GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Stone-guard - is it worth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 450
Stone-guard - is it worth

Friends, my GLS is almost there at the dealership. I need some advice on Stone guard on the hood and fenders and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give,

1) Is it worth it and does it really protect from stone chips?
2) is it enough to cover only the front portion (18-20 inches) or the entire hood?
3) Does the 3M film come off after few years or fade? has anyone seen colour share difference once the film fades?
4) My dealer has quoted 950$ Canadian + tax for the entire hood and 500$ for just the front portion. is it reasonable? Is it worth getting aftermarket or is the dealership preferred?
5) Did anyone get this film applied to their new GLS? what is your take?

and also any feedback on ceramic tinted windows? is that worth it? Any feedback?
Thank you, friends...

Last edited by mb_can; 07-29-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 Chevy SS, 2018 GLA250, 2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by mb_can
Friends, my GLS is almost there at the dealership. I need some advice on Stone guard on the hood and fenders and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give,

2) is it enough to cover only the front portion (18-20 inches) or the entire hood?
3) Does the 3M film come off after few years or fade? has anyone seen colour share difference once the film fades?
4) My dealer has quoted 950$ Canadian + tax for the entire hood and 500$ for just the front portion. is it reasonable? Is it worth getting aftermarket or is dealership preferred?

Thank you, friends...
I'll do my best, but I don't have the longevity data you're wanting, I think...
1) I have a 2017 SS that is wrapped entirely in PPF. It is not a daily driver (currently at ~1,700 miles), but there is one mark on the front bumper where I can tell something of decent size hit. From what I can tell the paint is fine underneath. For me this is a win. My GLS has PPF on bumper, hoood, fenders, door cups, and rear load sill. In ~4k miles there is evidence of one chip avoided. For me, getting the front end wrapped is a must if keeping the car more than a few years. I had my previous daily driver for 7+ years and in that time I paid 1k+ twice to have the bumper repainted. On this vehicle, even if I have to replace a single panel of film a year I'll still come out ahead as long as I keep the car 3+ years.
2) My entire hood is covered, but I don't have any data point for you here since this is my first SUV. I think I recall someone here mentioning in a thread that rock chips on the hood are still a big deal even in an SUV.
3) I used the same installer for my SS and GLS. The film used comes with a 10 year warranty against peeling and fading. My SS still looks perfect after a little more than 2.5 years, but it's garaged and not a daily driver. My GLS wasn't garaged for the first 2.5 months, but now it is. I have high confidence that this won't be an issue for a garage kept car, but even if it is, the warranty will cover it. Main point here is that you should choose an installer that has been around for a long time.
4) Canada and your particular area may be a little different, but here in South Florida, my fear with using a dealership is that they farm the work out to whoever they work with at the time. I personally would prefer to work directly with the installer and be able to talk to them. It's possible the dealer has been working with a particular installer for a long time, but you'd need to confirm that. My dealer offered to have it done for me before delivery, but a red flag for me was them describing having just come from a workshop demo of the product, meaning it was likely a new relationship they recently formed. Is the quote you received literally just for the hood or for the bumper and hood? If bumper and hood that sounds reasonable, but I'd have to double check the line items on my receipt.
5) In addition to the film coverage on my GLS mentioned in (1), I also did ceramic coating on top of the film, plus all paint and trim not covered by film as well as the interior. I'm completely happy with it so far and I'll probably get the damaged front bumper piece replaced at the end of this year or early next year. Not a huge priority because I rarely go anywhere with this pandemic going on, so there isn't much risk of taking damage directly in the small compromised area.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by mb_can

4) My dealer has quoted 950$ Canadian + tax for the entire hood and 500$ for just the front portion. is it reasonable? Is it worth getting aftermarket or is the dealership preferred?

and also any feedback on ceramic tinted windows? is that worth it? Any feedback?
Thank you, friends...
I got my 2020 GLS PPF-ed about a month ago.
entire front bumper, full hood, both fenders in full and both mirrors and Distronic sensor in the grille.
basically almost everything you can see if you're staring the car from the front.

I do wish that I covered the A-pillars as well, then it would be full frontal protection.

the edges of the film is wrapped around and tucked under. so if you look at the vehicle, you can't even tell that it's wrapped.
it's my daily driver and so far the PPF has been rock solid.
very happy with the work. I'm in Northern Virginia and this job costed me $2500.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - I haven't heard of anyone recently using 3M film - kindof old hat - the most oft used film is XPel.

Most installers use a computer cutting pattern to "cut" the film that gets fitted up to each area - and you are best served with a Installer who has Experience - since PPF film doesn't "stretch much" so so proper fitting is a Skill rather than DIY.

Film does not discolor - the areas of protection you pick based on what chips/road-rash you have experienced with the earlier cars/SUV's you have owned - I would also suggest for a 2020 that you have front and rear "rocker" protection put in behind the wheels
The following users liked this post:
madkow70 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2019 s-class coupe 2018 GLE 350 SUV2017 S-class cabriolet
I have been using xpel since 2003 on 3 different Lexus" and 3 M-B's (S-Coupe, Cabriolet and GLE),.
I always have hood,front fenders, lower air dam, side mirrors and door handle detents.
In 17 years I have had rocks chip the material but never penetrate to the paint.
Would never have a car without it.
I have the dealer do mine prior to delivery so the paint us pristine.
Ron

The following 2 users liked this post by ron104:
hyperion667 (07-30-2020), madkow70 (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
I have a 2020 GLS580 and have partially installed it myself using 3MPRO. I did not make the hood perfect as it requires a lot of stretching so I had a professional reinstall it - funny it is Xpel and there seems to be no difference to 3MPRO.3M PRO claims to be self healing and all the similar properties as Xpel. Not the same as the old 3M. Brands may all be similar with same specs ie. thickness, layers and self healing properties. I have used 3M on many cars and the newer stuff seems better. You will get yellowing of the film on white cars only. The important thing is to have a professional do it and request "WRAP" procedure and if you do that with the full hood you wont see any lines. If you keep your cars 5 years or less go with the dealer.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 450
Originally Posted by madkow70
I got my 2020 GLS PPF-ed about a month ago.
entire front bumper, full hood, both fenders in full and both mirrors and Distronic sensor in the grille.
basically almost everything you can see if you're staring the car from the front.

I do wish that I covered the A-pillars as well, then it would be full frontal protection.

the edges of the film is wrapped around and tucked under. so if you look at the vehicle, you can't even tell that it's wrapped.
it's my daily driver and so far the PPF has been rock solid.
very happy with the work. I'm in Northern Virginia and this job costed me $2500.
Thank you for your detailed answer.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
I don't have a GLS, but I wish like hell I would have considered something like this for my car 8 years ago!
Old 07-31-2020, 04:36 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS 2020
Xpel

I have had my whole car done in Xpel.
I had to travel down a country gravel road for 40k last week for work. Washed up really nice, no chips or scratches.
I went for Xpel stealth to change the look as well. Very happy with the results.

The following 3 users liked this post by kiwioz:
hyperion667 (07-31-2020), mefferso (08-01-2020), places (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by kiwioz
I had to travel down a country gravel road for 40k last week for work. Washed up really nice, no chips or scratches.
I went for Xpel stealth to change the look as well. Very happy with the results.

Great pictures.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:10 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by kiwioz

That looks awesome. How much did a wrap like this run you?
Old 08-01-2020, 02:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS 2020
Originally Posted by SEPicks
That looks awesome. How much did a wrap like this run you?
About 8k for the Wrap without the chrome delete.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Lease or buy? If leasing I wouldn't spend too much.