Active assist problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS 450
Active assist problem

I have 2020 GLS 450
4 times I left my car on dealer, they changed some parts at every visit, last time they kept my car 12 days, yesterday I’ve picked the car and after 30 miles of driving same problem reappeared,sometimes it is enough to drive a couple minutes to see this problem.

As you see on my pictures, I have sign on cluster and active lane change assist telling “function unavailable”. Sometimes after a couple miles sign disappears by it self, sometimes after when I turn ignition OFF then ON. At same time active lane change assist start to work again.
they changed front cameras, lenses, some another tings in front of my car.
I think problem can also be in the rear of the car(sensors,camera)
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

P.S. forgot to say, after 1st visit to the dealer( was replaced front windshield camera and lens) traffic sign assist doesn’t show correct speed limit on the road.lot of times I see on the cluster 55mph, but on the roads another speed limits.

Last edited by Fishlover; 03-16-2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by Fishlover
I have 2020 GLS 450
4 times I left my car on dealer, they changed some parts at every visit, last time they kept my car 12 days, yesterday I’ve picked the car and after 30 miles of driving same problem reappeared,sometimes it is enough to drive a couple minutes to see this problem.

As you see on my pictures, I have sign on cluster and active lane change assist telling “function unavailable”. Sometimes after a couple miles sign disappears by it self, sometimes after when I turn ignition OFF then ON. At same time active lane change assist start to work again.
they changed front cameras, lenses, some another tings in front of my car.
I think problem can also be in the rear of the car(sensors,camera)
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

P.S. forgot to say, after 1st visit to the dealer( was replaced front windshield camera and lens) traffic sign assist doesn’t show correct speed limit on the road.lot of times I see on the cluster 55mph, but on the roads another speed limits.

I know exactly what you're talking about.
I get that a few times a week. like you said, most of the time, it'll clear out eventually and I get the function back.
My independent shop guy suspects that it's the camera up front on the windshield. if it can't clearly see the road up ahead. or if it can't decipher what it sees, then that error would pop. I don't think it has anything to do with your rear sensors.
I took my GLS to the dealer a few times. I've been told that there's nothing that they can do unless the problem happens on regular basis in repeatable fashion. I showed them my pictures and I even took the video.
....but they can't do much unless they themselves can replicate..... frustrating...

The following users liked this post:
Fishlover (03-16-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 09:33 PM

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
a
I get it all the time. I don't think its something that can be fixed. Sometimes its random, sometimes it seems to happen when I turn into the sun, or its raining or the windshield might be dirty, etc.

The speed limit comes from the same camera reading the signs and it often can miss them so it still shows the limit from the last sign it saw. I've exited a freeway and driven 2 miles down a small side road while it is still showing 65mph.

None of these features should be relied on for safety and this is exactly why self-driving cars will never be 100% reliable.
The following users liked this post:
Fishlover (03-17-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 04:54 PM

a
Originally Posted by darlop
I get it all the time. I don't think its something that can be fixed. Sometimes its random, sometimes it seems to happen when I turn into the sun, or its raining or the windshield might be dirty, etc.
So let me correct myself. Last time I was getting service the advisor saw the "camera view restricted" message and suggested I get it fixed. It took them a couple of days but they said they took apart the camera and cleaned it and sure enough I don't see this message anymore. Definitely get this checked out if you see this message all the time.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:26 PM

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I had the same problem and they looked at it during the B service. The advisor wasn't quite sure about the solution, but the techs scanned the car and got GPS error codes meaning there was a loss of GPS signal...not sure the advisor bought that, I know I didn't. They did some smoke and mirrors stuff and the problem went away...it's been a week, I'll see if it really fixed it.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS 450
Fixed

I bought a windshield camera on eBay, went to an independent Mercedes auto repair shop to calibrate. Since I did this in April, I have never had a problem again.

Last edited by Fishlover; 12-17-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 410 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
I get the same thing for the automatic high beam headlights sometimes too. The windshield is clean. I’m about to install one of those fitmax cameras and think I will try to clean the lens and while doing the install.

I wonder if that part of the windshield is just hazy by the outgassing process of a new car. I’m sure you’ve seen those windshields before that have that hazy buildup on the inside. If the camera is not sealed to the windshield itself, then I’m thinking there really isn’t anything that would prevent the haze from forming on the lens and thst part of the windshield too.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:50 AM

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by nc211
I get the same thing for the automatic high beam headlights sometimes too. The windshield is clean. I’m about to install one of those fitmax cameras and think I will try to clean the lens and while doing the install.

I wonder if that part of the windshield is just hazy by the outgassing process of a new car. I’m sure you’ve seen those windshields before that have that hazy buildup on the inside. If the camera is not sealed to the windshield itself, then I’m thinking there really isn’t anything that would prevent the haze from forming on the lens and thst part of the windshield too.
as I mentioned earlier, I get these errors sometimes now and then. then it'll clear it self up again in a bit, most of the times. annoying but I learned to live with it over the years. my GLS580 was one of the very first produced back then.

I just picked up a brand new custom ordered GLB35 AMG. a brand new build with every conceivable options. And when it arrived, it threw 4 different assistance system errors.
my service department discovered that the vehicle needed FIVE modules of software updates... WTH????? a brand new vehicle from factory???
and with all the software updates, my GLB works just fine now.

since my GLS was never been s/w updated, I'm curious to see how many s/w updates are due.
hopefully, it'll have some updates and the annoying assistance errors will be gone perhaps??? fingers crossed.

my point here is that just because your car is relatively new, or even completely just arrived new, don't assume all the software is up to date.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:23 PM

a
Its been 2 weeks since I got mine fixed and I don't think I've seen the message since. I used to get it multiple times a day.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLS 580
I got that same error message at least once each time that I drove my 2021 GLS 580. On longer drives, the message would appear multiple times. On my second visit to the dealer for this problem, some error codes were found and the camera was replaced. It only took the geniuses sixteen days to get to that solution. I have driven the car three times since getting it back and have not seen the camera error message. Is it fixed? The probabilities are that after fiddling around for sixteen days, they did not fix the problem, but we shall see.......