GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

2021 GLS 580 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 04:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
GLS 580
2021 GLS 580 Check Engine Light

I started the car in the morning four days ago, drove about one half mile and then stopped and shut the engine down because something did not feel right. The car felt like it was chugging or missing on a few cylinders. The yellow check engine light was also on. When I restarted the car, the check engine light immediately came on, but the car drove fine, so I drove to my destination. After an hour, I started the car again and the check engine light came on, so I called the dealer, who gave me the next available appointment, October 11, told me that the check engine light could mean "anything" and said that I should feel free to drive the car for the next twelve days because the yellow check engine light was not flashing. I probably started and drove the car ten times since the check engine light first came on. Each time, the engine felt fine and all systems seemed to be working, but the check engine light came on immediately upon startup,

This morning, I started the car and headed to church and, again, the check engine light came on immediately and the car drove fine. On startup after church, the check engine light did not illuminate and stayed off for one more startup after that. I checked on the MB app and there have been no recent software updates to the car.

I am going to take the car to the dealer for the October 11th appointment and insist that they run it through the diagnostics even if the check engine light does not come back on, but I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Something was obviously wrong on the startup that first brought on the check engine light, and I would like to share your experience with the service department if you have been through this and solved the mystery. I also wonder if other dealers around the country treat their customers so badly that it takes twelve days to get an appointment for service.
The following users liked this post:
LeighDavison (12-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
These new 167 GLE/S (aka one-sixty-lemons) have been plagued with problems going on 2 years now, but you already know that because you researched the vehicle before laying down such a large amount of cash.
Most MB dealerships are inundated with warranty work, have a shortage of loaner cars and lack enough qualified technicians and are scheduling appointments from 2 to 6 weeks out. You're no more important than anyone else who has car trouble.
If your car is running fine, no need to be concerned at the moment. Check Engine lights have been coming on since the mid-1980's and will continue to come on until the electric vehicles take over. The fault will be stored in memory and can be diagnosed (somewhat) when you bring the car in. It sounds like you'll have a stored misfire code.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 10-03-2021 at 09:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLS 580, 2022 Acura TLX, 2020 Tesla MY
Originally Posted by MS580
I started the car in the morning four days ago, drove about one half mile and then stopped and shut the engine down because something did not feel right. The car felt like it was chugging or missing on a few cylinders. The yellow check engine light was also on. When I restarted the car, the check engine light immediately came on, but the car drove fine, so I drove to my destination. After an hour, I started the car again and the check engine light came on, so I called the dealer, who gave me the next available appointment, October 11, told me that the check engine light could mean "anything" and said that I should feel free to drive the car for the next twelve days because the yellow check engine light was not flashing. I probably started and drove the car ten times since the check engine light first came on. Each time, the engine felt fine and all systems seemed to be working, but the check engine light came on immediately upon startup,

This morning, I started the car and headed to church and, again, the check engine light came on immediately and the car drove fine. On startup after church, the check engine light did not illuminate and stayed off for one more startup after that. I checked on the MB app and there have been no recent software updates to the car.

I am going to take the car to the dealer for the October 11th appointment and insist that they run it through the diagnostics even if the check engine light does not come back on, but I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Something was obviously wrong on the startup that first brought on the check engine light, and I would like to share your experience with the service department if you have been through this and solved the mystery. I also wonder if other dealers around the country treat their customers so badly that it takes twelve days to get an appointment for service.
I had a similar issue on Thursday with by GLS 580 with just about 1000 miles on it. I used an OBD-II reader and it showed me an error code of P2407 and P2610. The check engine light is no longer on but I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
Based on my reader P2407 indicates the Evaporative emission (EVAP) leak detection pump sense circuit is intermittent/erratic.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLS 580, 2022 Acura TLX, 2020 Tesla MY
Originally Posted by Dreamzz2004
I had a similar issue on Thursday with by GLS 580 with just about 1000 miles on it. I used an OBD-II reader and it showed me an error code of P2407 and P2610. The check engine light is no longer on but I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.
Based on my reader P2407 indicates the Evaporative emission (EVAP) leak detection pump sense circuit is intermittent/erratic.
Dealer kept the car for two days and could not reproduce the issue or identify anything as the check engine light had reset by then.
I have been asked to bring the car in immediately if the issue happens again.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63s amg 2017, GLS 580 2020
It happened to me, I went to the dealer and suddenly the light just dissaperd

Any way if its yellow light don't worry but in case it was red light stop the car immediately

Old 10-07-2021, 07:52 AM

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
I think yellow check engine is generally for an emissions related issue. From my prior experience with other brands, the fault codes are stored in the OBDII, so the dealer should at least have had access to that info, even if they couldn’t find any cause. I have seen situations where a check engine light will clear itself if the problem that caused it goes away and you drive for 20 minutes or similar. I’ve had that situation in a Porsche. It can be as simple as a gas cap not screwed back tightly enough to seal the emissions system. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it occurs again.