GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

How to keep car smelling nice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS450
How to keep car smelling nice

Hi everyone, I have a weird question but I figured this might be a good place to find some people who might relate or have advice.

I love the new car smell and while I know it fades away, I do everything I can to keep it smelling new. Every now and then, we do takeout and there are times when I have to pick up with my new car. I have been putting the food in one of those insulated reusable grocery bags that snaps shut. For these instances its usually a short drive home and then I air out the car for a bit. For now, there's no eating in the car but eventually we'll have a long road trip and we'll have to eat lunch or something on the road.

My question is, is there anyone who also has this car smell obsession and do you just avoid eating in the car or picking up takeout? I'm wondering if those food delivery bags that zip shut might be a good option for takeout?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I was like you years ago and wanted to maintain that "new car" scent.
Never had food inside the cabin and all food items were in plastic bags in the trunk.
Never opened the windows unless necessary
Etc. etc.

Eventually that scent still faded away and no matter what I did, all my new cars smelled old like any other car.
At what sacrifice? A lot. All those fun times I could have had with the kids eating McDs and fries. Those times when we could have enjoyed the breeze in our faces with open windows driving in the coast.
Those times I will never have again and they are grown up now.

With my new car now, each time I suggest we do a drive through at McDs or KFC, then refuse because it is unhealthy.
They don't even want to open the windows because the wind will ruin their hair.

Enjoy that scent but don't restrict your kids activities and meals just because of a particular smell that you cannot keep longer than a few months.

Last edited by Paxfobiscum; 03-02-2021 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Delta5275 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
interior maintenance

I find with real leather, not MBtex you can keep the new car or mainly leather smell longer if you clean and treat the leather. I vacuum the perforations and crevices of the leather and use Lexol leather conditioner twice a year and when applied put the vehicle in the sun so the conditioner soaks in. The rest of the interior is vacuumed and cleaned with unscented multi purpose cleaner or just a damp rag. I also keep a car duster handy and remove the dust frequently as needed. My 10 year old XLR-V convert still smelled new when I sold it and the top was down frequently.
JPent (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Keep the vehicle clean.

Floor mats and carpets are the main source of odor. Keep them vacuumed and shampoo them every 3 years or so. Replace the floor mats after approx 5 years. It is a marvel how much new floor mats improve the interior smell. Think of all the food and dog doo that is in a floor mat after 5 years.

Wipe down plastic surfaces and seats. Keep them clean.

No cleaning products. Just a microfiber cloth damp with water. Use a cotton cloth for MB-Tex.

It’s easy. Keep the car clean.
JPent (03-02-2021)