietary information and not available to public). He does not know what is the weakest link of all the vehicles that he talks about. Furthermore, he seems to confuse handing ability with towing ability. These are two independent attributes. One does not imply the other. There are vehicles that handle great but are poor tow vehicles. Alternatively, there are vehicles that tow great but handle poorly. To suggest a tow vehicle should be selected based on handling ability is like suggesting a tow vehicle should be selected based on quality of its sound system. Neither mean anything. They have a vocal fanbase, but I have yet to see an independent review of their work (hitch reinforcement, weight distribution setup, etc). I find it hard to believe that minor change to a sedan can turn it into a towing beast, but some people certainly do.