GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Insane Road Rash - 22 GLS450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2022 | 04:15 PM

2021 G63
Insane Road Rash - 22 GLS450

So I unloaded my 21 G63 because the markets absolutely insane, and swapped into a 22 GLS450 for the time being.

Car has about 500 miles after 2 weeks and been great so far. It’s Emerald Green w the AMG Night package and 22” AMG 10-spokes.

What’s not going well is the road rash…. rear fenders and lower half of the doors on both sides. Front and rear bumpers are fine, but the rock chips are through the clear and catch finger nails on almost all of them.

Has anyone experienced this? Do front mud flaps solve this? Have owned a lot of cars and never experienced this (even a 16 G63 where the fenders and bumpers have a 2” gap).

And I realize this is one of the negative perks of the PNW, we use gravel on winter roads instead of salt .

Old 01-23-2022 | 12:42 PM

Porsche: 981.2s / 997.2s / 9Y0.1s Range Rover: RRS RRFF Mercedes: 2022 GLS450
Wow. I know the Cinder they use here in Oregon is nasty but I didn't think it would do that in such short order. I have the running boards and I have noticed that they get dirty really really fast so they may be catching what is flinging up and possibly acting as a shield for some of it. I made sure to put paint protection film on the front and the dealer also put it on the lower rocker panels and wheel wells right where you are showing the road rash, maybe they had previous experience with this issue because I did not ask for that. I just checked it and I don't have any damage at all on mine. Another not so helpful culprit are your Summer compounded tires, they are going to pick up and toss the cinder much more than other tires.
Old 01-23-2022 | 03:14 PM

2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
I have mud flaps and running boards and still had some splash onto the rear wheel molding so I added PPF to that part of the molding. Looks OK now.

I see you have the summer tires on for the winter. Have you experienced any problems or cracking in the rubber? Continental does not recommend using these in freezing weather and will not warranty them for cracking due to cold weather use. I wanted to use my 22in Conti 6 for the winter here since normally I would go south for 3 months and would only have used them in the shoulder seasons and to go south. Prefer to have all season but none are available in a size to fit the 22 and keep the tire diameter front and rear the same.
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (01-18-2024)
Old 01-28-2022 | 12:34 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
You must have been driving really fast on a very salted road.
PPF plus ceramic coating, or one or the other, but you will have to do major paint correction first before you put on the protectors

Old 01-30-2022 | 08:04 PM

2021 GLS 580 / 24 GMC Duramax Denali / 23 Bronco Wildtrak / 21 Jeep JLUR
I have to agree with what marchgroupinc posted above about your summer tires. I know depending on where you are in the PNW maybe you get snow or not since it can be a moderate maritime climate. However your location is Oregon I and suspect you get below 45 degrees and some freezing precipitation plus the DOT was spreading gravel on the highway. You need to have all season tires at a minimum or a winter setup. Operating like this in cold weather especially if you get freezing precipitation is a death wish. Those soft compound three season tires are going to throw everything. The gravel the DOT uses to save the environment is ruining your car. I would get the thickest PPF you can apply but appears as it is too late. Hate to see this on a new car.
The following users liked this post:
Splaktar (01-18-2024)
Old 01-30-2022 | 11:45 PM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by nova99
I have to agree with what marchgroupinc posted above about your summer tires. I know depending on where you are in the PNW maybe you get snow or not since it can be a moderate maritime climate. However your location is Oregon I and suspect you get below 45 degrees and some freezing precipitation plus the DOT was spreading gravel on the highway. You need to have all season tires at a minimum or a winter setup. Operating like this in cold weather especially if you get freezing precipitation is a death wish. Those soft compound three season tires are going to throw everything. The gravel the DOT uses to save the environment is ruining your car. I would get the thickest PPF you can apply but appears as it is too late. Hate to see this on a new car.
Snow tires and wheels are back ordered from TireRack, I ordered two weeks before delivery and they still aren’t here. The winter set up from my previous G63 also doesn’t fit. I do know the importance of proper tires and winter driving.

Regardless of winter tire set up, I have never had a vehicle with so much of the front tire exposed to the side skirt and door panels. If I’m on gravel in summer or on non-paved roads I’m going to have the same issue…

I’ve got mud flaps on order and will get it repainted in the summer before selling. No point in doing it now.

Old 01-30-2022 | 11:47 PM

2021 G63
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
You must have been driving really fast on a very salted road.
PPF plus ceramic coating, or one or the other, but you will have to do major paint correction first before you put on the protectors

Nope to both. We don’t use salt here, and I can assure you I wasn’t driving fast where it was messy enough to need gravel/cinder down.