GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

New 2020 GLS 450 - some questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLS 450
New 2020 GLS 450 - some questions.

Bought our first Mercedes. It’s phenomenal. Other German cars I own/owned are Porsche’s. Very impressed with Mercedes.

We don’t put excessive miles on cars but do generally keep them for a while. Last family car we had for 7 years but would have been longer if it had not gotten totaled.

What’s others opinions on extending the warranty 3additional years? It was $5600 I believe. I generally never do warranties and have always come out ahead. From my research Mercedes are pretty solid cars. It seems like it would take some good repair to add up to more than $5600.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
There’s a thread here with a chart of different options and dealers that sell at reduced price .
I have a 14 GLS 550 that has been awesome and kept longer than I intended. People tell me it looks new. I do have the 7 yr 125k warranty. I have 115k miles and almost at 7 yrs. I put miles on my car up front when my daughter played college sports.

I’m waiting for my 580 build, hopefully December. I intended to sell or gift my car with warranty as an incentive, but unfortunately, the 580 is taking a long time to get.

The few repairs were expensive (turbo, suspension parts). I know I came out ahead, maybe more like the 75k miles mark. If you have the money now, being able to face a free repair is a lot more gratifying and I have been happy with dealer service.

if I didn’t have a warranty I might shop service from several local Independent options. If I didn’t have convenient dealer service available, i might think differently.

I believe you can also get money back on unused warranty if you sell early.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Bought our first Mercedes. It’s phenomenal. Other German cars I own/owned are Porsche’s. Very impressed with Mercedes.

We don’t put excessive miles on cars but do generally keep them for a while. Last family car we had for 7 years but would have been longer if it had not gotten totaled.

What’s others opinions on extending the warranty 3additional years? It was $5600 I believe. I generally never do warranties and have always come out ahead. From my research Mercedes are pretty solid cars. It seems like it would take some good repair to add up to more than $5600.
We've had to do 4 repairs on a 2007 GL and each one cost $3000. If you are planning to keep a Mercedes long-term it is worth getting the warranty.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
'20 GL450 Cardinal Red/Expresso, 991.1 C2S Cab, 991.2 GT3, 971 Panamera 4E-H ST
I also bought a GL450 recently and I'm looking to extend the warranty to 7 years. I also have Porsches, currently have a pair of 911s and a Panamera, sold a 2014 Cayenne Diesel to make space for the GL. I liked my Cayenne... it certainly drove a lot better than the GL, but I needed the additional space. I never bought an extended warranty for the Cayenne (originally 4 yr 50k), but as part of the Dieselgate settlement, they extended my warranty to 6 yr 100k. In the last 6 months before I sold the car, they replaced a PCM unit that crapped out ($4000 part plus labor) and the analog clock on the center of the dash ($700 part plus labor) because the second hand fell off... apparently, they couldn't just open the glass on the clock and stick the second hand back in place, lol.

My only other experience with a new MB, I bought a 2004 E500 (yes, it was a Daimler-Chrysler era car) where the the air suspension crapped out within weeks AFTER the original warranty expired and I didn't have an extended warranty. $2500 repair bill, so I sold it rather than repair it.

So in my experience, it's definitely worth it to get an extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car for awhile.