GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Fullscreen Carplay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 G63
Fullscreen Carplay?

I'm doing my research on tech - the one thing that seems to ultimately drive me nuts with cars. I had a 2020 G63 which had "old" COMAND, and supported full-screen Apple Carplay, albeit wired. I've found a load of older posts complaining that MBUX puts Carplay in a tiny "sub window", vs being full screen - but nothing recent.

Is this now resolved? Or did everyone just stop caring about the stupidity of a tiny window? :\

I'm working on the basis that all manufacturer nav systems suck compared with Waze, even with the cool AR stuff MBUX now supports, so Carplay is important....
Old 03-24-2021, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS450
Not resolved. One of my biggest complaints about it!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:04 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by alistairg
I'm doing my research on tech - the one thing that seems to ultimately drive me nuts with cars. I had a 2020 G63 which had "old" COMAND, and supported full-screen Apple Carplay, albeit wired. I've found a load of older posts complaining that MBUX puts Carplay in a tiny "sub window", vs being full screen - but nothing recent.

Is this now resolved? Or did everyone just stop caring about the stupidity of a tiny window? :\

I'm working on the basis that all manufacturer nav systems suck compared with Waze, even with the cool AR stuff MBUX now supports, so Carplay is important....
negative. Still not full screen.
another frustrating thing is lack of wireless carplay.
if I have to plug it in to get the carplay working, why do I need the Qi charger in the car???
Old 03-25-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
The only reason its full screen on the older cars is because they had a square screen that matched carplay. Now we have the ultra widescreens but carplay is still using the same shape.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,821 Likes on 2,554 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by darlop
The only reason its full screen on the older cars is because they had a square screen that matched carplay. Now we have the ultra widescreens but carplay is still using the same shape.
Not true. CarPlay supports widescreen just fine. On cars with COMAND 5.5 like my '19 C63S, CarPlay is widescreen, same on the PFL E Class. I posted this in the thread OP created in the GLE forum. The issue with MBUX is that they need screen area to display the home and notification button on the screen. They simply can't make it full screen w/o installing bigger screens. It's resolved in MBUX 2.0 in the new S and C Class, where they have much more screen real estate for all the other stuff.

MBUX:

COMAND:

Last edited by superswiss; 03-25-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:27 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by superswiss
Not true. CarPlay supports widescreen just fine. On cars with COMAND 5.5 like my '19 C63S, CarPlay is widescreen, same on the PFL E Class. I posted this in the thread OP created in the GLE forum. The issue with MBUX is that they need screen area to display the home and notification button on the screen. They simply can't make it full screen w/o installing bigger screens. It's resolved in MBUX 2.0 in the new S and C Class, where they have much more screen real estate for all the other stuff.

MBUX:

COMAND:
They could have easily relocated the notification icon to the left side. and make the left/right temperature indicators auto show/hide like they did with Command 5.5.
That could allow the existing screen space to be able to utilize wide aspect ratio CarPlay.
Something they can still do via software updates.....but I'm not holding my breath..