GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Slippery on rain, Negative Camber and tire damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 06:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL 450
Exclamation Slippery on rain, Negative Camber and tire damage

Hello Guys, I purchased this GLS450 2018 Used last year. I noticed the rear original tires had almost no thread comparing to the front ones and decided to get new tries and wheels.
The wheels are AMG Replicas that I used before on another vehicle and had no problems. The tires I used are Bridgestone Dueler Alenza ( the ones that comes OEM on Suburbans and escalades )
these tires have INCREDIBLE tradewear and should last 50K+
after only 4k on these tires, i drove the vehicle this weekend ( it's my wife's car) and the car slipped / skipped seriously on rain at very low speeds ( 45, 50 ) to the point we had to get out of the highway. very scary!
I supposed the tires were still new, but for my surprise they were eaten on the inside only on the rear end. The front ones still look new. I also noticed that one side's camber looks more inclined than the other side!
My next step will be getting a new set of rear tires and have it aligned. What do you suggest? do you think my bigger wheels ( from OEM 20 to Aftermarket 22 ) could have caused the wrong camber, or does it seems like it has a suspension defect? sounds like a warranty issue?
should Mercedes do the 4 wheel alignment ( extremely overpriced ) or my tire shop can do?
Thanks for the inputs!

This side looks angled

This side looks straight

Front tires like new

Rear tires (only 4k miles ) very wear

The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by djfredmiami
Hello Guys, I purchased this GLS450 2018 Used last year. I noticed the rear original tires had almost no thread comparing to the front ones and decided to get new tries and wheels.
The wheels are AMG Replicas that I used before on another vehicle and had no problems. The tires I used are Bridgestone Dueler Alenza ( the ones that comes OEM on Suburbans and escalades )
these tires have INCREDIBLE tradewear and should last 50K+
after only 4k on these tires, i drove the vehicle this weekend ( it's my wife's car) and the car slipped / skipped seriously on rain at very low speeds ( 45, 50 ) to the point we had to get out of the highway. very scary!
I supposed the tires were still new, but for my surprise they were eaten on the inside only on the rear end. The front ones still look new. I also noticed that one side's camber looks more inclined than the other side!
My next step will be getting a new set of rear tires and have it aligned. What do you suggest? do you think my bigger wheels ( from OEM 20 to Aftermarket 22 ) could have caused the wrong camber, or does it seems like it has a suspension defect? sounds like a warranty issue?
should Mercedes do the 4 wheel alignment ( extremely overpriced ) or my tire shop can do?
Thanks for the inputs!

This side looks angled

This side looks straight

Front tires like new

Sorry to hear about the tire wear. It is a very common complaint on the GL/GLS.

Your car is an X166, correct? This has been posted in the X167 forum.

22” wheels are part of the problem. Larger diameter wheels with excessive, although OEM spec, rear camber will create more tread wear.

Assist systems like active lane keeping, basic cruse control and Distronic all use the rear brakes and contribute to rear axle tire and brake wear.

Its a crummy arrangement and in my view Mercedes has missed the boat completely on this.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:18 AM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
DO POINT OUT WE SAW THE NEED AND MANUFACTURE BOTH FRONT AND REAR ADJUSTER KITS TO RESOLVE COSTLY, PREMATURE EDGE TIRE WEAR ON ALL SUV MODELS.

For the W166,167 front "upper arm" inner bushings that provide both Camber and Caster up to 1.5 degrees extra Positive or Negative Camber change more than enough to resolve most edge tire wear issues.
Kit #504016-3 K $480
Supplied with bush extraction tool allowing bushes to be changed without need for arm removal or other special tools.

Also front kit #504016 M $595 with the advantage of replacing the 4 "lower arm / highest wearing" bushings at the same time (which OEM are expensive to replace)

This kit also provides up to 1.5 degrees Camber and Caster change. Also supplied with bush extraction tool.

For the Rear suspension Camber (and extra Toe) adjustment to also resolve premature inner edge tire wear. This kit replaces the 4 lower arm inner bushings. Precise single wrench adjustment. Also fit without arm removal. #504026 K $480

DHL delivery Worldwide $40 one kit, $60 front and rear. PayPal, Visa or M/Card.

https://imgur.com/xFJ2hpX
Old 08-07-2020, 07:50 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Welcome to MB!