GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Installed radar detector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 03:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 GLS 450
Installed radar detector

Installed my valentine one gen2 in my GLS this past week.
I don’t like suction cup mounts so retro fitted a radar mount I got off Amazon and clamped it to the sun visor mount. This gets it off the windshield and close to the IR coating “window”.
Just had to add some longer screws so it could get around the visor mount. Then I also flipped the attachment point on the valentine clip so I could get a better angle for mounting.

I’m going to try and retro fit a blend mount next as they are a little more streamlined but waiting on parts to do that. I’m hoping this wall also let me get the detector another inch or so higher.

I also hard wired it by running a wire down the passenger side pillar and then running another wire all the way to the rear fuse panel, going under the door sill trim and carpet. I used a add a circuit fuse for the rear and connected to the 12v socket fuse which is switched .
Then used valentines hard wire kit behind the front fuse panel to connect the 2 wires together.
The following 3 users liked this post by TxBrian:
codecode (02-14-2023), Lanzz (06-05-2022), z28lt1 (06-04-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 01:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Porsche: 981.2s / 997.2s / 9Y0.1s Range Rover: RRS RRFF Mercedes: 2022 GLS450
Nice Job. I have hardwired all of my cars for the past 20 years for the V1 and this was the first one that I looked at and said FTS and handed it over to my expert mechanic to install for me. Also had to have him install a Blackvue which was simply a pain to do in this vehicle.

Mercedes needs to read this and see that their openings in the insulted windshields are horribly placed, they really need another one on the drivers side high up. Additionally that one at the bottom center is worthless, they need one at the bottom drivers side as no carwash RFID sticker works in any spot in this vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
TxBrian (06-16-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 03:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
AMG GLE63S, X5M Comp, CTT, ZO6, Raptor
Is there no option to use a MirrorTap to connect the radar? There has to be 12v switched power in the mirror or overhead In that area.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:16 PM

2022 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Vyper340vb
Is there no option to use a MirrorTap to connect the radar? There has to be 12v switched power in the mirror or overhead In that area.
Everything I found when researching was no switched 12v at the mirror but I actually didn’t test it myself. Running a wire to the back fuse box was easy and took 10-15 minutes.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by TxBrian
Installed my valentine one gen2 in my GLS this past week.
I don’t like suction cup mounts so retro fitted a radar mount I got off Amazon and clamped it to the sun visor mount. This gets it off the windshield and close to the IR coating “window”.
Just had to add some longer screws so it could get around the visor mount. Then I also flipped the attachment point on the valentine clip so I could get a better angle for mounting.

I’m going to try and retro fit a blend mount next as they are a little more streamlined but waiting on parts to do that. I’m hoping this wall also let me get the detector another inch or so higher.

I also hard wired it by running a wire down the passenger side pillar and then running another wire all the way to the rear fuse panel, going under the door sill trim and carpet. I used a add a circuit fuse for the rear and connected to the 12v socket fuse which is switched .
Then used valentines hard wire kit behind the front fuse panel to connect the 2 wires together.
Which mount and wire (link?) from Amazon did you chose?
Old 06-21-2022, 08:10 AM

2022 GLS 450
Which mount and wire (link?) from Amazon did you chose?
This is the mount.
Radar Mount Mirror Mount Bracket for Valentine V1 Radar Detectors - V1 (3001004) https://a.co/d/bC9U0jl

I just had to get longer screws to clamp around the visor mount. I believe they were 70 or 80mm long.
I then reversed the mirror part of the bracket so the flat part was against the visor mount instead of the rounded part that would normally be against the mirror post.

I also changed where the Amazon mirror mount attached to the valentine detector. Just had to drill 2 small holes for the screws to go through. (Marked in red on attached pic)

I used the valentine straight cable (8’ long) from the detector down to the passenger side footwell. At that panel, I used the valentine direct wire power adapter they sell and from that point, I just ran an 18 gauge automotive power cable back to the rear fuse panel. At the rear fuse panel , I used a standard add a circuit fuse from an auto parts store. Like this:
Uriveusa 12V Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Fuse Holder with 10A, 20A Fuse [Upgraded Fuses] - (2 Pack) (Mini Fuse) https://a.co/d/eDBJV51

Valentine power adapter:
https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=00030

Hope that helps.

Vyper340vb (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 08:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
GLS 450
Nope. The power signals while they are 12V, they are pulse width modulated which means they cannot power the detector. I tried and when it didn't work, I took it to Best Buy who did the hard wire to the rear and they confirmed there is only PWM power at the front of the vehicle (even the fuse boxes). I had them do a rear camera which involved dismantling tail gate fascia and radar detector install for a very reasonable $159.
Vyper340vb (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by TxBrian
This is the mount.
Radar Mount Mirror Mount Bracket for Valentine V1 Radar Detectors - V1 (3001004) https://a.co/d/bC9U0jl

I just had to get longer screws to clamp around the visor mount. I believe they were 70 or 80mm long.
I then reversed the mirror part of the bracket so the flat part was against the visor mount instead of the rounded part that would normally be against the mirror post.

I also changed where the Amazon mirror mount attached to the valentine detector. Just had to drill 2 small holes for the screws to go through. (Marked in red on attached pic)

I used the valentine straight cable (8’ long) from the detector down to the passenger side footwell. At that panel, I used the valentine direct wire power adapter they sell and from that point, I just ran an 18 gauge automotive power cable back to the rear fuse panel. At the rear fuse panel , I used a standard add a circuit fuse from an auto parts store. Like this:
Uriveusa 12V Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Fuse Holder with 10A, 20A Fuse [Upgraded Fuses] - (2 Pack) (Mini Fuse) https://a.co/d/eDBJV51

Valentine power adapter:
https://store.valentine1.com/store/item.asp?i=00030

Hope that helps.
Excellent! Thanks for the information. Glad to learn this before I wasted hours trying to find power in the mirror. Love the stealthy mount and since I go through cars to often it doesn't make sense for me to get the permanent install detectors.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the kit ideas. Got the same one but for the Uniden R7. Extension screws needed are M4 and 70 mm long or #6 x 3” will work ok. also able to mount the EZ Pass above in the location recommended my Merc for least ration interference.

Now I just need to remove the A pillar and run the wires.

Any difficulty removing any panels? Any advice for running the wire back to the rear fuse panel? Pic of wired panel? Thanks.

Last edited by Vyper340vb; 06-26-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:44 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thanks for the kit ideas. Got the same one but for the Uniden R7. Extension screws needed are M4 and 70 mm long or #6 x 3” will work ok. also able to mount the EZ Pass above in the location recommended my Merc for least ration interference.

Now I just need to remove the A pillar and run the wires.

Any difficulty removing any panels? Any advice for running the wire back to the rear fuse panel? Pic of wired panel? Thanks.
No difficulty, just takes a little fiddling to figure out the best way to remove the panels.
On the A pillar, you pop the airbag plug out first then pull the cover away and out. The one below also just pulls straight back and out.
I popped off the 2 door threshold pieces also. The rest I just used a small plastic fish tape I had and fed it through the other areas to snake the wire through.

Here’s a pic of the rear fuse panel with the add a fuse on the bottom.

In case you didn’t know , at the top of the rear fuse panel is a printed sheet with all the fuse locations and descriptions. It’s folded up and tucked in a slot at the top.

Vyper340vb (06-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2023, 02:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2022 GLS 580, 2021 Sprinter Crew
What kind of fuse tap connector should I buy to connect the Viofo A139 Pro dash camera? Are they ATS, ATC, Mini, Micro?
Old 01-15-2024, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E400 Wagon, 2018 GLS550
Ground point

Curious where you found a good ground in the footwell on the passenger side?
Old 03-22-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
21 E450 Wagon and 07 SL55
I know this is an older post but I just had to wire the radar detector in my wife 21 GLS 580 and found that if you remove the wood panel with the touch pad in the center console you can access the section with the grab handles and under that is the power for the 12 accessory socket.

You unsnap the cover from the palm rest remove the 2 bolts then you can pull the back up of wood panel to remove the panel. 4 more bolts hold the grab handles and the power for the accessory socket is now visible.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 616 Likes on 455 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Eraser-X
I know this is an older post but I just had to wire the radar detector in my wife 21 GLS 580 and found that if you remove the wood panel with the touch pad in the center console you can access the section with the grab handles and under that is the power for the 12 accessory socket.

You unsnap the cover from the palm rest remove the 2 bolts then you can pull the back up of wood panel to remove the panel. 4 more bolts hold the grab handles and the power for the accessory socket is now visible.
This might help too:

Hopefully no one here ever has to get into their dash but the same mechanic records this entire process. It's worth bookmarking just for reference of getting into other parts of the GLE/GLS:

If his videos are helpful, make sure to give it a thumbs up since I'm sure it'll help him and make him want to post more.

Last edited by wildta; 03-22-2024 at 02:04 PM.
mikapen (03-22-2024)