2020 GLS 450 turbo linkage rattle (90sec) at cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:29 AM
W P

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS 450
2020 GLS 450 turbo linkage rattle (90sec) at cold start

I am just sharing an ongoing saga with Mercedes regarding my 2020 GLS 450 (mfg date March of 2020).

At cold start there is a very prominent and annoying rattle that lasts for about 90 seconds until the engine comes to operating temperature. I have taken the car into the dealership for this issue multiple times, and even escalated the issue to MB customer care.

Please know that Mercedes says this rattle is normal and can be found on all 2020 GLS 450’s. It is the turbo “linkage” tolerances being engineered so poorly that the linkage rattles until it comes to operating temperature (it expands) and stops rattling. I have had BMW’s, Porsche that had turbos, and non of them rattle in this way at cold start. My hope is that others are as annoyed by this sound as I am and complain to the dealer/Mercedes so that it is ultimately logged and addressed as a service bulletin.

IMO there is no excuse for a 2020 car (turbo or not) to rattle in such a way until it warms up. The car sounds broken and is unbecoming of a $80k to $100k car (mine had an MSRP of $107k) least of all a Mercedes. My hope in posting this is that the more that share the frustration and complain about it, the more likely it will be resolved by Mercedes for current and future vehicles.

I attempted to attach the mov video file.

Last edited by W P; 01-31-2021 at 11:35 AM.