GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

GLS build questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2022 | 07:23 PM

GLE
GLS build questions

My dealer has a GLS coming in that doesn't have many things I have wanted, but does have the colors I like and a non inflated pice.

The one thing I am truly concerned about is the second row airbag option not being on it. I have two kids and it seems wrong to not have the extra safety option. I can't believe it's actually an option to be honest. Am I missing something? Are there airbags in the second row standard and these are some sort of extra?

Also, does the sound reduction option make a big difference? I was looking forward to a very quiet car.

Thank you!
Old 03-17-2022 | 08:31 AM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I would not compromise on both those options.

Old 03-17-2022 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by Flashy09
My dealer has a GLS coming in that doesn't have many things I have wanted, but does have the colors I like and a non inflated pice.

The one thing I am truly concerned about is the second row airbag option not being on it. I have two kids and it seems wrong to not have the extra safety option. I can't believe it's actually an option to be honest. Am I missing something? Are there airbags in the second row standard and these are some sort of extra?

Also, does the sound reduction option make a big difference? I was looking forward to a very quiet car.

Thank you!
The side air curtain covers the 2nd row. The rear seat bags are optional. Given the extra stiffening in the side of the chassis I don't think they are necessary. The front seat bags are necessary because the B pillar will deform on a side impact.
The following users liked this post:
wamochi (03-18-2022)
Old 03-21-2022 | 07:06 AM

GLE
Does the GLE have this extra airbag option? I don't see it in the build, but I taught the GLE and GLS were essentially the same car in the first two rows?
Old 03-21-2022 | 08:06 AM

C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
The 167 GLE has always had the 293 Airbag option. It is not showing on the MB Build Site, but it is in the order guide for 2022. It may have been removed due to lack of availability (or could just be a mistake on the build site).
Old 03-21-2022 | 10:26 AM

GLE
Thank you! Why does the GLS remove a standard safety feature that the GLE has?
Old 03-21-2022 | 10:31 AM

C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Sorry, if I wasn't clear. It is an option on the GLE as well as the GLS -- available (when there is no parts shortage) but not standard on either.
Old 04-02-2022 | 11:11 PM

2022 GLE450
The airbag is an option on he GLE but not listed on the website but it is for dealers.
Old 04-04-2022 | 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
They're an incredibly rare option that I've essentially only ever seen on special ordered vehicles. I've also heard they may not work so well with car seats. On the one hand it seems silly to compromise on that, on the other hand you probably aren't going to stumble across one with it, and it seems like the GLS is an incredibly safe car even without it given that 95+% of GLEs and GLSs don't have it optioned.

As for the extra sound deatening, again it makes a noticable difference but the car is already incredibly quiet and insulated, and I've heard it can block cell phone and toll transponder signals sometimes.

If you're coming from a Rolls Royce Cullinan and are a bad driver with teen kids, I wouldn't compromise and would put in a facotry order to get those two rare options. But if you are coming from a Honda Pilot and have kids in baby seats or booster seats, I don;t think missing those two options should be that big of a deal.
Old 04-04-2022 | 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Flashy09

Thank you!
Though rear airbags sound like a great idea its benefits are still to be proven. The most important safety item for the rear seat is well worn seatbelts. Toddlers of course requie car seats for obvious reasons. Lastly rear airbags are designed for adults their effectiness on children are even more nebulous. More is not alway better. The front seat front middle console airbag, which has proven effectiveness in side crashes is not available in the US. The acoustic glass is a good addition particularly since it also includes heat reflecting windshield a welcome addition anywhere. The GLS particularly the 580 with Eactive suspension is the best large SUV in the market bar none. Woth every penney.