GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

service reset

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
service reset

Anyone tried accessing service menu and reset the service indicator message?
I've read some threads about how to do it, but was wondering if anyone tried it on X167 yet.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by madkow70
Anyone tried accessing service menu and reset the service indicator message?
I've read some threads about how to do it, but was wondering if anyone tried it on X167 yet.
Service reset - what I found workedHood and doors closed, engine off, vehicle on - push start button foot off brake.
Go to TRIP menu and must be at mileage screen ie total miles and trip miles.
On the steering wheel left side for both buttons Hold the back button for 1 second and immediately hold the track pad down also and hold both for 5 seconds and release
Go back to main menu scroll from TRIP menu left to the WORKSHOP menu
Scroll down to ASSYST Plus and follow directions from there. Start the engine, go to Full Service, then to Confirm Service, Confirm engine oil grade used enter and Confirm service was done.

I don't know what the service numbers mean that come up ie. Service 1 and Service 3 but I just scrolled down and entered service completed. confirmed the oil grade and accepted to reset.
Now it automatically assumes my next service is a B Service after this initial oil change but I plan to do the A service next when it is 1 year old and estimated 15000kms at the dealer. I will ask if they can specify which service A or B at that time will be in the computer for the next service interval. Hope this helps as I tried many methods off the internet before I figured this method worked.
If anyone finds a better or more streamlined way please add your comments.
Also if you know what would happen if you entered at "Service 1" or "Service 3" what that would have done - please comment.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:54 PM

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
First - I recommend generally using the service numbers you see in the cars computer as a reminder instead of as the bible, and instead reading the owners manual for service intervals and then using your own wisdom and keeping track of mileage and dates yourself in deciding which services to actually perform and when. For instance for my GL350, I do the engine oil every six months/5,000 miles, the cabin air filters once a year, the brake fluid every two years, the engine air filters and diesel fuel filter every 20,000 miles, the transmission, differential, transfer case and serpentine belt services every 40,000 miles, and the batteries and coolant every five years - all whether the truck thinks it needs these services or not. If I see a service indicator pop up, it's a good reminder to check whether I've already recently done what the truck thinks it needs - and in all cases the answer to this has been that I have been ahead of it.

Remember the vast vast majority of owners are not wrenchers like you who ever even see these numbers, much less keep track of service schedules from their owners manuals or do the work themselves.

That said, here is what I understand to be the definitions of the Mercedes Service Numbers:
  • Service 1: Minor basic service (Service A)
  • Service 2: Major basic service (Service B)
  • Service 3: Engine oil + filter
  • Service 4: Brake fluid
  • Service 5: Combination filter
  • Service 6: Dust filter (included in Service B)
  • Service 7: Activated charcoal filter
  • Service 8: Air filter
  • Service 9: Tilting/Sliding roof
  • Service 10: Panoramic sliding roof
  • Service 11: fuel filter
  • Service 12: spark plugs
  • Service 13: coolant
  • Service 14: main coolant circuit
  • Service 15: trailer hitch
  • Service 16: parking brake
  • Service 17: emergency call system
  • Service 18: brake algorithm
  • Service 19: diesel particulate filter
  • Service 20: automatic transmission oil and filter
So I think the answer to your question is that if you had cleared service 3, and not service 1, then the truck would think that you still needed to do the other components required by service A.
The following users liked this post:
marchgroupinc (12-15-2020)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
How do I confirm an individual item?
For example, if I want to confirm just 'Service 4' because i've only changed the brake fluid and I don't want to disturb the schedule of the other items, how would I do that?
I've tried going into the ASSYST PLUS menu and pressing 'Service 4' but it doesn't do anything.

(I actually have a W213 E-class, but I came across this thread whilst searching and I'm guessing W213 will be similar to the X167 as they're both similar generations of Mercedes)