GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Got the dreaded call of potential delay… MY ‘21 GLS450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
‘21 AMG GTc, ‘23 EQS 580, ‘86 190e, ‘21 GLS 450, ’22 VW GTI, ‘22 Tesla Model Y Perf
Got the dreaded call of potential delay… MY ‘21 GLS450

Argh. My build date was yesterday (Aug 18th). My sales guy is the nicest and kindest sales guy I have worked with and he is super proactive. He sent me the VIN number yesterday. He had called me a couple of weeks to let me know that the AR will not be built given chip shortage. Today he called me to let me know that there is a blanket delay across every GLS and GLE due to chip shortage affecting rear seat power controls. He could not confirm if my car is affected or not but asked to brace for delays.

I’m dreading the coming days. My lease on XC90 Volvo was up last week and I turned it in. I have a 1986 190e and a Fiat Abarth 500c so can get by for a bit but need the large car to haul around all the stuff for the kids (I know first world problems). Perhaps this will lead us to be more mindful of what we haul.

Question for those who know in this group - what is the likelihood that My car is affected as well if a VIN number was assigned. Is it anyone’s guess now how long the delay will be (if indeed the car is delayed)?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2021, 10:36 PM

‘21 AMG GTc, ‘23 EQS 580, ‘86 190e, ‘21 GLS 450, ’22 VW GTI, ‘22 Tesla Model Y Perf
I would be curious to see if the length of delays are in anyway tied to the kind of / amount of options on the car. My GLS 450 was pretty well speced out to take it from $76k base to ~$91k sticker. Can those people post on this thread whose cars have been delayed OR received the car after delay and list out the options that they got on the car?

I’ll go first

2021 MB GLS 450
- Selenite Gray
- Machiato beige leather
- walnut trim
- Base 20” wheels
- Panorama roof
- Running boards
- Load sill protector
- heated steering wheel
- topstitched lower dash and upper doors
- warmth and comfort package
- air balance package
- driver assistance package
- multi contour seats package with massage
- power 2nd row window shades
- heated and cooled front cup holders
- 5 zone climate
- augmented video (though this will be cancelled per sales guy)
- heads up display
- soft close doors
- trailer hitch
- magic vision control

Old 08-20-2021, 12:30 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by GLSpotentialbuy
My lease on XC90 Volvo was up last week and I turned it in.
how come you didn't consider buying the XC90 at the end of the lease and selling it once you rolled into the GLS? there's some insane demand for used cars right now. in fact, that's what my sales associate has been recommending to all his clients - buy their cars at least end, hang on to them, then sell it back to the dealership when their next car comes in.

either way, good luck with the order!
Old 08-20-2021, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by jomama
how come you didn't consider buying the XC90 at the end of the lease and selling it once you rolled into the GLS? there's some insane demand for used cars right now. in fact, that's what my sales associate has been recommending to all his clients - buy their cars at least end, hang on to them, then sell it back to the dealership when their next car comes in.

either way, good luck with the order!
I’m kicking myself for not doing it. My SA did recommend I buy it. But on the bright side, I will get to drive my 190e more now!

Was your car delayed?

Last edited by GLSpotentialbuy; 08-22-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 01:06 AM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by GLSpotentialbuy
I’m kicking myself for not doing it. My SA did recommend I buy it. But in the bright side, I will get to drive my 190e more now!

Was your car delayed?
i ordered my GLS450 back in jan and it showed up mid may, which was in line with what my dealer had originally estimated. fwiw, i'm in norcal. we're lucky to have snuck ours in before the real delays started as we're expecting our second in january and our Q5 is barely cutting it with just one kid.

there's been minimal inventory of GLSs since the day i picked up. there was one in the showroom when i swung by last friday, and it was marked up $15k, non-negotiable.

have fun in the 190e! i've been eyeing the 190e 2.3-16 on bring a trailer. those are neat little cars, and quite a bit more affordable than the e30 m3 these days.