Tire wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Originally Posted by chassis
Weight as a reason for tire wear is false, and a statement by the dealer stoolie designed to fluff off the consumer from asking more questions.

MB chose their alignment and wheel/tire combination poorly. It’s a design defect by MB, one of many.
German cars in general kick in those rear wheels to keep the car planted at high speeds. All of my VW’s were like that, as is my w212. Yet I could get 40k-45k of miles out of the VW even with driving it like a lunatic (which GTI’s beg for). On my 212, I just cruise about and have had no mileage issues on those tires. All low(ish) profile tires too. I do think weight plays a factor, but is not the only factor here. I agree, its also the way the car’s alignment is set up. Given how big the GLS is, the last thing I ever want my family to experience is seeing the back end come around to the front.

I think the lower the profile, the less wiggle room of the tire to the pavement, making it far easier to chew up the tread.

chassis, i respect your contributions tremendously on here, but I just have to ask - why do you own a MB? You seem like you hate the brand and don’t trust them. I’m not trying to take a dig atcha’, I am genuinely curious. Why do this to yourself if they make you so unhappy?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 07:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,604 Likes on 2,214 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nc211
German cars in general kick in those rear wheels to keep the car planted at high speeds. All of my VW’s were like that, as is my w212. Yet I could get 40k-45k of miles out of the VW even with driving it like a lunatic (which GTI’s beg for). On my 212, I just cruise about and have had no mileage issues on those tires. All low(ish) profile tires too. I do think weight plays a factor, but is not the only factor here. I agree, its also the way the car’s alignment is set up. Given how big the GLS is, the last thing I ever want my family to experience is seeing the back end come around to the front.

I think the lower the profile, the less wiggle room of the tire to the pavement, making it far easier to chew up the tread.

chassis, i respect your contributions tremendously on here, but I just have to ask - why do you own a MB? You seem like you hate the brand and don’t trust them. I’m not trying to take a dig atcha’, I am genuinely curious. Why do this to yourself if they make you so unhappy?
Forum member chassis doesn't like MB or at least not anymore and not the products they put out but like their own car.
Old 04-13-2023, 08:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Forum member chassis doesn't like MB or at least not anymore and not the products they put out but like their own car.
Okay, nevermind, I came across this thread just now: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...il-2022-a.html
Old 04-13-2023, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Okay, nevermind, I came across this thread just now: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...il-2022-a.html
No argument there, that is a true upgrade for Chassis! Very nice amigo! You will love the new ride, and I presume it has the awesome dual clutch gear box as well. I miss that feature on my toy GTI (I regret selling it last year). The Cayenne is near the top of my list too for when it cones time to retire the w212.

look up apr tuning. You’ll be stunned what a basic computer remapping can do for that engine. I had it on my last two GTI’s with zero issues for years. Literally took my last one from 205hp to nearly 320 all by itself, and was linear throughout. Basically turned the car into what Porsche would’ve made if they made a front wheel drive pocket rocket..
Old 04-15-2023, 06:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by nc211
No argument there, that is a true upgrade for Chassis! Very nice amigo! You will love the new ride, and I presume it has the awesome dual clutch gear box as well. I miss that feature on my toy GTI (I regret selling it last year). The Cayenne is near the top of my list too for when it cones time to retire the w212.

look up apr tuning. You’ll be stunned what a basic computer remapping can do for that engine. I had it on my last two GTI’s with zero issues for years. Literally took my last one from 205hp to nearly 320 all by itself, and was linear throughout. Basically turned the car into what Porsche would’ve made if they made a front wheel drive pocket rocket..
You should post this to his thread as well if you haven't already : )