GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Gls 450 with rear bench seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gls 450 with rear bench seat

Hello all,

Does anyone have a gls 450 with the middle bench seat ? If yes, are they any more or less comfortable than the captain’s chairs or no difference? Does the bench seat configuration come with a tablet in the middle seat folded down or is that only for the Amy 63?if available on the gls 450 what is the option called? Please share pictures if possible.

lastly, does the 2nd row in the gls have more legroom than the gle or are they the same?

I’ve seen the following gls 63 on YouTube, not sure what country this build is from..

Last edited by benzify; 04-10-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 473 Likes on 350 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I don't own either but have sat in many GLSs in my local dealership. I find no comfort difference aside from the placement of the middle armrest on captains chair vs bench seat. Same seat bottom height, same recline, etc. The only differences for me as follows:
Captains chair pro: can get into the third row with car seats in second row
Bench pro: electric seats that move out of your way on both sides, not just passanger side
Bench pro: can move the seats out of the way or lock them back in from the third row

As for the tablet, that's part of the executive rear seat package/ package plus which includes a number of things.
1) Bigger center console/armrest
2) tablet
3) wireless charging pad
4) front console comes out farther for cup holders to the same position as if it had captains chairs - takes away some foot space
5) pillow headrests
6) extra wondow switches - can control both side windows and sunroof shade
If you get the plus version (only version available on the '21/'22 580 and on the '22 63) you also get ventillated and massaging outboard seats

It was available in the US on the 450 for the 2020 model year but was very rare. It's been available and is still (well when they go back into production) on the 580 and 63.

Finally, yes I believe the GLS has slightly more second row legroom then the GLE but the gLE is already one of the largest in it's class. Both are very spacious and comfortable, far more so then the X5/X7 for me.
The following users liked this post:
benzify (04-12-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
We have the bench, non-executive package (meaning no tablet, just folding arm rest). We specifically wanted the bench over the captain chairs. We have two kids, with the occasional 3rd (son's friend) riding with us. We used to have captains in our old Toyota Highlander. The reason we wanted the bench was for more seating space in the main seating areas of the car for us 99% of the time. With two adults and 3 kids in the back, it means we can leave the 3rd row folded down for cargo, instead of having to lift one of them up. We also like the ease of cleaning on a normal basis. We found in the Toyota that crumbs and chicken nuggets and Spiderman action figures would get down between the two separate seats all the friggin' time. With the bench, it just sits on the middle seat and easy for us to clean up. Have no regrets with the bench, and doubt we would've bought it had we been forced to go with the captain chairs.

We also liked how it made the overall vehicle feel more "complete" to us. No open tunnel down the middle to a 3rd row that we hardly ever need to use. Also makes it easier to manage the dog (110lb lab) by installing an aftermarket gate along the top of the back of the second row. No tunnel for him to sneak under.

If we want to split the two rear seats apart though, it's as easy as just lowering the back to the center seat (detaches separately if you want it to) and it acts like a center arm rest area between the two seats. We bought one of those plastic refrigerator tray things, put some sticky feet on the bottom of it so it grips the carpeted area of the back of the center seat back when folded down, and they can snack out of that. Works like a charm.

I say go with the bench, and skip the tablet. Unless if you're being driven (instead of being the driver), I see no real need for the tablet whatsoever. The bench let's you have a 5 seater without having to fuss with the 3rd row.
The following users liked this post:
benzify (04-12-2022)