GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

LED trailer hitch cover issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 12:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 Diamond White E550 Cabriolet P2 Sport Ash interior
LED trailer hitch cover issues

I tried to install an LED trailer hitch cover that has both functions of coming on with the parking light and then getting brighter when they brakes are activated. The problem is the Mercedes thinks the trailer is hooked up to it so it disables the blind spot sensors, says that trailer lights need to be checked and ask if my NAV wants to take a better route for trailers. I know the Fords have had this problem and have just directly wired the hitch cover or light bar into a tail light with no problem but I’ve tried this with the GLS and I don’t know if it’s the LED tail lights or what but I can’t find a power wire. I tried an ohm meter and a 12 V test light. Does anyone know which wire is supposed to be the parking and which wire is supposed to be the brake? And more importantly would this work.

The fuses in the rear right quarter panel will not work because they stay hot all the time. There’s one under the hood labeled exterior light but I really did not want to run wires that far.

Last edited by MuddyBlueJeans; 04-01-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:31 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by MuddyBlueJeans
I tried to install an LED trailer hitch cover that has both functions of coming on with the parking light and then getting brighter when they brakes are activated. The problem is the Mercedes thinks the trailer is hooked up to it so it disables the blind spot sensors, says that trailer lights need to be checked and ask if my NAV wants to take a better route for trailers. I know the Fords have had this problem and have just directly wired the hitch cover or light bar into a tail light with no problem but I’ve tried this with the GLS and I don’t know if it’s the LED tail lights or what but I can’t find a power wire. I tried an ohm meter and a 12 V test light. Does anyone know which wire is supposed to be the parking and which wire is supposed to be the brake? And more importantly would this work.

The fuses in the rear right quarter panel will not work because they stay hot all the time. There’s one under the hood labeled exterior light but I really did not want to run wires that far.
Yup. I tried that and ran into the same issue.
I fiddled with that for a while and ultimately decided to get rid of it.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,175 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by MuddyBlueJeans

Those wires look like they've been attacked by the U-Haul monster. I'd check to make sure there isn't more damage than I can see, under the electrical tape that certainly isn't OE.
Then I'd just find a new home for your hitch light.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
2011 Diamond White E550 Cabriolet P2 Sport Ash interior
Originally Posted by mikapen
Those wires look like they've been attacked by the U-Haul monster. I'd check to make sure there isn't more damage than I can see, under the electrical tape that certainly isn't OE.
Then I'd just find a new home for your hitch light.
I unwound a small bit of the OEM cloth tape then nicked a small area of one of the wire coatings in a very small area (The wire is very small so the picture makes it look larger) but other then that it is all OEM. I covered the nick with a little liquid tape before putting it all back. But thank you for certainly assuming. The hitch is just her initials so I’ll just leave it as is and it won’t light up but it still looks good.

Last edited by MuddyBlueJeans; 04-02-2021 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (04-04-2021)